May Health and Safety update.
1 3 5
1 3 5
Posted by timjs21 marimaccadmin

marimaccadmin wrote:
Just a small clarification; events need to end at midnight, and then you have a few minutes to leave, but it's not a "you have to be out and the door locks at midnight" situation.  You do need to stop playing at midnight and start packing up and leaving though.
In the morning I believe the doors will open up at 7am so you can get ready for your 8am games.  Just wanted to clarify that you can run games that end at midnight (on the dot please), and start at 8 am.
Marian McBrine
Event Manager
Gen Con LLC
Sorry if I missed it but who made this decision??  By September there is no reason to have to close the convention center at all.  There should be gaming around the clock as usual.  I'd like some explanation - even if there aren't ticketed organized events, there is no reason that people shouldn't be allowed to game themselves.  (And please don't say it's so that a "deep cleaning" can take place.  We all know that's all for show at this point.)

Posted by eldrad12000

I think the best thing to do is honestly wait. Who knows what will change in the next couple months. Many of these current things could be gone or changed by September.

Posted by kd8esu

Even if officials at Local, State, and Federal levels says "you don't need to have any restrictions," it still doesn't mean Gen Con LLC. or the Convention Center may decide to have things shut down every night.
As of right now, the decision is the nightly closing of the "official" convention.  I'd plan my stuff around this being the official line come September; that COULD change, but it hasn't as of right now.

Also, that doesn't mean things probably won't happen off site after hours; I've been going long enough to know that some people will be gaming all night, every night (even if it wrecks their body's ability to defend itself from diseases, Con Crud anyone) and they'll do that away from the control of Gen Con.

Posted by fethbone

I believe Marion county will be fully open and mask-optional by September, so anything like closing the ICC, restricting attendance, or requiring masks will be purely on Gencon. 

If they choose not to keep the ICC open 24 hours, I'm sure the hotels won't mind keeping the lights on in their open gaming areas, so it's not like All Gaming Must Stop between midnight and 7AM. 

Posted by njseahawksfan timjs21

timjs21 wrote:

Sorry if I missed it but who made this decision??  By September there is no reason to have to close the convention center at all.  There should be gaming around the clock as usual.  I'd like some explanation - even if there aren't ticketed organized events, there is no reason that people shouldn't be allowed to game themselves.  (And please don't say it's so that a "deep cleaning" can take place.  We all know that's all for show at this point.)

Nobody knows what things will look like in September.

GenCon has been very clear about this closure since they announced that in-person GenCon would be happening in September.

While things *may* change before the con, being made aware of changes to the way GenCon has run in the past as far in advance of the convention as possible should be applauded.

Be prepared to wear a mask.  Be prepared to social distance.  Be prepared to leave the ICC at midnight.  Be prepared to have restrictions to how many people are in the Exhibit Hall.  Be prepared for there to be no limited quantity/Con exclusive merch.

Is it possible these things change by September?  Sure.  But you are being told ahead of time that these conditions are currently in place and you need to be prepared for them to still be in place in September.

Posted by timjs21 njseahawksfan

njseahawksfan wrote:
timjs21 wrote:

Nobody knows what things will look like in September.GenCon has been very clear about this closure since they announced that in-person GenCon would be happening in September.
While things *may* change before the con, being made aware of changes to the way GenCon has run in the past as far in advance of the convention as possible should be applauded.
Be prepared to wear a mask.  Be prepared to social distance.  Be prepared to leave the ICC at midnight.  Be prepared to have restrictions to how many people are in the Exhibit Hall.  Be prepared for there to be no limited quantity/Con exclusive merch.
Is it possible these things change by September?  Sure.  But you are being told ahead of time that these conditions are currently in place and you need to be prepared for them to still be in place in September.

I'm all for providing communication as early as possible so I understand GenCon letting us know where things are at as of their last official update - almost a month ago now.  What I'm saying is TODAY the CDC and the state of Indiana do NOT require masks or social distancing for those fully vaccinated.  Based on this, I'm anticipating that in three months there is no reason to require masks or close the convention center at night for "deep cleanings".  Could this change and things get worse by then, sure - but I doubt it.

Posted by sovietprince njseahawksfan

njseahawksfan wrote:
timjs21 wrote:

Nobody knows what things will look like in September.GenCon has been very clear about this closure since they announced that in-person GenCon would be happening in September.

there will be no con exclusive stuff?

Posted by mpagnotta310 sovietprince

sovietprince wrote:
njseahawksfan wrote:
timjs21 wrote:

He’s saying it’s possible, not that there isn’t.

Posted by njseahawksfan mpagnotta310

mpagnotta310 wrote:
sovietprince wrote:
njseahawksfan wrote:
timjs21 wrote:

The April Health and Safety Update said that companies would not be permitted to have limited quantity items that might cause a crowding issue.  

Mike also responded to an inquiry about it thusly "Other then the statement as written, we do not have any new information about exclusives. If companies can come up with unique ways that avoid crowds then that would certainly be an option in this case."

So it's not a hard "no", but I certainly wouldn't expect there to any sort of first come first served exclusives like there were in past years.

