May Health and Safety update.
1 3 4 5
1 3 4 5
Posted by papabees

"Do know, however, that in most cases, Gen Con will take the more conservative approach to masking. In other words, if the official guidance is “no masks are ok, but masks on are better,” then we will opt for better." - This statement is concerning to me. Who is it that is giving official guidance? The CDC just told us that masks are no longer needed (for most people). Who else is the "official guidance" that this is referring to? I am concerned of a sect of people who will forever feel "masks on are better".

Posted by grognard262

That statement notwithstanding, I think it is extremely unlikely that Gen Con will require masks unless the CDC guidance changes due to some nasty variant that gets around the vaccines.  The last thing they are going to want to have to deal with is being the mask police in an environment where they are widely regarded as unnecessary and uncomfortable.  It is far more likely that they will recommend that you wear one if you haven't been vaccinated and leave it at that.  Maybe they will carve out a few areas of the convention as "safe spaces" for those who are unvaccinated or want to be masked.

Posted by papabees grognard262

chaoticneutral262 wrote:
That statement notwithstanding, I think it is extremely unlikely that Gen Con will require masks unless the CDC guidance changes due to some nasty variant that gets around the vaccines.  The last thing they are going to want to have to deal with is being the mask police in an environment where they are widely regarded as unnecessary and uncomfortable.  It is far more likely that they will recommend that you wear one if you haven't been vaccinated and leave it at that.  Maybe they will carve out a few areas of the convention as "safe spaces" for those who are unvaccinated or want to be masked.
let's hope so

Posted by vulcanspock

It is noteworthy that the CDC recommendations aren't that masks aren't needed, it is that you "can resume activities without wearing a mask or physically distancing" if you are fully vaccinated.

There is a lot of talk in the public health community about the value of showing return to normalcy with vaccination.  Put another way, they want to encourage vaccination (which, ultimately, is our only way forward) by demonstrating value in getting a vaccine.

If Gen Con wants to be a good public health steward, they can advance this strategy by NOT requiring masks at all, but instead requiring showing a vaccination card at will call (or however you'd choose to enforce vaccinations for attendees).  Ultimately, masks don't solve our problem, vaccines do.

I hope that Gen Con adopts best practices for public health, and avoids 'public health theater', which masks may well be (by September).

Posted by selene314 papabees

papabees wrote:Who is it that is giving official guidance? The CDC just told us that masks are no longer needed (for most people). Who else is the "official guidance" that this is referring to?
States, cities, and individual businesses can impose stricter mask requirements than the CDC guideline.
The CDC might also return to a stricter requirement when vaccine-resistant variants appear.

The exemption from masks applies only to the 37% of Americans who are fully vaccinated. By September we might reach 70%. How can Gen Con enforce such a requirement? By either requiring vaccination or requiring masks.

Posted by sirrogue

selene314 wrote:States, cities, and individual businesses can impose stricter mask requirements than the CDC guideline.
The CDC might also return to a stricter requirement when vaccine-resistant variants appear.The exemption from masks applies only to the 37% of Americans who are fully vaccinated. By September we might reach 70%. How can Gen Con enforce such a requirement? By either requiring vaccination or requiring masks.

This, all of this right here. I'm fine if they want to waffle on one or the other, but they do need to pick AT LEAST ONE and ENFORCE IT. Either require everyone to be vaccinated, so we know it is (or should be) safe to be around each other, or require masks so we know everyone will be properly protected if un-vaccinated. I'm fine with either, but there needs to be at least one!

Posted by sirrogue papabees

papabees wrote:The CDC just told us that masks are no longer needed (for most people).

Let's be absolutely clear about this. The CDC just told us that masks are no longer needed for vaccinated people. They have not said it is okay to go maskless for anyone else. So if they are going to keep this a safe event without requiring vaccinations, they need to require masks (or vice versa).

Posted by monkeyknifefight

It’s going to be funny if everyone at GenCon is walking around masked and then 60,000 colts fans come through unmasked on Sunday. NFL is planning for full capacity this fall. I doubt they require masks then. My local baseball team already announced full capacity and masks optional on June 2nd. 

Posted by dragongears papabees

papabees wrote:The CDC just told us that masks are no longer needed (for most people).

This is a case of people hearing what they want to hear instead of what was actually said.

Posted by colbrook

Looks like Marion County/Indianapolis have announced changes to restrictions just after Gen Con have settled on a decision again.

As of June 7th:
No masks for fully vaccinated
Indoor Sporting Events at 50%
Restaurants, Bars, Businesses at 75%
Entertainment Venues (which includes the ICC I assume) at 75% capacity.

