VIG info
Posted by wiltey

Thanks Mike.

Posted by vinnay

Vig Renewed and 2 rooms booked without any diffculty. I've been a VIG since second year it was offered (and was a VIG companion first year) so, I guess I'll chime in on a few things while I'm here. 

1. Point of information for booking VIG companions.  My group learned this lesson last year (someone from Gencon please correct me if this has changed) - If the VIG buys the companion passes outright, the companions will not get their own Housing Codes and will be unable to book their own rooms.  In all years but last, I had my companions buy thier own 4 day passes, and then I upgraded them to Companions.  This allowed us to book additional rooms beyond the 2 the VIG can book.  We got really screwed last year when we needed a third room and no one had housing codes because I bought the Companion passes outright for everyone.  We eventually had a spouse buy a pass just to get a housing code, but by the time we figured this out, everything was sold out and 2 people were relegated to sleeping on the floor in a crowded room (or stay 15 miles away).

2. On the quality of the VIG program experience - It has had its ups and downs over the past 6 years. Last year I felt a lot of frustration, partly because of the above hotel situation, but also it felt much too crowed in the lounge and without the giant bean bag chairs, there was a severe lack of comfortable seating. One of my favorite things to do after walking miles and miles was to plop down on one of those comfy chairs. I realize those were provided by a sponsor, and the couches last year were nice, but too few. The VIG bag last year was pretty good in my opinion, but honestly, it's almost always stuff I give away anyhow. I had two bad experiences with VIG room workers that I don't want to get into the details of, but it made me feel like a very unimportant gamer. All of that said, I still think the VIG program is worth it because of the VIG room block and the ability to have 3 companions.....

3. Reducing the companions to 1 (and presumably room bookings to 1) may spell the end of my VIG renewal, and consequently, my attendance at Gencon at all. Perhaps this is what is intended by the change - make it unattractive to renew to allow more new people in.  I can't begrudge GenCon that, as I'm sure they get tons of angry notes from people wanting to be VIGs that can't get in. Like most folks, I come to Gencon with a group of friends. It's not so much a requirement that we all are VIGs or companions, but that we have access to attached hotel rooms. It's nice to be able to have a common place to meet, but the room bookings are where it's at.  With how much things are growing, its getting harder and harder to secure rooms in attached hotels. If I were in a position to have to stay 15 miles away, I just wouldn't come.  If my friends get stuck with that option, they won't come, and therefore, I probably won't come. In past years, we have waited hours or days to upgrade to the companion passes without any issue, so maybe just last year there was a problem? I don't know.  Might gencon be reducing the companions in order to sell more VIGs?  Maybe. It would make pretty good finanical sense to double the income by halving the amount of companions, but doubling the number of VIGs (simultaneously making of bunch of people happy that never had a chance to be VIGs under the current method). I don't know if this is the case, I wouldn't be surprised, but it devalues the entire VIG experience, and destroys the opportunity for families to take advantage of VIG/3 Companion passes.

Personally, if the VIGs will still have the ability to book 2 rooms, going forward, that alone will keep me coming back. But, I realize that if the true goal (#conspiracytheory) of Gencon is to cut companions down to 1 to allow the number of proper VIGs to double, that they might not be able to allow 2 rooms per VIG, as that would eat up a ton of attached hotel space.

Just my 2 cents.  Looking forward to another great time at GenCon, and hopefully not my last.

