VIG info
Posted by remnant

I read what the VIG Program entailed and tried to sign up, I got a VIG Badge.  I've come with several people before and invited someone out to Gen Con to just play games with me for four days (On a schedule) all they had to do was buy a plane ticket and their own food out and about, I've even gone solo (Last year) and had fun at Gen Con every year.  It's part of the experience for me now, not the primary thing going on or what my Gen Con schedule is based around but I like what I get for what I'm paying so I'm happy.

Could they do more?  Yes.  Could they do less and most people will still be happy?  Probably.  So whether you'd chucking dice that you think will melt since you rolled your fifth 20 in a row, you're playing war games, larping, plaing a board game, card game, have people at an event look at you funny since you're just standing there taking pictures, (I have no idea what you people are doing but it looks cool explains a lot) or you lost the bet with your friends and are learning to belly dance... I think you're going to have fun (in theory at least) at Gen Con.  The VIG program is kind of like chocolate shavings on my Gen Con Sunday.

Posted by kaledor

So far the feedback here does not support the limitation of 1 compainion badge in 2017. I think a phase approach, drop it down to two badges to see if it sells out in 2017 before those that could not get 1 badge.

Question: Are the badges that are not sold for companion in 2017 be open to first come first serve when the regular badges come up for sale? Are those badges limited to a total of 3? Or can you get as many as you want?

Posted by fedifensor

Honestly, much of the value of a VIG package is due to the companion badges.  Sharing the benefit of the VIG room and the early access to the Dealer Room is a large part of the value, for me.  With only one companion, I can't bring both my wife and daughter along, which means this will be my last year as a VIG.

If GenCon reduces the number of companion badges that can be bought, demand will go down.  Which isn't a problem for them, because demand far outstrips supply right now.  However, given the price increases and massive reduction in companion badges, I can see GenCon not being able to sell all of their VIG packages in 2018.

Posted by kevinj4

I am one of those VIG people who always buys 3 companion badges.  I go with my gaming group and we have two VIGs who allow access for the rest of the group to become companions.  The benefit for us is that we can all get into the same hotel, have a meeting place with drinks and get into the dealer hall earlier. 

Though I appreciate the companies who contribute to the swag bag, a number of the items are either given to other VIG members or taken back to my FLGS to share the love.  The swag is an important part but there has always been only a few items that really stand out for me.  There are excellent card products but I'm not a CCG player.  I love miniatures and miniature games.  Regardless, I appreciate the effort.  It's too bad that we can't stream what people's general preferences were to make it easier (and more lucrative) for companies to contribute swag that is going towards their target audience.

As for the price increase, this is a little rough considering that there doesn't seem to be much justification for the increase.  Being Canadian, it will cost me about $770 due to the exchange rate.  My companions will pay about $238.  That doesn't include the increase for hotels and other items due to the exchange rate.  Though everyone likes GenCon, my group is starting to look at other conventions for our big trip which seem to have more "bang for the buck".  I hope it doesn't happen but GenCon may be one of those events that is once every couple of years.  If that is the case, I doubt I will be able to keep my VIG status - especially if only 1 of my friends can become a companion.

Posted by glory mikeboozer

mikeboozer wrote:
Two points of clarification.
The limit on the VIG companion badges for 2017 is for the exact reason that sindee pointed out. Feedback from our VIG's indicates that many of them are not able to get a companion badge because the badges are sold out.
The general registration for new VIG's will be via a random selection process like we did last year.
If you are interested in being a new VIG or know someone who is please have them email us at [email protected] with their name, and I will be happy to put them in the random selection process. 
Mike Boozer
Customer Service & Volunteer Manager
Gen Con LLC
Just did this. 

Thank you, Mike. 

Posted by noone glory

glory wrote:
mikeboozer wrote:
Two points of clarification.
The limit on the VIG companion badges for 2017 is for the exact reason that sindee pointed out. Feedback from our VIG's indicates that many of them are not able to get a companion badge because the badges are sold out.
The general registration for new VIG's will be via a random selection process like we did last year.
If you are interested in being a new VIG or know someone who is please have them email us at [email protected] with their name, and I will be happy to put them in the random selection process. 
Mike Boozer
Gen Con LLC
Just did this. Thank you, Mike. 
just a point you my want to think about.  The VIG renewal starts Thursday through Sunday then Monday you have open vig slots go up for the drawing.  Since these forums are mostly empty until right before actual registration opens up in 3 weeks.  You may want to send an email blast, post in Facebook and Twitter to make sure everyone who wants to be a VIG gets a shot at it.  Since hardly anyone (percentage wise verses total attendees) visits the forums in early Jan unless you want to hear about the unfair secert drawing that no one had a chance to enter ALL YEAR.

Posted by kaledor

Mike Boozer - are you going to send a confirmation email for those that added their names to become a VIG? My friends said they sent in their names and emails but no response, i.e. confirmation.