Restrictions look to be lifted further in July provided things don't go pear-shaped again.

Posted by mpagnotta310 colbrook

colbrook wrote:
Looks like Marion County/Indianapolis have announced changes to restrictions just after Gen Con have settled on a decision again.
As of June 7th:
Restrictions look to be lifted further in July provided things don't go pear-shaped again.

What’s saying that GenCon can’t change their mind about health and safety? Isn’t it possible they could change things again? From what I read in the blog, it’s not set in stone.

Posted by monkeyknifefight mpagnotta310

mpagnotta310 wrote:
colbrook wrote:
As of June 7th:

What’s saying that GenCon can’t change their mind about health and safety? Isn’t it possible they could change things again? From what I read in the blog, it’s not set in stone.
they definitely can. But they are leaning on the heavy handed side or at least trying to discourage people from attending by saying they are. I am surprised more organizations(GenCon included) don’t just outright say rules will depend on public health guidance at the time. Anywhere from what it is today to no restrictions at all.

Posted by colbrook mpagnotta310

mpagnotta310 wrote:
colbrook wrote:
As of June 7th:

They can, and likely will, I just found it amusing that the Marion County announcement happened so soon after the Gen Con H&S one. I imagine there were face palms and sighs at Gen Con HQ after that!

Posted by malfakter monkeyknifefight

monkeyknifefight wrote:
mpagnotta310 wrote:
colbrook wrote:
As of June 7th:

they definitely can. But they are leaning on the heavy handed side or at least trying to discourage people from attending by saying they are. I am surprised more organizations(GenCon included) don’t just outright say rules will depend on public health guidance at the time. Anywhere from what it is today to no restrictions at all. 
The Marion County Health Department stated that if Marion County hits 50% of the population vaccinated by July 4th, that they will recommend fully opening Indianapolis again.  Currently, Marion County is at 31%.  With the Governor already lifting the statewide mandate, I've got a feeling we'll see Indy fully open by August, at the latest.

Posted by garhkal

All i know, is the latest here in ohio is no masks.  BUT ORIGINS put out their newest newsletter AND they say "we will mandate masks at origins"..  So i can certainly see gencon keeping the masks, even if the county drops it..

Posted by adcjones

My concern is now this:

Is GenCon losing big companies like Paizo due to NOT mandating vaccine proof?  It would be interesting to know if this is the case, or if major companies would have not shown up because there WAS a vaccine-proof-ID mandate.

I find it incredibly disappointing that Paizo will not be there and that GenCon failed to keep them on board.  While I'm only one opinion, I usually go to GenCon with my group of 6.  We had planned on attending and wearing masks, mandate or no mandate, and being fully vaccinated.  It's too bad Paizo is so scared to attend despite full vaccinations and mask-wearing.  

Why bother to even go outside if the fear of COVID is so great that is paralyzes you, even when vaccinated?   

Posted by monkeyknifefight adcjones

adcjones wrote:
My concern is now this:
Is GenCon losing big companies like Paizo due to NOT mandating vaccine proof?  It would be interesting to know if this is the case, or if major companies would have not shown up because there WAS a vaccine-proof-ID mandate.
I find it incredibly disappointing that Paizo will not be there and that GenCon failed to keep them on board.  While I'm only one opinion, I usually go to GenCon with my group of 6.  We had planned on attending and wearing masks, mandate or no mandate, and being fully vaccinated.  It's too bad Paizo is so scared to attend despite full vaccinations and mask-wearing.  
Why bother to even go outside if the fear of COVID is so great that is paralyzes you, even when vaccinated?   
it could be the limiting of attendance or requiring masks. I know many offices are not opening until they don’t need to require masks anymore. Which is June 2nd in Ohio. Limiting attendance as well could be a negative and it would hit their bottom line. A lot of companies don’t make much money at cons or just break even. So with half the attend instead of not making money, they lose money. That could be why too.

Posted by helenbb

That's a really good point, Monkeyknifefight. The lowered attendance may be a lot less attractive to these companies. If they're used to an audience of 100,000 from all over the world, an audience of 50,000 (likely the vast majority Americans) might not be so appealing.

Posted by elvinlord adcjones

adcjones wrote:
My concern is now this:
it could just be the simple logistics of switching from online to in person, combined with date changes, combined with uncertain and changing restrictions, combined with supply chain issues with getting done hot new product in place for the con made the cost/benefit of a in person con not  worth it.  Just the date change probably was the nail in the coffin for many companies.

Posted by mikeboozer adcjones

[This post has been removed]

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
1 3 4 5
1 3 4 5