bold predictions
Posted by squirecam toxic_rat

toxic_rat wrote:
matthias9 wrote:
garhkal wrote:
xanathon wrote:The fact that COVID can be fatal to people is reason enough.

How many hundreds of thousands Normally DIE each year from the REGULAR FLU?  So isn't THAT "Fatal"...

Zero hundreds of thousands.  (According to the CDC.)
But not zero...the CDC estimates that the 2019 Influenza season had between 26,000 to 52,000 deaths.  You can read why this has a range and not a specific number here:  https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/2018-2019.html.
Which is not relevant to this discussion.

How many of the 26 000 to 52,000 died because they didnt take the flu vaccine. Or caught the flu from people who wouldn't take the vaccine. You can't say with any certainty.

Also, this is not the flu. Covid deaths in the US are above 500,000. So please stop comparing the two. Let's leave the discussion to Covid and its vaccine.

Posted by zenmazster

steering back into original post lane:

more bold predictions

(6) won't be a difficult time getting a hotel room this year YAY.  
(7) will be SO nice in the exhibit hall not being crammed in there like little sardines.  I miss the earlier days of not insanely packed wall to wall stinky people (I mean that in a nice loving way, i love my gencon'rs)
(8) I think there is lots of room for creativity with social distance, I think gencon is a very smart and creative organization and will have lots of surprises to rewards its faithful attendees
(9) after making vaccinations a requirement, 13,126 more people will get vaccinated that normally would have, which exponentially ends up saving the lives of 1,398 people worldwide.  thanks gencon!
(10) Gencon makes their slogan this year: FOR SCIENCE!
(11) Instead of a parade this year, Gencon takes pictures of random participants walking the halls, and will put them on their website asking for votes.  one will be voted, and will win a badge for next year.  It will be a female that wins.  They will have a very elaborate costume that defies description.  They are 23.  They are from Minnesota.  This is not their first gencon.

Posted by mikeboozer squirecam

squirecam wrote:
toxic_rat wrote:
matthias9 wrote:
garhkal wrote:
xanathon wrote:The fact that COVID can be fatal to people is reason enough.

How many hundreds of thousands Normally DIE each year from the REGULAR FLU?  So isn't THAT "Fatal"...

Zero hundreds of thousands.  (According to the CDC.)
But not zero...the CDC estimates that the 2019 Influenza season had between 26,000 to 52,000 deaths.  You can read why this has a range and not a specific number here:  https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/2018-2019.html.
Which is not relevant to this discussion.How many of the 26 000 to 52,000 died because they didnt take the flu vaccine. Or caught the flu from people who wouldn't take the vaccine. You can't say with any certainty.
Also, this is not the flu. Covid deaths in the US are above 500,000. So please stop comparing the two. Let's leave the discussion to Covid and its vaccine.

Really getting off topic here as we are not talking about bold predictions anymore but about are more into the subject about who and who not is wrong concerning what and what is not relevant. 

Another thread is covering that...while it lasts at least so take those discussions there please....
https://www.gencon.com/forums/78-general-info-2021/topics/16367-regarding-the-coronavirus-survey-policies-need-to-have-no-exceptions-or-they-are-useless

I kind of like the bold predictions thread and don't want to lock it!

Number 6 and 8 are true!

Mike

Posted by helenbb

(12) E-ticketing and mailed badges will be required.
(13) International attendance will be minimal (unfortunate consequence of travel restrictions).
(14) Mike Boozer will still be over-worked and rushing from place to place.
(15) Pandemic: COVID Edition will be the 'new hotnesss' on the Exhibit Floor.
(16) Everyone who attends will be thrilled, and more appreciative than ever, to be there.

Posted by squirecam helenbb

helenbb wrote:
(13) International attendance will be minimal (unfortunate consequence of travel restrictions).
(16) Everyone who attends will be thrilled, and more appreciative than ever, to be there.
I wonder how well a live action rp virus/event would do this year. I'd imagine people would be interested.

Posted by fethbone

•  Gencon will follow whatever policies, requirements, and procedures have been set forth by the ICC and city of Indianapolis/Marion County. Anything above and beyond will be a strong recommendation.
  • More people will be able to socialize outside for longer periods since the weather will hopefully be less hot.
  • Ubers, Lyfts, and cabs will be in even shorter supply.
  • Decent food around the ICC will be even harder to find or get a table for.
  • The auction and consignment shop will move into a bigger space.

Posted by notavailableeither helenbb

helenbb wrote:

I like all of these especially #16

#14 is absolutely true - Mike, thanks for all you do 

Posted by matthias9

(17)  Masks will not be required for vaccinated individuals (5.5 months away, they're supposed to be bold predictions, so...)
(18)  Attendance capped at 25,000, (which is also what it was the first year at Indy)
(19)  Some local establishment picks up where The Ram and Scotty's left off as the Gen Con themed spot
(20)  More people attend in-person in Indianapolis than do so via the online option
and, most importantly of all, 
(21)  I keep my streak intact and attend my 36th consecutive Gen Con  (I still get to count last year, right?)