Posted by milkfromacow vinnay

vinnay wrote:
Vig Renewed and 2 rooms booked without any diffculty. I've been a VIG since second year it was offered (and was a VIG companion first year) so, I guess I'll chime in on a few things while I'm here. 
1. Point of information for booking VIG companions.  My group learned this lesson last year (someone from Gencon please correct me if this has changed) - If the VIG buys the companion passes outright, the companions will not get their own Housing Codes and will be unable to book their own rooms.  In all years but last, I had my companions buy thier own 4 day passes, and then I upgraded them to Companions.  This allowed us to book additional rooms beyond the 2 the VIG can book.  We got really screwed last year when we needed a third room and no one had housing codes because I bought the Companion passes outright for everyone.  We eventually had a spouse buy a pass just to get a housing code, but by the time we figured this out, everything was sold out and 2 people were relegated to sleeping on the floor in a crowded room (or stay 15 miles away).
2. On the quality of the VIG program experience - It has had its ups and downs over the past 6 years. Last year I felt a lot of frustration, partly because of the above hotel situation, but also it felt much too crowed in the lounge and without the giant bean bag chairs, there was a severe lack of comfortable seating. One of my favorite things to do after walking miles and miles was to plop down on one of those comfy chairs. I realize those were provided by a sponsor, and the couches last year were nice, but too few. The VIG bag last year was pretty good in my opinion, but honestly, it's almost always stuff I give away anyhow. I had two bad experiences with VIG room workers that I don't want to get into the details of, but it made me feel like a very unimportant gamer. All of that said, I still think the VIG program is worth it because of the VIG room block and the ability to have 3 companions.....
3. Reducing the companions to 1 (and presumably room bookings to 1) may spell the end of my VIG renewal, and consequently, my attendance at Gencon at all. Perhaps this is what is intended by the change - make it unattractive to renew to allow more new people in.  I can't begrudge GenCon that, as I'm sure they get tons of angry notes from people wanting to be VIGs that can't get in. Like most folks, I come to Gencon with a group of friends. It's not so much a requirement that we all are VIGs or companions, but that we have access to attached hotel rooms. It's nice to be able to have a common place to meet, but the room bookings are where it's at.  With how much things are growing, its getting harder and harder to secure rooms in attached hotels. If I were in a position to have to stay 15 miles away, I just wouldn't come.  If my friends get stuck with that option, they won't come, and therefore, I probably won't come. In past years, we have waited hours or days to upgrade to the companion passes without any issue, so maybe just last year there was a problem? I don't know.  Might gencon be reducing the companions in order to sell more VIGs?  Maybe. It would make pretty good finanical sense to double the income by halving the amount of companions, but doubling the number of VIGs (simultaneously making of bunch of people happy that never had a chance to be VIGs under the current method). I don't know if this is the case, I wouldn't be surprised, but it devalues the entire VIG experience, and destroys the opportunity for families to take advantage of VIG/3 Companion passes.
Personally, if the VIGs will still have the ability to book 2 rooms, going forward, that alone will keep me coming back. But, I realize that if the true goal (#conspiracytheory) of Gencon is to cut companions down to 1 to allow the number of proper VIGs to double, that they might not be able to allow 2 rooms per VIG, as that would eat up a ton of attached hotel space.
Just my 2 cents.  Looking forward to another great time at GenCon, and hopefully not my last.

This is a great theory and definitely a possibility.  If this is the case, it sure would be nice for them to offer additional VIG slots to existing VIG members then, so they can at least supplement their original 3 companions by paying more money if they desire, otherwise, you might end up orphaning a group of people.

Posted by thenorthman

Here is another vote on probably dropping my VIG and attendence to Gencon if down to one companion badge.

I don't want to deal with the hotel issues is pretty close to the reason I keep doing the VIG as was originally.  The seperate place to register for games was a nice perk to. 

But if only one companion I think I would just stop going to Gencon since I would have to make choices on who could join me in the room.  

I think a survey should be done to the VIG's of last year and like to see the actual results of the survey.

Not some random gripping done by some people and the decision is being made due to a vocal minority....

I have only been a VIG since 2010 but to have to decide between my wife, my friend that I have gone to Gencon with since 2005, and soon my son would more than likely make me just not go at all.

Strange that this seems to have been made after the recent depature of the ones who use to run the VIG program and started working with Geekchic VIP type program.

