loon wrote:
njseahawksfan wrote:
kiyote wrote:
andrewj.rager wrote:
kiyote wrote:
stiehle wrote:
austicke wrote:
gharris wrote:
It is interesting to see just how little Gen Con and the community on these forums seems to care about feedback and suggestions to fix problems at the convention, especially if they disagree with the "We have no problems Gen Con is the best quit your whining Yay Gen Con!" mindset. 
Sure I could couch my criticisms while hiding around a "lanyard" joke, but really I am just annoyed with the moderators for not closing this thread as soon as it started. Basically this is just a reopening of already closed threads, and building on another thread that was pretty much another reopening of a closed thread. 
Why should we bother giving feedback if Gen Con doesn't care? Why try to offer constructive criticism if the moderators don't care if people build threads around making fun of them? If I point out that this behavior isn't right and I get a backlash from these same people am I now the "problem"? If I defend myself will the thread get closed because it got "out of hand" or "off topic"? Will someone else be able to just start another thread all over again, but that is alright because they said "event tickets" instead of "lanyard"?
After having seen this I feel much better for sticking to my guns rather than caving because a couple of people on these forums disagreed with me. 
Disagreeing with an idea is one thing, allowing people on your forum to just sit and make fun of those ideas is another. This is just sad.

Haha! Best joke post yet! Nicely done!

Is this the start of a new and improved pyramid?

I get that he's upset, but I think there needs to be understanding that there will always be issues both out of the control of Gen Con and within the control of Gen Con, and with 65,000+ attendees there is literally nothing anyone can do to prevent every single issue.  This thread is for those of us who ride the wave of chaos and uncertainty, accept the world is imperfect, and have a laugh - all while getting soaked (and maybe a little dirty) along the way.Anyway...
New pyramid is best pyramid!
"Ride the wave of chaos and uncertainty"This should be Gen Con 2018's banner motto.

Ride the Wave of Chaos and Uncertainty
-Do not ingest water
-If water is ingested induce vomiting immediately
-Side effects may include....
Side effects may include
-inability to identify irony
-excessive flatulence
-strong desire to shout at cloudsIf you experience any of these symptoms, stop posting and contact your lanyard provider immediately.
Despite all the hype on this pyramid, I think the last pyramid was much better. Before we had bullet points and other things that are, at best, only peripherally related to pyramids. 
HA!  I'm so happy; I was catching up this thread after a couple of days away, saw the initial post in this pyramid, and thought, "Oh, this needs to be a pyramid!"  I was pleasantly surprised as I continued to scroll.  Well done, GenCon Community.  Well.  Done.  As Tony Mills said, "Keep the dream alive!"

Posted by mvotruba thepumaman

thepumaman wrote:
loon wrote:
njseahawksfan wrote:
kiyote wrote:
andrewj.rager wrote:
kiyote wrote:
stiehle wrote:
austicke wrote:
gharris wrote:
It is interesting to see just how little Gen Con and the community on these forums seems to care about feedback and suggestions to fix problems at the convention, especially if they disagree with the "We have no problems Gen Con is the best quit your whining Yay Gen Con!" mindset. 
Sure I could couch my criticisms while hiding around a "lanyard" joke, but really I am just annoyed with the moderators for not closing this thread as soon as it started. Basically this is just a reopening of already closed threads, and building on another thread that was pretty much another reopening of a closed thread. 
Why should we bother giving feedback if Gen Con doesn't care? Why try to offer constructive criticism if the moderators don't care if people build threads around making fun of them? If I point out that this behavior isn't right and I get a backlash from these same people am I now the "problem"? If I defend myself will the thread get closed because it got "out of hand" or "off topic"? Will someone else be able to just start another thread all over again, but that is alright because they said "event tickets" instead of "lanyard"?
After having seen this I feel much better for sticking to my guns rather than caving because a couple of people on these forums disagreed with me. 
Disagreeing with an idea is one thing, allowing people on your forum to just sit and make fun of those ideas is another. This is just sad.

I get that he's upset, but I think there needs to be understanding that there will always be issues both out of the control of Gen Con and within the control of Gen Con, and with 65,000+ attendees there is literally nothing anyone can do to prevent every single issue.  This thread is for those of us who ride the wave of chaos and uncertainty, accept the world is imperfect, and have a laugh - all while getting soaked (and maybe a little dirty) along the way.Anyway...
"Ride the wave of chaos and uncertainty"This should be Gen Con 2018's banner motto.

