bold predictions
Posted by donaldbain

The convention center will close at 11:00 pm and open at 7:00 am for overnight sanitation.

Posted by thesuperskrull donaldbain

donaldbain wrote:
The convention center will close at 11:00 pm and open at 7:00 am for overnight sanitation.

I don't really stay downtown overnight, but I hadn't considered anything like that. 

Posted by traveller donaldbain

donaldbain wrote:

That will probably change depending on event scheduling.  There are a lot of events that won't end until midnight.

Posted by lore seeker donaldbain

donaldbain wrote:

I'm not sure about that. A year into this pandemic, we know that touch transmission is not nearly as much of an issue as we thought (it's not unheard of, but basically a lot of things have to go "right" (for the virus) for it to happen). So deep cleaning of the type we saw early on might be de-emphasized by August.

Posted by garhkal

That does make one wonder..  Will they use those plastic coverings for each table, and once a group gets done, REMOVE the cover, and put a new one on the table rather than do the 'deep cleaning'?

Posted by kidlidar

Anybody wonder how gate 10 is going to work?  My wife has mobility issues and we rely on their shuttles.  Yes I am aware that they're not affiliated with GenCon, just curious as to what people think.  I tried emailing them with negative results.

Posted by adcjones zenmazster

zenmazster wrote:
(1) Proof of vaccines will be required.
(2) 25% capacity.  
(3) Have the convention take out every other table / social distance tables.   
(4) Require and enforce mask use. 
(5) Avoid events that require gigantic large groups of people, especially when drinking. 

All we can do is speculate at this point, so why not?

(1) Proof of vaccines will be required.

I don't think it's even remotely possible for GenCon to manage a vaccine database of ConGoers.  That brings up too much liability, not to mention the mess of having to deal with the logistics of creating it.  Plus, the Convention Center will be open to the public as it usually is.  I don't see them locking the doors for controlled, checked-in entrances.  There's no way hotels are going to limit their profits by requiring vaccine passports.  The passports won't ever happen for interstate travel, etc. anyway, as there are too many anti-vaxxers and "freedom" people out there in opposition.

(2) 25% capacity.  

This is a good question.  GenCon may be self-limiting capacity by pushing the dates back.  I wonder what effects on capacity would be during non-pandemics if they ever did this.  I would certainly think it would drop a bit, but not by much.  I would think 25% self-imposed capacity is too low, however.  I don't think it would garner enough money to be made, as vendors may not think the cost to attend the Con would be worth it.

In my own opinion, I think simply limiting day-of admission sales to very few or none at all would be better then limiting capacity, as this would limit capacity in its own way and still allow regular goers the opportunity to attend by registering early as we usually do. 

I am optimistic and think September will be better for infection rates in Indiana and the US.  I have been vaccinated and as of right now still plan on attending GenCon all 4 (5) days.  However, I assure you I will be wearing a mask in the Dealer Hall and the hallways to and from just for my own protection.  It would be my hope GenCon would require masks in the hallways and the Dealer Hall, at least, since those are the areas with the most traffic.

(3) Have the convention take out every other table / social distance tables.   

This should be easy if capacity is lowered.

(4) Require and enforce mask use. 

As above, I certainly plan on wearing my mask.  I have thankfully never gotten the Con Crud and in a pandemic era as we are in now, I feel safest wearing one during GenCon in heavily-travelled areas where many bodies are in very close contact.  It would be my hope GenCon could control mask-wearing, but this seems nearly impossible.  Would they instantly kick out anyone not wearing a mask?  How would they do this?  How about those wearing masks below their nose?  At some point, "Security" would need to gain someone's badge name and maybe ID?  This seems a stretch.

(5) Avoid events that require gigantic large groups of people, especially when drinking. 
I can't think of any events wherein GenCon has "gigantic" large events involving mass consumption of alcohol except for the Wednesday evening festivities and the Saturday night Dance.  Part of the GenCon experience are the Wednesday evening festivities, so I hope they don't cancel these things.  At some point individuals do have to have some responsibility and choice in whether to participate in events.  And believe- I'm all for GenCon enforcing mask mandates by throwing people out.  But I also live in reality and this could cause problems GenCon doesn't want to get into, especially with vaccine rates by September hopefully skyrocketing.  (I also happen to be of the mind that anti-vaxxers should not get to participate in the same society as those of us who believe in science).