Posted by njseahawksfan timjs21

timjs21 wrote:
njseahawksfan wrote:
timjs21 wrote:

I'm all for providing communication as early as possible so I understand GenCon letting us know where things are at as of their last official update - almost a month ago now.  What I'm saying is TODAY the CDC and the state of Indiana do NOT require masks or social distancing for those fully vaccinated.  Based on this, I'm anticipating that in three months there is no reason to require masks or close the convention center at night for "deep cleanings".  Could this change and things get worse by then, sure - but I doubt it.
Okay good.  Then you understand why GenCon hasn't changed the policy as of right this instant.  When we are close enough to the date of the convention that GenCon feels comfortable announcing any changes, they will.

Posted by colbrook

Also, while the State and CDC don't require masks, Marion County and the Indiana Convention center currently do require them. This is set to change depending on the numbers but Gen Con's current mask policies are in line with those set by the city and venue.

Posted by lore seeker colbrook

colbrook wrote:
Also, while the State and CDC don't require masks, Marion County and the Indiana Convention center currently do require them. This is set to change depending on the numbers but Gen Con's current mask policies are in line with those set by the city and venue.

Exactly. And it's important to note that the county and the ICC's approach is in keeping with the new CDC mask guidance - the CDC's announcement said that fully vaccinated people don't need to wear masks, "...except where required by federal, state, local, tribal, or territorial laws, rules, and regulations, including local business and workplace guidance."

Just pointing it out because that's a part of the announcement that lots of people tend to forget.

Posted by kirbith colbrook

colbrook wrote:
Marion County will no longer have a mask mandate as of June 7th. https://cbs4indy.com/news/coronavirus/marion-county-leaders-to-give-update-on-local-pandemic-response/

Posted by burrfoot72

I was at qualifying last weekend for the Indy 500 which takes place within Marion county.  Masks were required the entire time as stated above.  You saw few and far between wearing them while walking around and they were non-existent while sitting in the stands.  

https://www.wishtv.com/monthofmay/maskless-indianapolis-500-fans-during-qualifying-raise-concerns-about-race-day/

Posted by squirecam kirbith

kirbith wrote:
colbrook wrote:
Marion County will no longer have a mask mandate as of June 7th. https://cbs4indy.com/news/coronavirus/marion-county-leaders-to-give-update-on-local-pandemic-response/
yes, for vaccinated people. Which is clearly different then no mask mandate for all.

Which is why Gencon may still require masks. Because those who are not vaccinated are treating it like they can go maskless too.

Posted by colbrook

Exactly my point really, Gen Con are following the local guidelines as they were at their last announcement (which was juuust before Marion County announced the relaxation of rules).

It's much easier to relax restrictions than it is to re-enforce them, so I can understand the organisers keeping on the more cautious side of things for now, especially when there's still 111 days left until the convention.

Posted by garhkal colbrook

colbrook wrote:
Exactly my point really, Gen Con are following the local guidelines as they were at their last announcement (which was juuust before Marion County announced the relaxation of rules).
It's much easier to relax restrictions than it is to re-enforce them, so I can understand the organisers keeping on the more cautious side of things for now, especially when there's still 111 days left until the convention.

So true.  ITs a lot easier to keep them in place, and slowly relax things, than it is to relax them too early, and then try to scramble to re-implement them later.

Posted by sovietprince njseahawksfan

njseahawksfan wrote:
mpagnotta310 wrote:
sovietprince wrote:
njseahawksfan wrote:
timjs21 wrote:

The April Health and Safety Update said that companies would not be permitted to have limited quantity items that might cause a crowding issue.  Mike also responded to an inquiry about it thusly "Other then the statement as written, we do not have any new information about exclusives. If companies can come up with unique ways that avoid crowds then that would certainly be an option in this case."
So it's not a hard "no", but I certainly wouldn't expect there to any sort of first come first served exclusives like there were in past years.
hoping that changes, exclusive promos and items are some of the draw for me

Posted by ryric

I read the restriction as "no stuff that requires attendees to get in line the moment the exhibit hall opens or they miss it." Either in the sense of a few items that are gone on Thursday or a trickle each day gone in the first half hour. I think a company can bring promos, new and early products as long as they have enough to expect them to last until Saturday afternoon or so. That would seem to comply with the requirement.

Examples from past Gen Cons: when Talisman 4e (pre-FFG version) first released, they had 25 a day and that's it. Race to the booth at 10 am if you wanted a chance to get it. That would be no good this year.

Conversely, Paizo's buttons would seem to be okay as promo items - they generally last until the afternoon each day so there's no mad rush to claim them. (Obviously not happening this year, just an example)

I think a tricky middle spot would be a big new release from a popular company, where they bring plenty so there no danger of actually running out, but human nature still wants to crowd into line on Thursday to get it. I'm not the only attendee who's waited in a long line on Thursday for something I could just have walked up and bought on Friday.

Posted by thesuperskrull ryric

ryric wrote:I think a tricky middle spot would be a big new release from a popular company, where they bring plenty so there no danger of actually running out, but human nature still wants to crowd into line on Thursday to get it. I'm not the only attendee who's waited in a long line on Thursday for something I could just have walked up and bought on Friday.
I know a few years Wizkids used a raffle system. You had until around noon or so to get a ticket (so no real rush) and then in the afternoon that posted the winning numbers and you had the rest of the day to get to the booth and buy whatever the thing was if you had a winning number. Rinse and repeat for the other 3 days.  

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
1 3 5
1 3 5