-Do not ingest water
Side effects may include
-excessive flatulence
-strong desire to shout at cloudsIf you experience any of these symptoms, stop posting and contact your lanyard provider immediately.
Despite all the hype on this pyramid, I think the last pyramid was much better. Before we had bullet points and other things that are, at best, only peripherally related to pyramids. 
HA!  I'm so happy; I was catching up this thread after a couple of days away, saw the initial post in this pyramid, and thought, "Oh, this needs to be a pyramid!"  I was pleasantly surprised as I continued to scroll.  Well done, GenCon Community.  Well.  Done.  As Tony Mills said, "Keep the dream alive!"
 I still haven’t gotten my thread lock warning…

You know, I demand...I mean ask for so little.

Why can’t Gen Con: have the hotel I want reserved for me, hold the event where & when I want, and make the vendors I want to buy from attend and hold product for me to come by and decide if I want it?

Gen Con doesn’t care about me.

Posted by aaronr mvotruba

voice_of_reason wrote:
thepumaman wrote:
loon wrote:
njseahawksfan wrote:
kiyote wrote:
andrewj.rager wrote:
kiyote wrote:
stiehle wrote:
austicke wrote:
gharris wrote:

-Do not ingest water
Side effects may include
-excessive flatulence
 I still haven’t gotten my thread lock warning…You know, I demand...I mean ask for so little.
Why can’t Gen Con: have the hotel I want reserved for me, hold the event where & when I want, and make the vendors I want to buy from attend and hold product for me to come by and decide if I want it?
Worse than that, they won't stop other people from getting things that I don't get! I mean if you can't at least give me all the things can you at a bare minimum make sure other people don't get things?

Posted by divachelle aaronr

aaronr wrote:
voice_of_reason wrote:
thepumaman wrote:
loon wrote:
njseahawksfan wrote:
kiyote wrote:
andrewj.rager wrote:
kiyote wrote:
stiehle wrote:
austicke wrote:
gharris wrote:

-Do not ingest water
Side effects may include
-excessive flatulence
 I still haven’t gotten my thread lock warning…You know, I demand...I mean ask for so little.
Worse than that, they won't stop other people from getting things that I don't get! I mean if you can't at least give me all the things can you at a bare minimum make sure other people don't get things?
#iwantallthethingsformyveryownself
#lanyardgate
#chaosanduncertainty2018

Posted by gharris choriqueso

shavenskaven wrote:

^^^Triggering Intensifies^^^btw... the only thing being made fun of on this thread is the idea that it's OK to make big deals out of trivial issues. This entire thread is in support of GenCon and I believe anyone who doesn't get the joke... well... :)

I didn't realize that we had chosen God Emperors who got to decide whose comments, feedback, and constructive criticisms were "trivial" enough to be made fun of.

Posted by gharris braewe

braewe wrote:
I think because Gen Con cannot reasonably do anything about the vast majority of these complaints.
1)  I didn't get into my chosen hotel (because 50,000 others wanted that hotel)
2)  I didn't get into my chosen event (See above)
3)  I think the convention should be in <insert preferred city> instead of Indy! 
4)  The gaming company I focus on didn't bring enough limited edition for everyone!
5)  The city of Indianapolis should provide better public transportation! (and more hotels)
6)  The convention would be better if X Y and Z events weren't offered! (Note: events that are not popular and don't get attendees get reduced space. Anyone ever notice what happened to Sixcess?)
I've only listed a few popular ones but this thread is the ability to REALIZE Gen Con cannot control these things and it's almost the convention and these? These are HILARIOUS. 

Actually Gen Con can do quite a bit about most of these issues in this thread.

Gen Con can do something about the stroller obstructions in the exhibit hall outside of the family day and areas.

Gen Con can do something about population bloat, especially due to constantly increasing rather than putting a limit on non-gaming events (remember, Gen Con itself defines many events as non-gaming), that puts a strain on the city's ability to host us. Besides, limited space, and now limited badge sales mean Gen Con can't sustain a generic "anything a gamer or a non-gamer family member can possibly be interested in" approach- it is just too broad.

Assuming Gen Con does nothing about population bloat, which starts to kill any attraction to staying in a city due to its downtown amenities due to limited people being able to stay downtown and a lack of public transit to get people downtown efficiently, Gen Con can absolutely look at moving to a different city when the current contract is up.

These issues have been brought up for years, and they are not HILARIOUS to the people discussing them.

Posted by loon divachelle

divachelle wrote:
aaronr wrote:
voice_of_reason wrote:
thepumaman wrote:
loon wrote:
njseahawksfan wrote:
kiyote wrote:
andrewj.rager wrote:
kiyote wrote:
stiehle wrote:
austicke wrote:
gharris wrote:

-Do not ingest water
Side effects may include
-excessive flatulence
#lanyardgate
#chaosanduncertainty2018
#TeamPyramid

Posted by gharris roganca

roganca wrote:

We are not trying to be sad. We are trying to be comedic.You are ruining it.