Posted by quarex

Yeah Fethbone, the Auction has been virtually crying out for a bigger space for ages, so it would certainly make sense for it to finally happen in order to facilitate it actually being able to occur.

Posted by garhkal toxic_rat

The rest was edited as it is off topic.

Mike

Now for one of my own bold predictions.. 
His excellency, the Almighty Cthullu, will be happy with all the gamers that do show up!

Posted by jimmythesaint fethbone

fethbone wrote:

• The auction and consignment shop will move into a bigger space.

If there's a way to chip in and ensure this happens, I'll gladly do so.

Posted by mark_theurer

Bold Prediction (really a wish list) additions...

- Proof of bathing within the last 24 hours required upon entry into any GenCon facility
- Deodorant required to be on-person at all times
- Backpacks as large as a medium-sized child not allowed in the Vendor hall
- No sleeping in the common areas of the convention center

Yes, being smart-alecy but also really, really, really wish they were implemented.

Posted by elvinlord

My bold prediction, 1)The aisleways in the dealer hall will be triple there normal size.  Wear as large a backpacks as you want, you will be able to reenact "the hills are alive with song of music.

2) Downtown hotels for everyone.

Posted by mikeboozer

I think this will be the most unusual and challenging Gen Con to date.

I think this will be an adventure that I know I don't want to miss...

Mike

Posted by technoir zenmazster

zenmazster wrote:
This is purely speculative and for conversation and discussion only, just my thoughts and more of a 'prediction' of what gencon might look like.
(1) Proof of vaccines will be required.  A lot of folks might disagree, and I know this will be more work, but technically we're in the middle of a pandemic still.  I don't personally see how you can hold an in person convention without requiring vaccinations.  Will you leave some folks out?  Sure.  Any Decision that you make when planning something is going to always leave someone out, there will be winners and losers.  I don't think 2022 will require vaccinnations, but 2021 I think it would be the responsible thing to do. 
Vacc passports are becoming more popular and development, and I believe may be completed by then.   In fact, I'd propose vaccine areas (high traffic like exhibit hall) and non places.
It's up to the hotels to require their own, I don't expect gencon to monitor hotels.
(2) 25% capacity.  Main goal: to hold gencon and keep people safe.  I don't think you're going to do that with 100% capacity.  think going up to 50% capacity is reasonable.  I'd say publicly announce 25% and leave the rest as a case by case basis.
(3) Have the convention take out every other table / social distance tables.   This one is kind of a no brainer.
(4) Require and enforce mask use.  Have fun with it.  Get sponsors involved.  Can you imagine how perfect a marketing opportunity this is to have someones brand on your face.  Give one away to each participant in their good bag.  Make a game of it.  "if you're wearing youre' (Example) miniature market mask, you may be randomly selected to win gift cards throughout the con.  incentivize people to wear them while making fat stacks of sponsor cash.
(5) Avoid events that require gigantic large groups of people, especially when drinking.  I absolutely love and adore the gencon dance.  it's one of my favorite things to go to.  I think we can skip a year.  I know we'll be dissappointed but not heart broken.  Any time you have hundreds of people sweating and drinking and bumping into each other, that's no good for anyone, that's a super spreader.  Even assuming everyone is vaxxed up cause you KNOW someone other folks will be crashing that party.  That goes for the costume parade, etc, other large person events.  We get it, people will be dissappointed, but it's just simply not the year for it.
That's all I have for now.  I AM excited to come to gencon again, and want to help any way I can.

1. No chance. There's to many ways around this, and I think if this convention HAPPENS, we will be near herd immunity. 

2. Again no chance. 25%? You think there's only going to be 18,000 people? Here's the thing, as a person who's been some what involved in MANY of the converstaions I think last year, if there magically happened to be a con, you would have had a tiny con. I could tell this just by the conversations online. People were VERY VERY clear they didn't want to go anywhere. Now, many of those people are changing their minds. There's absolutely a decent amount of people now saying they're not coming, and that's perfectly fine, if you don't feel safe please stay home this year. BUT I'm shocked by the number of people who were vocally against it last year, stating they're coming this year. If Gen Con allows it, I wouldn't be surprised to see 40k people. 

3. I think this is pretty obviously going to happen. 

4. Also agree completely here. 

5. MAYBE. I think it just depends where we are by May. Right now we're fully vaccinating ABOUT 1% of the country every other day. So every 2 weeks, we're hitting about 7% of the country. Now if we stayed on that track(which I think it could accelerate, but it could also hit a set back) over the court of a month we will see ABOUT 15% of the country fully vaccinated. Two months 30, three months 45, four months 60. We're at 13% right now. So in 4 months we can easily be right around that 75% number which is really good for herd immunity. We're currently 5 months, 3 weeks away from Gen Con. That gives us an extra month and a half of leeway. SO we'll see where we're at. There's no zero sum. There's no point where covid is just zero, that's not happening in our future IMO. 