Posted by noone

only problem with the theory is there are 250 VIGs and 350 companions.  So if they limit companions to one each that would only increase the possible VIGs to 300.  In the old forums it had been discussed over there is no room to grow the VIG program.  The lounge can't hold anymore people.  

Posted by mbuster1954

Just need a clarrification, I can buy my VIG badge until the end of the 10th? Just making sure!

Posted by hplustcraft

OK, registration went off without a hitch. 

Now, a question about my last year with 3 Companions... 

If I am 'Friends' on the Gen Con site with all 3 people, can I take care of all 3 of their $150 Companion badges (and by 'take care of' I mean pay to Gen Con the money that those people have paid to me...*GRIN*) in one fell swoop?

Or do I have to wait for them to buy a normal badge, THEN go in and upgrade it to Companion? 

If the first option is correct, is the day I can do that January 22 at Noon (EST)? 

Thanks! 

L-

Posted by hawkeye hplustcraft

hplustcraft wrote:
OK, registration went off without a hitch. 
Now, a question about my last year with 3 Companions... 
If I am 'Friends' on the Gen Con site with all 3 people, can I take care of all 3 of their $150 Companion badges (and by 'take care of' I mean pay to Gen Con the money that those people have paid to me...*GRIN*) in one fell swoop?
Or do I have to wait for them to buy a normal badge, THEN go in and upgrade it to Companion? 
If the first option is correct, is the day I can do that January 22 at Noon (EST)? 
Thanks! 
L-
You can, however they will not be able to get a hotel through the housing portal. If they purchase their own badge and then you upgrade them they will be able to get a room through the portal.

Posted by inazuma99

Are the hotels in the VIG Housing Block a variety (mix of downtown/not, multiple downtown), or all at a 1-2 locations?  I have only seen the Embassy mentioned.

Posted by marimaccadmin

There are multiple downtown hotel options for the VIGs.

Posted by sockarang inazuma99

inazuma99 wrote:
Are the hotels in the VIG Housing Block a variety (mix of downtown/not, multiple downtown), or all at a 1-2 locations?  I have only seen the Embassy mentioned.

All the hotels are in the Block. We normally go Westin but for just a little more we went with the JW were the rooms are twice the size.

Posted by butterfli820

Does anyone know when they will announce the winners of the VIG raffle? Thanks!
:) 

Posted by big12cowboys

I called customer service today for some help and talked to Mike.  He said the drawing will probably be Monday at the earliest.  Without any other official word, I'm going to give it at least a week after that to hear.

Posted by wiltey

Last year it was an email response.  Good Luck!

Posted by toddcblank

Did I miss the oppurtunity to try to get one of the few VIG passes that aren't re-claimed?  I've been tryin keep my eyes open, but haven't been able to find any information about where to sign up to try to get one of the unclaimed VIG passes.

Posted by inazuma99

It is a lottery setup.  Send an email to [email protected], include your name, ID# (next to your name when you log in), and email address for your gencon account.  I assume they are still taking submissions.

Lottery emails go out Monday (or so).

Posted by rpeiper

The deadline I saw was the 11th for VIG lottery submissions. So you still have time to get yours in. 

Posted by thenorthman

wrong dates. 

Posted by kjelstad

Any idea what odds on a VIG are?  do they have three with 10,000 people trying to get them?  some real lottery odds?  

If I roll 4D6 and the person next to me survives a shark attack only to be struck by lightning, will I have a better chance of becoming an astronaut than getting the VIG, Mr Pesident?   

Posted by hawkeye kjelstad

kjelstad wrote:
Any idea what odds on a VIG are?  do they have three with 10,000 people trying to get them?  some real lottery odds?  
If I roll 4D6 and the person next to me survives a shark attack only to be struck by lightning, will I have a better chance of becoming an astronaut than getting the VIG, Mr Pesident?   
They won't know until after midnight tonight how many are going to be available for the drawing, since last year's VIGs have until 11:59 tonight to renew.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
1 2 3 5 7 8