This thread was ruined well before I posted. Making comedy out of people's feedback is sad. 

Posted by gharris austicke

austicke wrote:

No joke here. 

Yes, I have steadfastly disagreed with people on these forums but I have never used their disagreements as joke fodder to help build pyramids on another thread.

It is bad enough that we have people that want to make fun of posts and posters rather than discuss issues that are important to others. That is not constructive at all. To just make more threads just aimed at making jokes about people's concerns, especially ones that Gen Con can actually do something about, defeats the purpose of having a discussion forum. 

If Gen Con truly wants to have an open and constructive forum the moderators need to crack down on this sort of behavior. 

Posted by gharris kiyote

kiyote wrote:

So what about the issues mentioned in this thread that are within Gen Con's control? They weren't jokes to the people who put in the tough and effort to post them to these forums. Should they be laughed at because people really want to build pyramids mocking their posts?

Posted by austicke

Haha, another set of golden parody posts. You are the master, gharris!

Posted by aaronr gharris

gharris wrote
Actually Gen Con can do quite a bit about most of these issues in this thread.Gen Con can do something about the stroller obstructions in the exhibit hall outside of the family day and areas.
Gen Con can do something about population bloat, especially due to constantly increasing rather than putting a limit on non-gaming events (remember, Gen Con itself defines many events as non-gaming), that puts a strain on the city's ability to host us. Besides, limited space, and now limited badge sales mean Gen Con can't sustain a generic "anything a gamer or a non-gamer family member can possibly be interested in" approach- it is just too broad.
Assuming Gen Con does nothing about population bloat, which starts to kill any attraction to staying in a city due to its downtown amenities due to limited people being able to stay downtown and a lack of public transit to get people downtown efficiently, Gen Con can absolutely look at moving to a different city when the current contract is up.
These issues have been brought up for years, and they are not HILARIOUS to the people discussing them.

So the two specific "problems" you bring up in this both have another side. They are not things that need to be fixed but things that you do not like and want to change. There is a pretty big difference.

I've been a parent with a stroller in the exhibit hall. I had the smallest stroller possible and was hyper aware of the people around me. If I had been told I was only welcome in certain areas or at certain times I definitely would have had an issue with that.

"Non-gaming" events have been a part of Gen Con for a long time and they will continue to be. There was someone either here or in a Facebook group who posted his prize for winning a costume contest at Gen Con in the early 80s. Events that are popular are brought back year to year and those that aren't get downsized or cut. Telling people they aren't having the right type of fun is certainly not what I think of when I think of Gen Con. I don't think any of us should declare ourselves God Emperors(tm) of other people's fun. Even if we did police the wrong kinds of fun I am not sure it would solve anything. There are not 100s or even 1000s of people coming to Gen Con and taking our hotel rooms just to learn how to knit.

There are a lot of windmills out there. Not all of them are giants.

Posted by aaronr loon

loon wrote:
divachelle wrote:
aaronr wrote:
voice_of_reason wrote:
thepumaman wrote:
loon wrote:
njseahawksfan wrote:
kiyote wrote:
andrewj.rager wrote:
kiyote wrote:
stiehle wrote:
austicke wrote:
gharris wrote:

-Do not ingest water
Side effects may include
-excessive flatulence
#lanyardgate
#chaosanduncertainty2018
#TeamPyramid
Also... Go Pyramid!!

Posted by lordnlkon gharris

gharris wrote:
braewe wrote:
I think because Gen Con cannot reasonably do anything about the vast majority of these complaints.
1)  I didn't get into my chosen hotel (because 50,000 others wanted that hotel)
2)  I didn't get into my chosen event (See above)
3)  I think the convention should be in <insert preferred city> instead of Indy! 
4)  The gaming company I focus on didn't bring enough limited edition for everyone!
5)  The city of Indianapolis should provide better public transportation! (and more hotels)
6)  The convention would be better if X Y and Z events weren't offered! (Note: events that are not popular and don't get attendees get reduced space. Anyone ever notice what happened to Sixcess?)
I've only listed a few popular ones but this thread is the ability to REALIZE Gen Con cannot control these things and it's almost the convention and these? These are HILARIOUS. 

Actually Gen Con can do quite a bit about most of these issues in this thread.Gen Con can do something about the stroller obstructions in the exhibit hall outside of the family day and areas.

It's obviously not much of a concern to Gencon. You might just have to accept that. They may lose some people like yourself who want to keep the convention small and have it only focused on gaming. However in the grand scheme of things, Gencon keeps getting bigger every year, so whatever they are doing, at least from their prospective, is working. 

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
4 5 6 8
4 5 6 8