Another thing I could see happening. Expansion of the exhibit hall. The exhibit hall is the biggest attraction at Gen Con. I could EASILY see it being expanded into the card gaming hall behind the exhibit hall so that you have more space for isles, you have bigger spaces between booths. 
Ultimately i think this is going to be much like a lot of covid related things over the last few months, 'SUGGESTIONS' rather than enforced rules. 

Posted by thesuperskrull technoir

technoir wrote:
zenmazster wrote:
This is purely speculative and for conversation and discussion only, just my thoughts and more of a 'prediction' of what gencon might look like.
(1) Proof of vaccines will be required.  A lot of folks might disagree, and I know this will be more work, but technically we're in the middle of a pandemic still.  I don't personally see how you can hold an in person convention without requiring vaccinations.  Will you leave some folks out?  Sure.  Any Decision that you make when planning something is going to always leave someone out, there will be winners and losers.  I don't think 2022 will require vaccinnations, but 2021 I think it would be the responsible thing to do. 
Vacc passports are becoming more popular and development, and I believe may be completed by then.   In fact, I'd propose vaccine areas (high traffic like exhibit hall) and non places.
It's up to the hotels to require their own, I don't expect gencon to monitor hotels.
(2) 25% capacity.  Main goal: to hold gencon and keep people safe.  I don't think you're going to do that with 100% capacity.  think going up to 50% capacity is reasonable.  I'd say publicly announce 25% and leave the rest as a case by case basis.
(3) Have the convention take out every other table / social distance tables.   This one is kind of a no brainer.
(4) Require and enforce mask use.  Have fun with it.  Get sponsors involved.  Can you imagine how perfect a marketing opportunity this is to have someones brand on your face.  Give one away to each participant in their good bag.  Make a game of it.  "if you're wearing youre' (Example) miniature market mask, you may be randomly selected to win gift cards throughout the con.  incentivize people to wear them while making fat stacks of sponsor cash.
(5) Avoid events that require gigantic large groups of people, especially when drinking.  I absolutely love and adore the gencon dance.  it's one of my favorite things to go to.  I think we can skip a year.  I know we'll be dissappointed but not heart broken.  Any time you have hundreds of people sweating and drinking and bumping into each other, that's no good for anyone, that's a super spreader.  Even assuming everyone is vaxxed up cause you KNOW someone other folks will be crashing that party.  That goes for the costume parade, etc, other large person events.  We get it, people will be dissappointed, but it's just simply not the year for it.
That's all I have for now.  I AM excited to come to gencon again, and want to help any way I can.

2. Again no chance. 25%? You think there's only going to be 18,000 people? Here's the thing, as a person who's been some what involved in MANY of the converstaions I think last year, if there magically happened to be a con, you would have had a tiny con. I could tell this just by the conversations online. People were VERY VERY clear they didn't want to go anywhere. Now, many of those people are changing their minds. There's absolutely a decent amount of people now saying they're not coming, and that's perfectly fine, if you don't feel safe please stay home this year. BUT I'm shocked by the number of people who were vocally against it last year, stating they're coming this year. If Gen Con allows it, I wouldn't be surprised to see 40k people. 

Another thing I could see happening. Expansion of the exhibit hall. The exhibit hall is the biggest attraction at Gen Con. I could EASILY see it being expanded into the card gaming hall behind the exhibit hall so that you have more space for isles, you have bigger spaces between booths. 
Ultimately i think this is going to be much like a lot of covid related things over the last few months, 'SUGGESTIONS' rather than enforced rules. 

For number 2, I am pretty sure zenmaszter meant to cap attendance at 25%, not that only 25% of normal attendees would want to come. 

For the other, I assume something like that is likely. I think it's likely that some of the normal vendors/companies aren't going to be there for various reasons so it might be easy-ish to relocate the things that are normally in that connected hall to other areas and expand the dealer's hall (area wise, not content wise) into that area so everything can be more spaced out. 

Posted by alans vulcanspock

mollymolly wrote:
My predictions:
- Vaccines not required (hope I'm wrong)
- 50% capacity
- Masks in common areas (I could actually see this going away by September, though)
- Doorknob licking will be optional
+1
except...Doorknob licking will be actively DISCOURAGED.  :)

Posted by monkeyknifefight

Bold prediction

No special policies will be required or necessary after the government bribes remaining vaccine holdouts over summer and cases become negligible.

Attendance is naturally down as would be expected due to economic or fear issues.

Posted by lore seeker alans

alans wrote:
mollymolly wrote:
My predictions:
- Vaccines not required (hope I'm wrong)
- 50% capacity
- Masks in common areas (I could actually see this going away by September, though)
- Doorknob licking will be optional
+1
except...Doorknob licking will be actively DISCOURAGED.  :)

One would hope so...

Posted by pinheadjo

My first Gen Con (the last at the University of Parkside?) had just over 2000 attendees...and I had a blast.

I attended more than a dozen in Milwaukee with 10000-30000 and I had a blast. I have been to the last three in Indy...the last two sell outs with well over 100,000 attendees....and we had a blast.

So, no matter what the restrictions we will be there, and we will follow all recommended guidelines . Whatever they impose...we will be there. And I can assure you...we will have a blast!
pinhead

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
1 3 5 6