May Health and Safety update.
2 4 5
2 4 5
Posted by squirecam garhkal

garhkal wrote:
All i know, is the latest here in ohio is no masks.  BUT ORIGINS put out their newest newsletter AND they say "we will mandate masks at origins"..  So i can certainly see gencon keeping the masks, even if the county drops it..
I can see that too. So the CDC rules say no mask IF YOU ARE VACCINATED. However, the truth is there will be people who are not vaccinated who will not wear a mask because everyone else isnt. So what does Gencon do?

The conservative option, which is what they stated in the release, would mean masks for everyone.

I was fine with that before. I'm still fine with it.

Posted by sirnot

We have reached a point where it is on the individuals to be responsible for their own health and safety.  Here in Illinois, if you are over the age of 12 and want to get vaccinated, you can set your first appointment for tomorrow and be completely vaccinated in 6 weeks.  The science says that once you’ve reached that point, the chances of you contracting COVID are extremely small and if you do, the chances of you becoming seriously ill are even smaller and the chance that you’ll pass it on are even smaller still.  And if someone chooses to lie and go maskless because, “freedoms”, well the only one they are hurting is themselves. If you are immunocompromised and can’t get vaccinated, and I can’t believe I have to say this but, maybe attending a gaming convention full of unknown challenges and contagions isn’t the best of ideas.  Who is being protected by mandating masks or requiring proof of vaccination at the door three months from now? Anyone who wants to get vaccinated can be by then and if they don’t then they are taking that risk for themselves.  If the show were in the next few week, I get it- people are still in the process of getting their shots or waiting out the 2 weeks.  My FLGS has several employees that have only received the first dose, so they are continuing to mandate masks for all in order to protect their employees until they can complete their regimen, but once that’s done, masks won’t be required for anyone. You have to make sure that those you are responsible for are protected, but you can’t protect stupid from itself.

Posted by garhkal

but you can’t protect stupid from itself.

There are times i DO wish there was a vaccine against stupidity!

Posted by papabees dragongears

dragongears wrote:
papabees wrote:The CDC just told us that masks are no longer needed (for most people).

This is a case of people hearing what they want to hear instead of what was actually said.
Uh no... The real point is that Gencon is being coy with what they are going to do with ticket sales days away. It would not be difficult for them to simply say "we will follow CDC and Local guidelines in regards to masks". It's then out of Gencon's hands and then we also know that if the local ordinances continue on the right direction we don't have to fiddle with masks. Instead they basically said "The CDC and Indianapolis may say no masks buuuuuutttt..., we may still require them if we feel like someone, somewhere says that's the better thing to do". Give us real concrete info so we can make our purchase decisions.  

Posted by papabees sirnot

sirnot wrote:
We have reached a point where it is on the individuals to be responsible for their own health and safety.  Here in Illinois, if you are over the age of 12 and want to get vaccinated, you can set your first appointment for tomorrow and be completely vaccinated in 6 weeks.  The science says that once you’ve reached that point, the chances of you contracting COVID are extremely small and if you do, the chances of you becoming seriously ill are even smaller and the chance that you’ll pass it on are even smaller still.  And if someone chooses to lie and go maskless because, “freedoms”, well the only one they are hurting is themselves. If you are immunocompromised and can’t get vaccinated, and I can’t believe I have to say this but, maybe attending a gaming convention full of unknown challenges and contagions isn’t the best of ideas.  Who is being protected by mandating masks or requiring proof of vaccination at the door three months from now? Anyone who wants to get vaccinated can be by then and if they don’t then they are taking that risk for themselves.  If the show were in the next few week, I get it- people are still in the process of getting their shots or waiting out the 2 weeks.  My FLGS has several employees that have only received the first dose, so they are continuing to mandate masks for all in order to protect their employees until they can complete their regimen, but once that’s done, masks won’t be required for anyone. You have to make sure that those you are responsible for are protected, but you can’t protect stupid from itself.
Give this man a Gold star. Articulated it well. If you have the vaccine you're "safe", if you don't have it you're taking the risk for yourself. End of the matter.

Posted by monkeyknifefight papabees

papabees wrote:
dragongears wrote:
papabees wrote:The CDC just told us that masks are no longer needed (for most people).

