VIG info
Posted by sindee

Just purchased mine. I used the normal registration "get a badge" link on the main page.

Posted by hawkeye

Badge Registration and Hotel Registration went very smooth. Done in less than 10 minutes with no problems.

Posted by milkfromacow

Yes, me too. Very easy. Button on the top left. "Get a Badge"
Would be nice if we could get our companions now too :(

Posted by kevinj4

Everything went very smoothly.  Am registered for my VIG badge and have my hotel reservation done at the Embassy Suites.

The transaction worked much better than last year.  Well done GenCon

Posted by a dark rider on a pale ... unicorn?

That all went very well. He said, moments before his computer sprouted tentacles & lunged for his eyes.

Posted by wiltey

also done... hooray!

Posted by marimaccadmin

Soooo.....no one's had problems yet, she asked warily?

Posted by a dark rider on a pale ... unicorn? marimaccadmin

marimaccadmin wrote:

Is it just me, or is anyone else imagining marimaccadmin peering warily at their computer from behind a sofa or office chair, in case all hell breaks loose?

Posted by remnant

I guess I don't think you can put in two reservations with different dates at the same hotel same hotel room type?  That's not really a problem though on the grand scale.

Posted by sockarang

Yeah I got mine officially at 2 mins. past the hour. Hotel booked and badge paid for. All really smooth.

I was going to wait till Gencon to say something but I guess I should say it now;

It is a huge mistake limiting Companions to just one in 2017. Yes they sell out but there has always been plenty of opportunity for you to buy the badges if you really wanted to. Last year I had two Companions and missed out on a third only because he wasn't sure if he wanted to come and like a month went by. 

I do VIG with my fiance and Frank (I am sure he has made himself well known to the other VIG'ers and def. the VIG staff). The third spot (if I can get it) rotates between my family on who gets to use it. 

Limiting the badges to just one literally ruins all of our Gencon's. That means only my finace can be a Companion and never will Frank get to participate with us, or my brother, etc. 

Espcially with the consistant rising costs to both badges, I feel like this is a punch in the gut. It really makes VIG less valuble since my tight knit group can't participate together. Yeah yeah, I know what you are saying, "Most of Gencon has nothing to do with VIG, you don't need to be VIG to hang out at all". While that is true, our group has literally needed the VIG lounge. Frank is in a wheelchair and with how crowded Gencon gets, it is the only salvation for us as a group to hang out, relax, eat our food, etc. 

But it goes beyond my group, that was just the selfish part of my complaint. I really am concerned at who I won't get to see from other people's groups and friends in 2017. We in the VIG lounge have become like a family. Getting to see each other year after year and catch up. New faces are always great and welcomed but if it comes at the cost of losing those that I have gotten to know over the years and all due to a policy change, then that really isn't worth it. 

There are always going to be people that aren't happy with the way things are. Every year this forum fills with hate threads over the badge system and housing portal and the lotterys, etc. But I would be very surprised if the majority of VIG'ers want there to be a restriction of Companions down to ONE! 

In the end, this policy change solves one problem but creates many others. Call me "over dramatic" if you will, but this is the one vacation I get to take each year and it means a lot to me. 

Posted by mikeboozer remnant

remnant wrote:
I guess I don't think you can put in two reservations with different dates at the same hotel same hotel room type?  That's not really a problem though on the grand scale.

You can accomplish this in two ways.

First you only make one reservation, and then go back in and make another by using the link at the top of the reservation page. Important: only the first reervation will be visible on your confirmation page so make sure you save all of your reservations for future reference.

Secondly you can always go in and modify one of your reservations yourself.

the wandering monster wrote:
marimaccadmin wrote:

Is it just me, or is anyone else imagining marimaccadmin peering warily at their computer from behind a sofa or office chair, in case all hell breaks loose?
usually VIG renewal is pretty much problem free.  There's only 250 max on the computer so we don't cause it to crash but we are the Guinea pigs for testing any upgrades.  But since event submission also started today at the same time I can see both marimaccadmin and Derrick both hiding behind the couch.

Posted by remnant

No worries, I need to check on the other guest for my room to see if we really wanted to be in Indy for 7 days versus the 4.5 we usually are.

Posted by milkfromacow sockarang

sockarang wrote:
Yeah I got mine officially at 2 mins. past the hour. Hotel booked and badge paid for. All really smooth.
I was going to wait till Gencon to say something but I guess I should say it now;
It is a huge mistake limiting Companions to just one in 2017. Yes they sell out but there has always been plenty of opportunity for you to buy the badges if you really wanted to. Last year I had two Companions and missed out on a third only because he wasn't sure if he wanted to come and like a month went by. 
I do VIG with my fiance and Frank (I am sure he has made himself well known to the other VIG'ers and def. the VIG staff). The third spot (if I can get it) rotates between my family on who gets to use it. 
Limiting the badges to just one literally ruins all of our Gencon's. That means only my finace can be a Companion and never will Frank get to participate with us, or my brother, etc. 
Espcially with the consistant rising costs to both badges, I feel like this is a punch in the gut. It really makes VIG less valuble since my tight knit group can't participate together. Yeah yeah, I know what you are saying, "Most of Gencon has nothing to do with VIG, you don't need to be VIG to hang out at all". While that is true, our group has literally needed the VIG lounge. Frank is in a wheelchair and with how crowded Gencon gets, it is the only salvation for us as a group to hang out, relax, eat our food, etc. 
But it goes beyond my group, that was just the selfish part of my complaint. I really am concerned at who I won't get to see from other people's groups and friends in 2017. We in the VIG lounge have become like a family. Getting to see each other year after year and catch up. New faces are always great and welcomed but if it comes at the cost of losing those that I have gotten to know over the years and all due to a policy change, then that really isn't worth it. 
There are always going to be people that aren't happy with the way things are. Every year this forum fills with hate threads over the badge system and housing portal and the lotterys, etc. But I would be very surprised if the majority of VIG'ers want there to be a restriction of Companions down to ONE! 
In the end, this policy change solves one problem but creates many others. Call me "over dramatic" if you will, but this is the one vacation I get to take each year and it means a lot to me. 
I also agree with most of this.  Going from 3 to 1 is pretty dramatic.  My son will be 13 this year, which means that next year I either have to forfeit VIG or wave at him from inside the lounge with my wife.  How about decreasing it to 2 companions and see how that works first.  Please reconsider.  Also, please bring back buying companion badges on VIG badge purchase day.  I'd rather not be pinned to the login screen for more than 1 day if I don't have to.

Posted by dballing

All of this discussion raises for me the other salient point: 

When will the VIGs-only forum be live on the new message boards (ie, here)?

Posted by wiltey

Am i supposed to be able to book a second room at this moment?  I get hit with an access code request when i try to make a second reservation.

Posted by marimaccadmin

Mike said above:

First you only make one reservation, and then go back in and make another by using the link at the top of the reservation page. Important: only the first reervation will be visible on your confirmation page so make sure you save all of your reservations for future reference.

Posted by themalks

[This post has been removed]

Posted by wiltey marimaccadmin

marimaccadmin wrote:
Mike said above:
After i click the "Make Another Reservation" I am sent to a page that asks for an access code.

Posted by mikeboozer wiltey

wiltey wrote:
marimaccadmin wrote:
Mike said above:
After i click the "Make Another Reservation" I am sent to a page that asks for an access code.

Please call q-rooms at 317-688-1323 to assist you with your second reservation.

Mike Boozer
Customer Service & Volunteer Manager
Gen Con LCC

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
1 2 4 6 7 8