D&D and Baldman Games @ Gen Con
2 4 5
2 4 5
Posted by wavester lore seeker

father bloodlust wrote:
Is there a "grace period" for late arrivals to these events?
Between the schedule of games I'm running and the schedule of DDAL Season 10 games I need to play in chronological order, I might need to make a bit of a run to make it on time for one of the sessions, if the event I'm running gets out earlier than the end time (which is entirely possible).

We start sitting generics at 5 minutes after the hour. That doesn't mean your seat might not still be open after that but the odds shrink with each passing minute.

Posted by wavester donniep

donniep wrote:
wavester wrote:
All events should be live. Everything on the prelim 'In-person' schedule were just for DM recruitment and alignment.

So, there are 90 events total that I am seeing - was hoping for a Tier 2 Season 10 DND Experience session for the live runnings.  Is that not to be in the cards? 

Correct - There is no Tier 2 DDXP this year. With the ending of the Moonshae campaign (already delayed 8 months) and the launch of Ravenloft: Mist Hunters there is just not enough bandwidth this year.

Posted by lore seeker wavester

wavester wrote:
donniep wrote:
wavester wrote:
All events should be live. Everything on the prelim 'In-person' schedule were just for DM recruitment and alignment.

So, there are 90 events total that I am seeing - was hoping for a Tier 2 Season 10 DND Experience session for the live runnings.  Is that not to be in the cards? 

Correct - There is no Tier 2 DDXP this year. With the ending of the Moonshae campaign (already delayed 8 months) and the launch of Ravenloft: Mist Hunters there is just not enough bandwidth this year.

I'm confused. Does this mean there are going to be no Tier 2 Season 10 DDAL adventures?

Posted by wavester

There is no Tier 2 D&D eXPerience Tracks.

We will have DDAL 10-9 and DDAL 10-10 which are both Tier 2 adventures starting the wrap-up of Season 10.

Posted by lore seeker

So there's going to be no 10-07 or 10-08 incoming?

(I'm still new to D&D, so I don't what exactly Experience Tracks are).

Posted by wavester

Correct. Thr events listed are the events we're running.

Posted by narzat

Thanks for the updates and clarifications, Wavester, that helps us lock in our planning, given that we tend to plan around your schedule as our main event :)  Plenty of fun games in the current offerings for sure!

wavester wrote:

Alright. Guess I'm not playing D&D at Gen Con after all.

father bloodlust wrote:
wavester wrote:

What exactly are you looking for?

wavester wrote:
father bloodlust wrote:
wavester wrote:

10-07 and 10-08, from DDAL Season 10.

father bloodlust wrote:
wavester wrote:
father bloodlust wrote:
wavester wrote:

We're running those as part of Virtual DnD weekends this month and next 

wavester wrote:
father bloodlust wrote:
wavester wrote:
father bloodlust wrote:
wavester wrote:

We're running those as part of Virtual DnD weekends this month and next 

That's good at least.

Is the Tier 2 Epic going to be run at Origins?

Posted by jwibbenmeyer

I am very interested in playing in one of these games, but I have 0 experience with DDAL. I have been playing for over a decade and know the system solidly, but have always had a group to consistently play with. Are there any prerequisites needed to join in a game, or are any of the S10 games good to join in on provided I have a ticket?

Posted by traveller jwibbenmeyer

jwibbenmeyer wrote:
I am very interested in playing in one of these games, but I have 0 experience with DDAL. I have been playing for over a decade and know the system solidly, but have always had a group to consistently play with. Are there any prerequisites needed to join in a game, or are any of the S10 games good to join in on provided I have a ticket?

See here for AL information D&D AL Play

Posted by jwibbenmeyer

Thanks! I look forward to playing in September!

Posted by hauntedcity

Another AL-newbie here! I've done the Gen Con "Intro to D&D" events several times in the past with my family, but I'm solo on Thurs & Fri this year and can think of nothing I'd rather do than drop 4 or 8 hours playing D&D. 