This is a case of people hearing what they want to hear instead of what was actually said.
Uh no... The real point is that Gencon is being coy with what they are going to do with ticket sales days away. It would not be difficult for them to simply say "we will follow CDC and Local guidelines in regards to masks". It's then out of Gencon's hands and then we also know that if the local ordinances continue on the right direction we don't have to fiddle with masks. Instead they basically said "The CDC and Indianapolis may say no masks buuuuuutttt..., we may still require them if we feel like someone, somewhere says that's the better thing to do". Give us real concrete info so we can make our purchase decisions.  
this is exactly what is holding me back from wanting to attend. 

Posted by sovietprince

by september I don't see a need for even a 50 percent cap, esp if they continue as they are now, if not 100 percent at least 75-80 percent

Posted by buffythecatslayer

If you are immunocompromised and can’t get vaccinated, and I can’t believe I have to say this but, maybe attending a gaming convention full of unknown challenges and contagions isn’t the best of ideas.

This would apply regardless of Covid.  Every year people complain about getting "con crud".  If someone is susceptible to infection, a room with thousands of people in it is not the best place to be.

Posted by vulcanspock papabees

papabees wrote:

If you have the vaccine you're "safe", if you don't have it you're taking the risk for yourself. End of the matter.

If only life were as simple as that.

And why is "safe" in quotation marks?

Posted by mikeboozer

Starting to get a little snarky folks, let's dial it back please.

Mike

Posted by papabees vulcanspock

mollymolly wrote:
papabees wrote:

If you have the vaccine you're "safe", if you don't have it you're taking the risk for yourself. End of the matter.

If only life were as simple as that.And why is "safe" in quotation marks?
Not meant as a slight in any way. Just the idea that life is inherently risky. Walking out your front door in the morning is taking a chance, we still do it.

Posted by francisca

From the Announcement:

Nightly closure of the convention center for cleaning and sanitizing

Does anybody here know what time things will be closing up in the evening?  I suspect it is TBA/too far in the future to know, but no harm in asking, I suppose.

Posted by austicke francisca

francisca wrote:Does anybody here know what time things will be closing up in the evening?

Midnight to 8am.

​​​​​​​_____________________________________
Alec Usticke, Fans of Gen Con Facebook Group

Posted by wolverine789

I'm kind of looking forward to getting to bed at midnight and getting some rest. I would sit and wonder what I'm missing because my old body just doesn't function like it use to. Lol.

Posted by marimaccadmin

Just a small clarification; events need to end at midnight, and then you have a few minutes to leave, but it's not a "you have to be out and the door locks at midnight" situation.  You do need to stop playing at midnight and start packing up and leaving though.

In the morning I believe the doors will open up at 7am so you can get ready for your 8am games.  Just wanted to clarify that you can run games that end at midnight (on the dot please), and start at 8 am.

Marian McBrine
Event Manager
Gen Con LLC

Posted by francisca

Thanks to all of you who chimed in to answer my question!

Posted by garhkal wolverine789

wolverine789 wrote:
I'm kind of looking forward to getting to bed at midnight and getting some rest. I would sit and wonder what I'm missing because my old body just doesn't function like it use to. Lol.
MAkes a change from normal gencons, where folks would game till 1 to 2am, then try to get some nosh in, get in a shower, then wake up at 7.30am ready for the 8am sessions

Posted by knuteski

Ahh...it's just like the good old days...back in the Milwaukee days (and possibly early Indy days), the con closed at Midnight.  Once we left at midnight and my buddy realized he didn't have his badge and tickets.  He had to knock on multiple doors but found a security guard to let him back in.  And that's where the fun began.  See, he threw away his badge and tickets with his Subway.

But, he rolled a 20 and found his badge and tickets.

Posted by traveller garhkal

garhkal wrote:
wolverine789 wrote:
MAkes a change from normal gencons, where folks would game till 1 to 2am, then try to get some nosh in, get in a shower, then wake up at 7.30am ready for the 8am sessions

Thats funny, you think they shower.

Posted by donaldbain

So if I schedule an event, say Hide and Seek, to start at 12:01....

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
2 4 5
2 4 5