Caveat- all of the above hinges on the current upward trend of vaccinations along with a downward trend of positive cases.  

I'm going to GenCon as long as it's still held, virus be damned!  If that means I have to wear a mask and produce vaccine papers, so be it.  If I there isn't a mask mandate, I'll still be going.  Hell, I love GenCon so much I would have went last year during a pandemic, even if it meant wrapping myself in saranwrap and rolling along in an inflate bubble!

Posted by fethbone lore seeker

father bloodlust wrote:
donaldbain wrote:

I'm not sure about that. A year into this pandemic, we know that touch transmission is not nearly as much of an issue as we thought (it's not unheard of, but basically a lot of things have to go "right" (for the virus) for it to happen). So deep cleaning of the type we saw early on might be de-emphasized by August.
The CDC reiterated this week that they still believe the risk of transmission through fomites (inanimate objects) is very low, so I agree that, while people may be more conscientious about high-touch surfaces and cleanliness in general, I doubt anything is going to close for "deep-cleaning". Especially since that would involve paying more cleaning people.

That being said, another prediction that I REALLY hope comes true is that everyone's fear of high-touch surfaces means that we will see way fewer of those stupid rental scooters lying around everywhere.

A prediction I hope doesn't come true but probably will is that at some point hands are going to be thrown over someone's displeasure with how someone else is or is not observing whatever protocols are in place over the weekend and the other person not taking kindly to the correction. A cringe-worthy, tantrum-level verbal altercation at the very least. 

Posted by cmegus

“A prediction I hope doesn't come true but probably will is that at some point hands are going to be thrown over someone's displeasure with how someone else is or is not observing whatever protocols are in place over the weekend and the other person not taking kindly to the correction. A cringe-worthy, tantrum-level verbal altercation at the very least.”

I agree with this prediction. As sad as it is, and I hope to God I am wrong, but I fear there will be at least one major incident involving masks and will lead to someone being seriously injured or worse. I’ve seen first hand how nuts people are with masks, for and against.

I’m a germophobe, more or less so I like the masks, even though I am vaccinated now... but I have documented way to many people taking this to the extreme. If I was the Gen Con crew, THIS would be my number 1 priority to figure out...

As I say, I hope I am wrong... but I am far more worried about this type of silliness happening than this virus.

G

Posted by clique84 cmegus

cmegus wrote:
“A prediction I hope doesn't come true but probably will is that at some point hands are going to be thrown over someone's displeasure with how someone else is or is not observing whatever protocols are in place over the weekend and the other person not taking kindly to the correction. A cringe-worthy, tantrum-level verbal altercation at the very least.”
I agree with this prediction. As sad as it is, and I hope to God I am wrong, but I fear there will be at least one major incident involving masks and will lead to someone being seriously injured or worse. I’ve seen first hand how nuts people are with masks, for and against.
I’m a germophobe, more or less so I like the masks, even though I am vaccinated now... but I have documented way to many people taking this to the extreme. If I was the Gen Con crew, THIS would be my number 1 priority to figure out...
As I say, I hope I am wrong... but I am far more worried about this type of silliness happening than this virus.
G

Sigh, it kills me to say it but this is terrifyingly likely.
Like, take out a mortgage and bet the farm on it.
People suck.

Posted by garhkal fethbone

fethbone wrote
A prediction I hope doesn't come true but probably will is that at some point hands are going to be thrown over someone's displeasure with how someone else is or is not observing whatever protocols are in place over the weekend and the other person not taking kindly to the correction. A cringe-worthy, tantrum-level verbal altercation at the very least. 

I've heard of those rage outs over masks etc, but never seen one in person (thankfully).

Posted by grognard262

I think it is highly likely that there will be no restrictions whatsoever placed on Gen Con by public health authorities at the time the convention starts.  By the end of June, basically everyone willing and able will have been fully vaccinated.

