I don't think it would be wise to cancel the appearance of one and not the other.
Did a quick scan of Events looking for “Satine” - and so far, at least, none of her events appear to have sold out and many of them are very undersold - some don’t appear to have met the “minimum” attendees listed.
After reading some of the horror stories, I hope her star has finally burnt out. She and her partner have behaved awfully towards other members of our community. Their inflated sense of their own worth, the gaslighting, the non-apology… The best thing the community can do is vote with their dollars and not support her or her partner’s events, books, games, etc.
I’m not a fan of Critical Role - but that is a group that can offer a master class on how to approach fame with humility and grace. Outside of the Tiberius dude from their first season - who was fairly quickly removed from / or stepped away from the cast - I’ve never heard or seen Matt Mercer or the members of the Critical Role cast behave badly towards their partners and fans. I’m not a fan of their work - but I am a fan of them as people and as community representatives.
Looks like Satine Phoenix's events have all been cancelled. At least, nothing comes up when typing "Satine" into the event search bar, and the change list website listed five or six events bearing her name as cancelled.
I really hope that was GenCon taking the necessary steps and not them advising Satine to cancel her events due to "safety" reasons. Looking on the megathread on Friday a couple discord channels were deleted "to stop gossip" AKA S/J posted messages of future support when this "blows over" from a number of companies/sponsors as a rally the troops/weather the storm kind of moral boost, which I really hope is fake... but money+viability=profit.
According to Satine Phoenix's Twitter feed, updated on June 24, she stated, "For the safety of myself and my family, I will not be attending GenCon. We will be reaching out to everyone who has signed up for events. Thank you."
She's also locked the thread to replies.
Are there people actually making death threats on this? Or is that a PR move?
Maybe Gen Con'll have an official statement on the situation before the convention?
Could also be a "If you withdraw we don't have to officially ban you" situation.
Gen Con has been decisive in banning others in the past when they chose to and I'm hoping this is not a matter of political convenience where she withdraws so Gen Con doesn't have to take a stand on this issue. My own opinion is that Gen Con still owes the community an actual decision on this issue and not just a shrug that says, "We, she withdrew, so you know, nothing to see here."
She has said nothing about receiving death threats or threats of physical harm so I'm dubious about her motivations in her statement.
I imagine if she tries to come back next year like nothing happened then something will definitely have to be done officially.
So pretty much what I thought would happen, silence from GenCon due to who Satine is.
She has apparently made statements on discord about her returning to both Origins and GenCon next year and that she was not asked to remove her events but did so for "safety".
Not really sure what is/isn't true due to some grifters that have been pushing narratives but sometimes the bad guys win, I guess.
It's entirely possible they told her to pull her events and quit or they would be remove and ban her themselves, so this is her reason for doing so. I doubt GenCon has any interest in weighing in if they can avoid it.
Looks like Stone and Satine are just denying the allegations now.