OFFICIAL HOUSING QUESTIONS THREAD
(Pinned)
7 8 9 11
7 8 9 11
Posted by dreamitdoit

Looking at my reservation acknowledgement, I see my credit card and my billing address, but my wife's name as the name on the card. It's not. Will we have a problem? if so, what's the best way to fix without losing the reservation?

Posted by marimaccadmin

It's probably fine, but you can call Q rooms if you want to make sure.

Posted by marimaccadmin

[This post has been removed]

Posted by krocause breye

breye wrote:
Yep, I JUST booked a room, 10 miles out, without a car, exciting.
No wait list means that at random come on back and maybe you'll get lucky, or maybe not.
When the Indy Housing and Convention was handling the rooms, a wait list did not seem to be an onerous task for them to handle. Getting not only any room downtown, but the specific hotel and type of room that I wanted had never been a problem, much less, "impossible".

i agree its terrible now, now some months late can get a room just as easily as you who was early, pepared and unrewarded 

Posted by brotherbock krocause

krocause wrote:
breye wrote:
No wait list means that at random come on back and maybe you'll get lucky, or maybe not.
When the Indy Housing and Convention was handling the rooms, a wait list did not seem to be an onerous task for them to handle. Getting not only any room downtown, but the specific hotel and type of room that I wanted had never been a problem, much less, "impossible".
i agree its terrible now, now some months late can get a room just as easily as you who was early, pepared and unrewarded 

The process has just changed so that preparation and dedication are now warranted and rewarded *after* the housing rush. The people dedicated enough to keep checking the system, and hang out on the housing forums, are getting rooms. The people who aren't dedicated aren't.

I don't see this as any worse than the previous system. That system rewarded preparation initially, and then rewarded someone simply signing up and then putting in no effort afterwards (a wait list). And in fact, the 'preparation' of the previous system simply involved finding a fast connection, being ready at one time, and then being lucky.

This current system makes everyone just as lucky (ignoring the 'preparation' of having a fast connection...which takes little effort at all), and rewards effort later on.

This current system is actualy more rewarding to people who put in effort.

Posted by thybeli

I can't afford to get my badge until my next paycheck, which means that I haven't been able to look at the GenCon Housing portal yet.  Are there any rooms left for reasonable rates, or am I SOL?

Posted by austicke thybeli

thybeli wrote:
I can't afford to get my badge until my next paycheck, which means that I haven't been able to look at the GenCon Housing portal yet.  Are there any rooms left for reasonable rates, or am I SOL?

I understand there's still plenty of resonably priced rooms available. Just none close.

Posted by thybeli austicke

austicke wrote:
thybeli wrote:

I understand there's still plenty of resonably priced rooms available. Just none close.

I don't really mind that, my husband and I were in one of the farther hotels last year.  We drove to one of the parking garages each day and paid for parking.  Annoying?  Yes, but in the end it cost us less for our room + parking than it would have for a partner hotel anyway.  Which meant more money for games.  We just ended up walking a lot and getting a lot of exercise.  

Posted by sailornicole

On the Housing webpage it states, "Reservations created in the official Gen Con 2016 housing block are not guaranteed until confirmed by the hotels via electronic room confirmation email message, which will be transmitted to guests by the hotels after the Gen Con housing period has ended. Purchase of a Gen Con badge does not guarantee hotel room availability within the official housing block."

What is the approximately date the Gen Con housing period ends and we should expect our confirmation message from the hotel (if I'm interpreting that correctly)? Not worried about losing my room, but am interested in contacting the hotel and asking a few questions. Thanks!

Posted by marimaccadmin

The reservations are transferred to the hotels about a week before Gen Con.

Posted by sailornicole marimaccadmin

marimaccadmin wrote:
The reservations are transferred to the hotels about a week before Gen Con.
Thank you!

Posted by melkor

Hey all, please forgive if this has been posted, but has anyone stay at Residence Inn on the Canal?
Please share you impressions of the place if you have. Thanks!

Posted by divachelle

Regarding the Residence Inn on the Canal, we stayed there about 4-5 years ago, and it was really nice. Great breakfast variety, huge room with a kitchen and pull out couch, and a manager's reception each weeknight, one of which was a full cookout with grilled burgers and hot dogs and picnic food.

Parking was a flat weekly fee, which was much cheaper than the nightly rates we're seeing at the Embassy. 

I'd stay there again with no hesitation.

Posted by melkor

Thanks much, Divachelle, good to know. :-)

Posted by divachelle

You're welcome.

It is, however, a bit of a long-ish walk to the Con, like 20 minutes or so. This was reminded to me by my husband.

Posted by michmat melkor

melkor wrote:
Hey all, please forgive if this has been posted, but has anyone stay at Residence Inn on the Canal?
Please share you impressions of the place if you have. Thanks!
I really like it! Have since moved to the Hilton since it's closer, but it's not a far walk and you get a lot of great food for the price of a walk :) It's possible to bulk up on breakfast and then not eat again till dinner! Rooms are comfy and larger than standard.  Walls are kind of thin, I remember our neighbor being a mite upset that we were playing games till one AM. But over all I think it's a great choice.

Posted by lore seeker

Not a question, but I just wanted to give a "thank you" to Frida, the woman on the GenCon hotline that helped me today with my downtown room transfer. The whole process went incredibly smoothly and didn't take long at all, and now I've got a room right in the middle of the action.

I'm pretty happy right now :)

Posted by david campbell

I might have asked this in the wrong area before; sorry for the repost, but "Official Questions Thread" looks official....:)

I picked up a Westin room from a forumite; but it's only Thursday-Sunday (three nights). I'd like to add Tuesday and Wednesday but both are Xed out for the shoulder wait list  (oddly; it looks like a King is open on Tuesday with a wait list on Wednesday; but I need the double beds for four folks).I keep checking but the wait list just hasn't appeared for those nights. If I know it never will I can stop looking and go with plan B to simply call the Westin when the reservations are transferred and see if they can help.

TL;DR, do wait lists for shoulder nights ever open up, or once they are closed they stay closed?

Thanks!

edit: formatting.

Posted by david campbell

Scratch thatl thank you SO much Mike Boozer from Gen Con for getting me waitlisted for those night!

Truly appreciate that!

Posted by findelhe brotherbock

brotherbock wrote:
krocause wrote:
breye wrote:

The process has just changed so that preparation and dedication are now warranted and rewarded *after* the housing rush. The people dedicated enough to keep checking the system, and hang out on the housing forums, are getting rooms. The people who aren't dedicated aren't.I don't see this as any worse than the previous system. That system rewarded preparation initially, and then rewarded someone simply signing up and then putting in no effort afterwards (a wait list). And in fact, the 'preparation' of the previous system simply involved finding a fast connection, being ready at one time, and then being lucky.
This current system makes everyone just as lucky (ignoring the 'preparation' of having a fast connection...which takes little effort at all), and rewards effort later on.
This current system is actualy more rewarding to people who put in effort.
I would agree that the system is fair and give diligent people an opportunity to get what they want.

In my case a family member became really ill and was in the hospital at the time of the housing lottery.   I was not able to be at a computer during my time and to be truthful it was the last thing on my mind at the time.

But, through some effort I have made the system work for me.   I started out at 11 miles out and have now worked my way to 2 blocks away from the convention center.   And, to tell the truth it was not a story of constant hanging out on the forms all day or running a check bot (as some people claim is happening) but just checking in every once in a while.   Every time I was able to move my reservation to something closer it was during normal lunch hours at work.   Yes, a little luck is involved but put a little work into it and normally your can get what you want out of it.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
7 8 9 11
7 8 9 11