Posted by mjlaba48

My company sells cleaning chemicals and equipment.  Been in business for 66 years. I am 2nd generation ownership,
I find it amusing the term "deep cleaning".  You either clean with the right chemicals and equipment or not.  If the soil is removed 
and surface disinfected then it is clean until someone touches that surface again. To so call "deep clean" they should
use an electrostatic sprayer with the appropriate disinfectant and spray down the entire facility each night. Keep in mind
that the person spraying will have to be wearing gogles and sealed mask so as to not breathe any  of the disinfectant into his
or her lungs. So the convention center will have to be empty for this process.

Posted by ladye mjlaba48

mjlaba48 wrote:
My company sells cleaning chemicals and equipment.  Been in business for 66 years. I am 2nd generation ownership,
I find it amusing the term "deep cleaning".  You either clean with the right chemicals and equipment or not.  If the soil is removed 
and surface disinfected then it is clean until someone touches that surface again. To so call "deep clean" they should
use an electrostatic sprayer with the appropriate disinfectant and spray down the entire facility each night. Keep in mind
that the person spraying will have to be wearing gogles and sealed mask so as to not breathe any  of the disinfectant into his
or her lungs. So the convention center will have to be empty for this process.
They actually did that at my work place at the beginning of the pandemic. They told us to take our plants and any cups or plates home with us. Then they advised we wipe down surfaces when we went back a couple of months later.

Posted by colbrook

I wonder if Lucas Oil have any of those disinfectant spraying drones that other stadiums have been using, seems less risky to the operator, and potentially faster for large areas.

Posted by adcjones grognard262

chaoticneutral262 wrote:
I think it is highly likely that there will be no restrictions whatsoever placed on Gen Con by public health authorities at the time the convention starts.  By the end of June, basically everyone willing and able will have been fully vaccinated.

This is the most likely outcome.

Posted by squirecam adcjones

adcjones wrote:
chaoticneutral262 wrote:

if that were true then they wouldn't be limiting attendance.

Posted by colbrook squirecam

squirecam wrote:
adcjones wrote:
chaoticneutral262 wrote:

They're limiting attendance because of the current limits imposed by the authorities, they've said that numbers can change based on local advisories and the state of the country/state as a whole.

I think it's quite likely that they'll open a very limited amount of badges for sale to begin with, and then make more available as the situation progresses, providing it progresses in the right direction.

I remain doubtful we'll see full capacity with no restrictions, but none of us have a crystal ball. I'm also in a country that has been COVID free since July, so maybe that's making me a bit too optimistic about how things will improve.

Posted by cptmusket

There will no mask requirements made by Gen Con themselves.  By September everyone who wanted a vaccine and was medically capable of receiving them will have had one.  CDC, Indiana, and Indianapolis will have moved away from the mask recommendation.

Some Individual Events may require masks still - since many events are hosted by individuals, some individuals will require attendees to wear a mask to attend their event.  Gen Con will specifically endorse this stance.

Event attendance will be "capped" by not having on-site registration.  However, anyone who wants to attend and prepurchase a badge will have been able to.  Attendance will be artificially capped by the combination of lack of interest due to people being cautious and no on-site registration.

There will be several incidents of people either refusing to wear a mask at a mask-required event, or people getting upset that they want someone else to wear a mask when it is not required.  These incidents will be few and far between, but blown out of proportion by the rumor mill afterward.

Posted by fethbone colbrook

colbrook wrote:
squirecam wrote:
adcjones wrote:
chaoticneutral262 wrote:

They're limiting attendance because of the current limits imposed by the authorities, they've said that numbers can change based on local advisories and the state of the country/state as a whole.I think it's quite likely that they'll open a very limited amount of badges for sale to begin with, and then make more available as the situation progresses, providing it progresses in the right direction.
I remain doubtful we'll see full capacity with no restrictions, but none of us have a crystal ball. I'm also in a country that has been COVID free since July, so maybe that's making me a bit too optimistic about how things will improve.

I do think there is a good change that Indiana as a state will be fully open by September, but it also depends on whether they will allow local governments to continue impose requirements on their own (like Florida), or not (like Texas, mostly). It is up to GenCon to determine the number of badges they will sell regardless.

As far as I can tell, the ICC&LOS are not privately or federally owned, so if Marion County says masks are not required in public buildings, then the most that can be done in that respect beyond a recommendation is to require masks to attend any GenCon related events. Which is kind of moot if masks are not required anywhere else.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
1 2 4 6