Only one Vax check location?
2 4
2 4
Posted by austicke hannman

hannman wrote:We are all vaccinated and have vaccine cards, but will we need to prove we're vaccinated before going to this event?  Do we need to prove we're vaccinated to attend events in the side halls or just the main vendor hall?  

Yes, of course. You need to have a wristband to attend any Gen Con event.

Posted by mikeboozer hannman

hannman wrote:
Here is our dilemma.  We're leaving from St. Louis early Thursday morning and have a big event at 1:00 PM that we really want to attend.  We already have the tickets and we all had our badges shipped to us so we wouldn't have to spend 2 hours waiting at will call.   This event will be in Hall D and we're not going to have a lot of time before the event.  We are all vaccinated and have vaccine cards, but will we need to prove we're vaccinated before going to this event?  Do we need to prove we're vaccinated to attend events in the side halls or just the main vendor hall?  

Yes, you will need to visit the station and get your vaccination wrist band to attend the event. 

You will need it for all events. 

Mike

Posted by hannman

[This post has been removed]

Posted by donaldbain hannman

nvrm

Posted by mikeboozer

We are not starting the debate here on the science again.

Your post has been removed.

Mike

Posted by dcoatar

Mike-- If I'm reading the map correctly, Sangamon 7 has only a single public entrance/exit.  This is not good.  The open area where gamers will queue up/mill about aimlessly is Crossroads Concourse, which has two things you definitely don't want: public restrooms and the top of an escalator!  It's hard to imagine a worse area to force everyone into on Wednesday.  This is a Crowd Management challenge.  Could you please consider adding other Vax Check sites?  Not simply additional check stations and personnel in the same room/area, but actual different locations (ICC and/or hotels).  Seems like 6 sites/kiosks with 6 stations each would be better than 1 room with 36 for both crowd control and Covid transmission reasons.

Thanks.  No one wants to see something horrible happen.  40-year GenCon veteran here (yeah I'm an Old), so I've seen things get out of hand.  Hope you or someone can address this before Wednesday!

Posted by kevinrg dcoatar

dcoatar wrote:
Seems like 6 sites/kiosks with 6 stations each would be better than 1 room with 36 for both crowd control and Covid transmission reasons.

Seems a little late in the game to be adding places.   They probably only have X amount of resources for this and even if split up, you'll probably still have some more heavily utilized than others which could even cause more issues.   I know if there were 6 spots, I'd probably park at the 1st place I went to and not walk around to see which might have the shortest line.    As for COVID transmissions,  not sure why this place would be any different than a number of other things that will be queued up over the weekend (vendor line, will call line most notably).  There will be crowds/lines.

Posted by cinnibar

Did you see there are two other locations for pre-Wednesday and Trade Day participants.  The latter is in the JW:

A vaccine verification station will be located on the second floor of the ICC in Sagamore 7 where you will verify your vaccination status and receive your wristband. Look for signage on-site to direct you to the vaccination verification stations.

• Monday – Tuesday : 8 am – 8 pm, Capitol Concourse
  • Wednesday: 7 am – 2 am, Sagamore 7
  • Wednesday: 8 am, JW Marriott (for Trade Day attendees only)
  • Thursday – Saturday: 7 am – midnight, Sagamore 7
  • Sunday: 7 am – 4 pm, Sagamore 7

Doing what they can, yes.

Posted by donaldbain

If necessary they could use the maintenance corridor exits and let people out that way.  It's a short walk to the main hallways. 

Posted by dcoatar

Yeah, saw that-- but Wednesday, specifically, is the issue here.  It's not so much about spreading Covid, but about the teeming hoards of Wednesday GenCon attendees who all must begin their Best Four Days at Sangamon 7 with its one exit and congested foyer-area at the top of an escalator.  Poor traffic flow + stationary crowds + Escalators = Bad.  I have concerns that GenCon, despite good intentions, might not be up to this crowd-control challenge.  I hope they are-- it's not too late.  Hell, I hope I'm completely wrong and everything goes great!

Opening up a service entrance or maintenance corridor to create a dedicated exit path away from the inbound queue/mob would be an excellent idea!  ICC has a stake in making this work too.  They would be a good resource.

See, we can do this!

Posted by hobbun

Are these wristbands removable and reattachable for when you take a shower? Or not an issue in getting them wet (text becoming illegible, etc.)?

Posted by austicke hobbun

hobbun wrote:Are these wristbands removable and reattachable for when you take a shower? Or not an issue in getting them wet (text becoming illegible, etc.)?

No. Yes.

Posted by quarex

Got mine just now; these definitely remind me of waterpark wristbands from my childhood.  They are going to look pristine by day five

Posted by cinnibar quarex

quarex wrote:
They are going to look pristine by day five

The rest of us, not so much by day 5.  ;)  Woot!

Posted by armadilloal hobbun

hobbun wrote:
Are these wristbands removable and reattachable for when you take a shower? Or not an issue in getting them wet (text becoming illegible, etc.)?

It's the latter.  If they were removable, that would defeat the entire purpose (since you could just give the wristband to your unvaccinated friend).

Posted by theinitiativeinn

Hello,

I'm coming into Indy late Wednesday evening and want to get my Vax check prior to checking in to the hotel.

From my understanding for Wednesday:

• Sagamore 7
  • second floor of the ICC, at the top of the escalator
  • near the escalators to the Hyatt
  • 7 am – 2 am

It was posted that this "has only a single public entrance/exit," so trying to pre-determine the best plan for being dropped off/picked up to do a Wednesday evening Vax check.

Map seems to have West Maryland St. as closest entrance. with a 'motor lobby' to boot.  So will those doors indeed be open late (11pm+) on Wednesday or could they be closed after a certain point?

I guess I'm wondering if it makes more sense to park in Hyatt and do the Skywalk.

Open to any and all suggestions for a late Weds Vax check!

Posted by joho

Westin hamster tube spits you out right by the ballroom sagamore.

Posted by theinitiativeinn

Thank you for the idea.

But if you're not staying at the Westin (or other connected hotels) do you think it would be ok for someone to get dropped off there, then use the hotel's hamster tube to go to the ICC for Vax check and then back?

At least for me this would be late Wednesday evening.

Posted by toxic_rat

This should not be a problem.

Posted by mikeboozer

I was just there...no line...come and get it!

Mike

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
2 4
2 4