OFFICIAL HOUSING QUESTIONS THREAD
(Pinned)
3 4 5 7 9 10 11
3 4 5 7 9 10 11
Posted by marimaccadmin barbasol

barbasol wrote:
Hope I didn't run into a browser issue. 2 years ago I used Safari and it was very slow, but Firefox was ok. So this year I had it open in Firefox. 20 minute countdown (at 11:40) then at noon it said retreiving time please be patient, then it said "You will be given access to the Gen Con Housing Portal in:" with no countdown. So I opened the housing page in a new tab which took a couple minutes and that showed the same page this time with countdown 2 hours 20 minutes. Just hoping that I didn't get bumped into a longer wait because the first page seemed to fail to retrieve my slot. (I guess just mentioning here as way of bug reporting. thanks.)
Edit: seems 2 hours is normal, so probably ok.
  Refreshing has no affect on your queue space.

Posted by breye

OK, so the expiration date on the card has to be after Gen Con, but I dont have the new one from my bank yet, now what?

Posted by easytarget

Wonder if there's going to be anything left in 2 hours :D

Posted by marimaccadmin breye

breye wrote:
OK, so the expiration date on the card has to be after Gen Con, but I dont have the new one from my bank yet, now what?

You have to use a card that expires after Gen Con.  Maybe a family member or friend can let you borrow one.  You can change it when you check in to avoid a charge.

Posted by multicron

Please move GenCon to a city whose Convention Center has more than 100 rooms next to it. Seriously, this lottery is BS. At least give some kind of priority to multi-year attendees not named Wil Wheaton.

Posted by jmdolce easytarget

easytarget wrote:
Wonder if there's going to be anything left in 2 hours :D
I was wondering the same. :-(

Posted by timjs21

GenCon needs to move to Las Vegas or someplace that can accomodate what it's grown into.  This is the second year in a row that between four friends not one of us was able to get a slot earlier than 2 hours plus to get in.  By that time all the downtown rooms are long gone.  This not to mention the fact that most of the downtown rooms seem to have king beds instead of a two bed option.  Extremely frustrating!!!

Posted by multicron

Or Los Angeles, Austin, or Washington D.C. I get that they (may) want to keep hotel rooms cheap, but when 3/4 of the attendees also have to rent a car and pay outrageous parking fees, or pay for 10+ taxi rides, costs get out of control anyway.

Posted by marimaccadmin

Please do not turn this thread into another "Gen Con needs to move thread".  This is for housing questions.  If you really want to go down that road again, please start another thread, thank you.

Posted by droopymccool49 multicron

[This post has been removed]

Posted by pfricker

I've 40 minutes to go now. I have a question about rooms. I want to bring my family along but haven't got them tickets as yet. I need to be able to sleep 4 people; 2 doubles would be fine.
1. Does a King room have just one big bed?
2. Am I safe to assume a standard room has 2 double beds like most US hotels I've stayed in?
3. When a room lists 'sleeper sofa', I get that is an extra bed, but is this likely to result in a room with 3 or 2 beds? 

The answer may be that it varies from hotel to hotel. If so, fair enough, I'll just take the gamble. Thanks.

Posted by breye

Have you implemented a wait list for specific hotels this year?

I was pretty dissatisfied with the hotel I got stuck with last year due to the long wait, and this year I have randomly been assigned a time over an hour after than last year. 

Last year was the first year I'd had any trouble at all getting the hotel/room selection that I wanted due to the lack of a wait list.

Posted by brewski

Why wasnt it stated to refresh your page?
I patiently waited like instructed. Then I ask on tweeter what to do. They say refresh..... 2hr. 30min wait. Just like last year. Looks like one less person fighting for que next year. Im out.

Posted by marimaccadmin pfricker

pfricker wrote:
I've 40 minutes to go now. I have a question about rooms. I want to bring my family along but haven't got them tickets as yet. I need to be able to sleep 4 people; 2 doubles would be fine.
1. Does a King room have just one big bed?
2. Am I safe to assume a standard room has 2 double beds like most US hotels I've stayed in?
3. When a room lists 'sleeper sofa', I get that is an extra bed, but is this likely to result in a room with 3 or 2 beds? 
The answer may be that it varies from hotel to hotel. If so, fair enough, I'll just take the gamble. Thanks.

1. Yes.
2.  Usually; sometimes they are called queens, sometimes doubles, but there are usually two of them
3.   Depends on whether it is listed as a King with sleep sofa, or a double with sleeper sofa.

Posted by marimaccadmin breye

breye wrote:
Have you implemented a wait list for specific hotels this year?
I was pretty dissatisfied with the hotel I got stuck with last year due to the long wait, and this year I have randomly been assigned a time over an hour after than last year. 
Last year was the first year I'd had any trouble at all getting the hotel/room selection that I wanted due to the lack of a wait list.

There is no specific wait list for hotels, only for shoulder nights, if you already have a room booked in that hotel.

Posted by brewski

And page is refreshing. On its own pushing time back. Wow.

Posted by phkz24

question on parking rates listed on the hotel info page.

what do they represent?  for example it lists parking as " parking (overnight" and gives 2 prices. such as $25/$29.  Does that represent 1 day of parking (25) and parking overnight (29)? or is it 1 day of parking (25) and long term (more thatn 1 day) parking for hotel guests (29).  Just trying to figure my costs. Thanks.

Posted by semarcel

I'm having a hard time figuring out how to add shoulder nights.  Do I modify the existing reservation to add days?  I don't want to lose the days that I currently have.  Couldn't find it in FAQ, but also could just be missing it.  Thanks!

Posted by jeannette brewski

steven_crouch wrote:
And page is refreshing. On its own pushing time back. Wow.
You don't actually have access to the housing portal as you didn't purchase your badge. Your badge was purchased by your friend and only he will be able to access the housing portal. His wait time is a few hours. 

Posted by timjs21 marimaccadmin

marimaccadmin wrote:
Please do not turn this thread into another "Gen Con needs to move thread".  This is for housing questions.  If you really want to go down that road again, please start another thread, thank you.
Sorry, but my frustration is completely related to the housing situation and the lack of rooms available downtown.  Many seem to have the same issue with their no longer being sufficient housing to meet demand.  My concern seems pertinent here.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
3 4 5 7 9 10 11
3 4 5 7 9 10 11