Thanks!
Ed

Posted by hplustcraft

A weird thought... In re-reading that original VIG email from the blast in December, when it talks about the hotel (for THIS year, not 2017), it phrases it as if we only get one room, singular, not the two we've been allowed to reserve from the VIG block in the past. 

Do we get 1 room guaranteed, or 2?

Can I get an official answer on this? 

L-

Posted by mikeboozer kaledor

kaledor wrote:
Mike Boozer - are you going to send a confirmation email for those that added their names to become a VIG? My friends said they sent in their names and emails but no response, i.e. confirmation.
Thanks!
Ed

If they have responded with the correct information I have entered them into the selection process. I'm not sending out another email. As soon as I get the correct information from them, which is their ID# and Gencon email address they go into my "VIG Drawing" email folder which I triple check against my VIG email box and Customer Service box!
Then I put them on a spread sheet that I check against my email boxes.
The process is quite redundant with fail safes and bells that ring if I don't recheck the color coding to make sure I have the right information.

I only contact people to request the correct information. If you have sent that in then you're in the drawing!

Mike Boozer
Gen Con LLC

Posted by mikeboozer hplustcraft

hplustcraft wrote:
A weird thought... In re-reading that original VIG email from the blast in December, when it talks about the hotel (for THIS year, not 2017), it phrases it as if we only get one room, singular, not the two we've been allowed to reserve from the VIG block in the past. 
Do we get 1 room guaranteed, or 2?
Can I get an official answer on this? 
L-

All returning VIG's have the opportunity to book two rooms.
Just an FYI for those of you returning VIG's. If you want to book 2 rooms you can do so by just selecting 2 room instead of 1 on the drop dwon menu when searching for hotels in the portal.

Mike Boozer
Gen Con LLC

Posted by sindee kaledor

kaledor wrote:
I agree with hobbun, I am not in favor of limiting companion badges. I made a point of purchasing mine when they opened up. I did hear in the VIG room a couple of VIG were complaining that when the regular registration opened they could not get companion badges. Maybe the should have purchased them at the time of the VIG badge opening? Just a thought.

Can you buy companion badges during the early renewal? The way I read the newsletter it looks like you have to wait until normal registration opens on 1/22. Am I missing something? 

"VIG Companion badges will go on-sale starting on January 22 with normal Badge Pre-Registration. You may purchase up to three VIG Companion badges on a first-come-first-served basis, while supplies last. PLEASE NOTE: This will be the final year that Gen Con will allow three companions. In future years, VIGs only may bring one companion per VIG badge. "

Posted by noone

This year that's how it works in prior years you could buy the companion badges durning the open VIG renewal period.  Also in prior years you could "reup" as a VIG anytime after the renewal period open up to the day before badge registration opened.  The 4 day renewal along with only being able to buy companion badges after general badge registration opens are both new this year

Posted by milkfromacow noone

miked wrote:
This year that's how it works in prior years you could buy the companion badges durning the open VIG renewal period.  Also in prior years you could "reup" as a VIG anytime after the renewal period open up to the day before badge registration opened.  The 4 day renewal along with only being able to buy companion badges after general badge registration opens are both new this year

And this is too bad too.  I don't understand why they would introduce additional strain and frustration to VIGs when they could just get the companion badges out of the way before their server goes into crash mode.

Posted by big12cowboys

I tried sending an email to [email protected] and got an undeliverable error message back.  Thoughts?  *Edit- I just checked and it said "Delivery Status Notification (Failure)."

DOH!  See kids?  Proofreading is an important skill to learn.

Posted by fordan

Try gencon.com?

Posted by hawkeye noone

miked wrote:
Last year I was not able to get companion badges during the early renewal period. I was only able to select my VIG badge. I had to wait until general badge registration opened to get companion badges.

Posted by kevinj4

I believe last year we were only getting our VIG badges prior to the general registration date.  The companion badges were opened up at the same time as regular registration.  The only things different this year are that the window to renew is smaller and that we are doing our hotel at the same time.

Posted by kevinj4

I do have a question with the new website.  I understand that we will be able to renew and get our hotel bookings at noon eastern time. 

What page will the renewal portal show up on?  I got my VIG renewal e-mail but it doesn't have this information on it.

Thanks for the help :)

Posted by milkfromacow kevinj4

kevinj4 wrote:
I do have a question with the new website.  I understand that we will be able to renew and get our hotel bookings at noon eastern time. 
What page will the renewal portal show up on?  I got my VIG renewal e-mail but it doesn't have this information on it.
Thanks for the help :)

I guess we'll find out shortly.  I would assume there would be a renewal button on the home page when you login like last year.

Posted by noone

The get a badge button is on the left side of the screen.  Not the right side pull down like the web page instructions say.  Other than that I had no problem

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
1 3 5 6 7