D&D and Baldman Games @ Gen Con
1 3 5
1 3 5
Posted by wavester

The start of the new Ravenloft: Mist Hunters is an epic. That is it

Posted by lativius

I believe I read that DDRL will be 5 players per table.  Is that true?  If 6 players all agree and have real tickets and the DM agrees, could it be 6 at a table?

Posted by wavester lativius

lativius wrote:
I believe I read that DDRL will be 5 players per table.  Is that true?  If 6 players all agree and have real tickets and the DM agrees, could it be 6 at a table?

Unfortunately no. Campaign rule is 5. We follow campaign rules.

Posted by canine10

Is Baldman running fewer D&D Experience tables this year? I had them all at the top of my priority wish list and was shut out. Usually, there isn't a problem getting into the Experience. 

Any chance you guys will be adding more Moon 18 and Moon 19/20 sessions?

Posted by wavester

We are running less of everything. Smaller show + not the best time frame to have it = less DM power. We will be running almost as much online as well. Anything you can play in person you can play online.

Posted by canine10

Thanks, I will look for them there. 

Posted by castigere

If anyone is on the fence about attending a Baldman D&D game -- do it!  Hands down the best con experience in 2018 and 2019 was playing D&D all afternoon with Baldman.  Both the D&D eXperience tracks and the one-offs were amazing!  

Posted by hauntedcity

Got DDAL-01 Frozen North Thurs morning! Hopefully a great way to kick off Gen Con. No luck on part 2, but I’ll keep an eye out for cancellations. 

Posted by hauntedcity grognard262

chaoticneutral262 wrote:
hauntedcity wrote:
Another AL-newbie here! I've done the Gen Con "Intro to D&D" events several times in the past with my family, but I'm solo on Thurs & Fri this year and can think of nothing I'd rather do than drop 4 or 8 hours playing D&D. 
I've looked at the Adventurer's League website, but I still have a few questions.
DDAL-01 through DDAL-04 all say they are for adventurers level 1-4.  Does character level correspond to the event?  For example, are all characters in "DDAL 10-03 Divining Evil" level 3?
Similarly, do all events have to be played in order, or can you jump into DDAL-02?  And if so, do you play with a level 1 or level 2 character?
If I'm only able to do one event, is this even the place for me? Or should I be looking for a one-off event elsewhere?  I'm a D&D veteran who'd love to give AL a try, but I don't want to mess up anyone's multi-event, multi-day epic.

While it isn't a requirement, the most likely scenario when you sit down to "01" through "04" tier 1 sessions is that many, perhaps all, of the character levels match the session number.  This happens naturally when players start the series as a fresh level 1 character and play them in order from 1-4.  They level after each session, and emerge on the other end as a level 5 tier 2 character.That said, as long as you are a tier one character (levels 1-4) you can play any tier one AL adventure.  If you bring your level four barbarian to a table full of level one characters, the adventures are written so the DM can adjust the encounters to account for the strength of the party.  Maybe the DM will add a two goblins and a wolf to an encounter, for example.
In my experience, the games are best when the characters are roughly the same level.  It is awkward for the DM to balance an encounter around your 41 hit point barbarian without being a deadly threat to the 8 hit point level one wizard in your party.  Doable, but sometimes awkward.

One last (maybe?) question... Right now, DDRL-04 is the only one available in the Ravenloft campaign.  It's for Level 4 characters, so can I just create a new AL-legal character and level them up to 4?  Or is it required/recommended to play a character through the levels?

UPDATE: I got a reply via email:  "Your character will be 4th - Please realize the character creation rules have not been released yet but should be at some point during August."

Posted by rugie

So, are there just no D&D/Pathfinder Events this year for GenCon?
We would like to join a Baldman Games, however what is left for semi-experienced players is a "FREE" Game that is Invite Only. How do we get an invite/tickets?

Posted by austicke rugie

rugie wrote:So, are there just no D&D/Pathfinder Events this year for GenCon? 

According to the event catalog, there are 502 D&D events.

Paizo will be running Pathfinder games for Gen Con Online.

​​​​​​​_____________________________________
Alec Usticke, Fans of Gen Con Facebook Group

Posted by grognard262 rugie

rugie wrote:
We would like to join a Baldman Games, however what is left for semi-experienced players is a "FREE" Game that is Invite Only. How do we get an invite/tickets?

You'll probably need to fall back on open gaming.  The Call of Cthulhu events were hard to get into through the event catalog, but then I found a bunch that are available as free, open games.

Posted by wavester rugie

rugie wrote:

We had almost 2,000 tickets available- they went poof. We'll have almost that, or more, for online and I expect them to go poof.

Invite only are placeholders for an event spanning multiple times. You can only buy the first and the rest come with it.

Posted by lativius

Just reading a little bit more on the new campaign and character creation.  Should players aim to bring a character to the first game with the plan to add some flavor to it, or are we doing full creation at the table?

Posted by jelake lativius

lativius wrote:
Just reading a little bit more on the new campaign and character creation.  Should players aim to bring a character to the first game with the plan to add some flavor to it, or are we doing full creation at the table?
You'll want your character made before you come to your first game there won't be time for character creation.  Most DMs have everyone introduce their character at the beginning of the session both to know what everyone is playing and the chance to roleplay your character out of the gate if you desire.

Posted by wavester

and we will have character creation rules for Ravenloft: Mist Hunters before the show 

Posted by narzat

Will there be a plan this year for mustering tables ahead of time?  We usually bring 6 for D&D EXP, but only have 3 in our group this year.

Posted by wavester

There will be a plan for DDXP in-person much like previous years. We just haven't kicked it off yet

Posted by narzat

Thanks, Wavester!

Posted by wavester

Anybody notice we put some more tickets into the system? Some did - some are still left (we're trying)

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
1 3 5
1 3 5