I've looked at the Adventurer's League website, but I still have a few questions.
DDAL-01 through DDAL-04 all say they are for adventurers level 1-4.  Does character level correspond to the event?  For example, are all characters in "DDAL 10-03 Divining Evil" level 3?

Similarly, do all events have to be played in order, or can you jump into DDAL-02?  And if so, do you play with a level 1 or level 2 character?

If I'm only able to do one event, is this even the place for me? Or should I be looking for a one-off event elsewhere?  I'm a D&D veteran who'd love to give AL a try, but I don't want to mess up anyone's multi-event, multi-day epic.

Posted by komoridarkclaw

DDAL-01 through DDAL-04 all say they are for adventurers level 1-4.  Does character level correspond to the event?  For example, are all characters in "DDAL 10-03 Divining Evil" level 3?

No, the level 1-4 is for any character in that level range, from the walk-on with a pregen character to the person who has played 8-9 times and is on the cusp of hitting level 5. The 10-03 is the "episode number", i.e. season 10, adventure 3
Similarly, do all events have to be played in order, or can you jump into DDAL-02?  And if so, do you play with a level 1 or level 2 character?

There is an overarching story that you might get confused on if you play out of order, but there is no requirement to do so. And you can play with any character that fits the level range (Once I ended up playing most of a series, but missed the first few adventures. I eventually came back and played them later, but by then my character was 2 levels higher, so he was stronger at the start of the "campaign" than at the end :P)

If I'm only able to do one event, is this even the place for me? Or should I be looking for a one-off event elsewhere?  I'm a D&D veteran who'd love to give AL a try, but I don't want to mess up anyone's multi-event, multi-day epic

One event with a DDAL is a great way to start. As long as you are familiar with D&D 5e, you'd be fine at any multi-event epic. All DDAL does is limit build options for streamlining/balancing and standardize loot so you don't get a GM who gives everyone 5 magic items at level one. Otherwise, its still D&D 5e.

I should clarify here, a multi-event epic is a specific event, a la Gen Con | Gen Con Indy 2021, the D&D eXperience. That one is very specific, and you would need to commit to going to all of them in order.

The season 10 adventure path has multiple events, and they are connected (and probably epic), but there is no requirement or expectation that you play them all or in a particular order. These are the "episodes", a la "DDAL 10-03 Divining Evil"

~Komori

Posted by grognard262 hauntedcity

hauntedcity wrote:
Another AL-newbie here! I've done the Gen Con "Intro to D&D" events several times in the past with my family, but I'm solo on Thurs & Fri this year and can think of nothing I'd rather do than drop 4 or 8 hours playing D&D. 
I've looked at the Adventurer's League website, but I still have a few questions.
DDAL-01 through DDAL-04 all say they are for adventurers level 1-4.  Does character level correspond to the event?  For example, are all characters in "DDAL 10-03 Divining Evil" level 3?
If I'm only able to do one event, is this even the place for me? Or should I be looking for a one-off event elsewhere?  I'm a D&D veteran who'd love to give AL a try, but I don't want to mess up anyone's multi-event, multi-day epic.

While it isn't a requirement, the most likely scenario when you sit down to "01" through "04" tier 1 sessions is that many, perhaps all, of the character levels match the session number.  This happens naturally when players start the series as a fresh level 1 character and play them in order from 1-4.  They level after each session, and emerge on the other end as a level 5 tier 2 character.

That said, as long as you are a tier one character (levels 1-4) you can play any tier one AL adventure.  If you bring your level four barbarian to a table full of level one characters, the adventures are written so the DM can adjust the encounters to account for the strength of the party.  Maybe the DM will add a two goblins and a wolf to an encounter, for example.

In my experience, the games are best when the characters are roughly the same level.  It is awkward for the DM to balance an encounter around your 41 hit point barbarian without being a deadly threat to the 8 hit point level one wizard in your party.  Doable, but sometimes awkward.

Posted by hauntedcity

Thank you both!  That's just what I was looking for.

Posted by muzzynat

Are there going to be any Epics run at Gen Con this year?

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
2 4 5
2 4 5