bold predictions
2 3 4 6
2 3 4 6
Posted by grognard262 forar

forar wrote:
"Update that fully vaccinated people no longer need to wear a mask or physically distance in any setting, except where required by federal, state, local, tribal, or territorial laws, rules, and regulations, including local business and workplace guidance"

Which adds a wee bit more nuance to the statement.

Well, I omitted that last part because it seemed irrelevant as far as Gen Con goes -- by September there will be no restrictions whatsoever on the convention other than what it chooses to impose on itself.  Certainly the State of Indiana and local officials are not going to continue for months with restrictions that exceed what the CDC is recommending.  The ICC certainly won't.  Rather, this new guidance will trigger a stampede to reopen everything to full capacity -- every sporting event, rock concert, movie theater, convention, etc.

I suspect that this new guidance will turn much of Gen Con's planning on its head.  They were anticipating an attendance capped, socially distanced convention, and in the coming days and weeks the need for that will vanish, at least as far as public health authorities are concerned.  Perhaps they will carve out some "safe spaces" in the form of some masks-required events in distanced rooms, but other than that there will be immense pressure from every direction to have a fully open Gen Con.

Posted by cmegus

Which now makes you wonder if moving the dates on Gen Con to Sept was really a good idea or an over-reaction…

G

Posted by wavester garhkal

garhkal wrote:
noone wrote:
By showing your cdc vaccine card you receive after you get vaccinated 
I was more on.. Say i am from state Gobbldygook..  They do NOT require the vaccine, or mandate vaccine passports..  If i go to indy, and for some reason they DO require it there (not saying they ever will, but who knows), how do i comply with that?

Same way you comply with state laws that change as you cross state lines every single day. This is nothing new.

Posted by mpagnotta310 cmegus

cmegus wrote:
Which now makes you wonder if moving the dates on Gen Con to Sept was really a good idea or an over-reaction…
G

There’s no harm in acting under an abundance of caution. Based on the time the decision was made, that was the best move. Hindsight is always 20/20.

Posted by kevinrg cmegus

Having 4 months to react now is better than 2 1/2 months.    Every little bit helps.

Posted by hkeaton75

I believe if they were going to require vaccinations, they would've announced it by now to give people time to get it. Plus, if someone doesn't have the vaccine and can't go, they would want those details before they purchase their badge, which is just over a week away.

Posted by elvinlord grognard262

chaoticneutral262 wrote:
The CDC just issued guidance that masks are no longer required for fully vaccinated people in any setting.
except that's not what was stated.  There are still recommendations that people on public transport air, rail, train and in close quarters like jails and homelessness shelters continue wearing mask.  They also recommend large gatherings in tight quarters continue wearing masks, though that's in their talking points not really stated on the website announcement.

Of course what everyone will hear vaccinated or not "I don't have to wear a mask period". The exceptions matter for gencon con cause it is the definition of close tight quarters in normal years.  From a practical point you really can't have masks only for unvaccinated it's completely unenforceable and just a bad policy.  

It certainly bodes well for greatly loosened mask requirements come gencon time.

Posted by garhkal cmegus

cmegus wrote:
G

I'd rather they have done it, than keep it as is, HOPING things changed..

Posted by lore seeker

Yeah, earlier in the year we had no idea things would be going as well as they are now. Better to be sure.

Posted by squirecam elvinlord

elvinlord wrote:
chaoticneutral262 wrote:
The CDC just issued guidance that masks are no longer required for fully vaccinated people in any setting.
except that's not what was stated.  There are still recommendations that people on public transport air, rail, train and in close quarters like jails and homelessness shelters continue wearing mask.  They also recommend large gatherings in tight quarters continue wearing masks, though that's in their talking points not really stated on the website announcement.Of course what everyone will hear vaccinated or not "I don't have to wear a mask period". The exceptions matter for gencon con cause it is the definition of close tight quarters in normal years.  From a practical point you really can't have masks only for unvaccinated it's completely unenforceable and just a bad policy.  
It certainly bodes well for greatly loosened mask requirements come gencon time.

As I have to fly, I was informed that the mask mandate for air travel remains until September. So it may still be required come Gencon, not just encouraged.

Posted by fethbone

I do not believe the federal mandate on airports and other public transportation is long for this world after most areas have essentially lifted their mask mandates. Certainly individual airlines can continue to try and require/enforce masking at their own discretion after that, of course. I fly -and have been flying- pretty much every month, and from my observation, the airports are almost as full as they used to be and many people (including crew) are compliant but seem somewhat Over It. Though the one good thing about wearing a mask on the plane is that nobody can see your mouth fall open when you fall asleep in your seat.

Of course, six extra weeks does help from a planning perspective, but moving the con to September also helps self-select out the portion of prospective attendees with commitments to the Education calendar, thus reducing the number of people trying to buy badges. I don’t think this was a primary motivator for moving the date, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it was something that was kept in mind as the decision was being made. Just like there is a better chance in September of it being slightly less hot, so maybe more people will be apt to socialize outside. 

Posted by mikeboozer fethbone

fethbone wrote:
I do not believe the federal mandate on airports and other public transportation is long for this world after most areas have essentially lifted their mask mandates. Certainly individual airlines can continue to try and require/enforce masking at their own discretion after that, of course. I fly -and have been flying- pretty much every month, and from my observation, the airports are almost as full as they used to be and many people (including crew) are compliant but seem somewhat Over It. Though the one good thing about wearing a mask on the plane is that nobody can see your mouth fall open when you fall asleep in your seat.
Of course, six extra weeks does help from a planning perspective, but moving the con to September also helps self-select out the portion of prospective attendees with commitments to the Education calendar, thus reducing the number of people trying to buy badges. I don’t think this was a primary motivator for moving the date, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it was something that was kept in mind as the decision was being made. Just like there is a better chance in September of it being slightly less hot, so maybe more people will be apt to socialize outside. 

Be assured that the primary motivator for moving the event is the increased ability to have an event that people could attend in a safer environment.

Mike

Posted by garhkal lore seeker

father bloodlust wrote:
Yeah, earlier in the year we had no idea things would be going as well as they are now. Better to be sure.

As the saying goes.  Hope for the best, plan for the worst.

Posted by forar hkeaton75

hkeaton75 wrote:
I believe if they were going to require vaccinations, they would've announced it by now to give people time to get it. Plus, if someone doesn't have the vaccine and can't go, they would want those details before they purchase their badge, which is just over a week away.

This is actually a really good point. Given that the doses need to be administered weeks apart (I believe the mRNA ones are typically 4 weeks apart?) and it takes several weeks for the body to build up the maximum immune response, it'd be ideal for as many people as possible who plan to attend to have their second dose by late August, which means their first by late July, which means we have something like 10 weeks and counting to get anyone on the fence or struggling with finding options to a place that can happen. For their safety and that of those they'd be interacting with (while traveling, in the city, at the convention itself, etc).

We're 4 months away from showtime, but as far as that may seem, it's more like 2 and change on the vaccination front (obvious caveats of 'for those who are eligible based on age, immunocompromised status, and any other factors that may be in play'). Got friends and family who plan on attending? Keep nudging them to get that sorted out!

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
2 3 4 6
2 3 4 6