I'm sure Gencon will allow the credit to be refunded (at last year's terms) or rolled to a future year, although they may or may not let it represent a full 2022 badge, if they think they might need to have a small price increase that year.
I do urge you to wait a little while to see what decisions we make as they might inform your decision more.
Since you mention making decisions, Mike, is there a rough timeline for when they might come? In the next day, the next week, in 2 weeks, Apr 1, etc? It might help bring the "antsy factor" down if people knew when the big calls might be coming (you don't need an exact date and time, just a rough timeline)...
I'm not entirely guaranteed that my vaccination will prevent me from becoming sick.
So no, it's not me. It's them I'm worried about at GenCon. I'm probably going to pass since I just can't see how they can guarantee my safety from reckless attendees.
I've been to events with a fraction of what GenCon will probably allow and they had absolutely no way of keeping everyone masked at all times. The last event I went to had 1,400 and there were plenty pulling their masks down once inside.
Anyone who doesnt want to comply with the policy simply shouldn't go.
You would think that with vaccinations available you would treat this the same way you would treat any other virus, like the flu ( I know it is not the same). If the science states that there is still significant risk with the virus, live new strains that the vaccine won't prevent, or some other factor, just cancel the event. There is no point in even pretending any policy would stop the spread at an event like gencon. You can barely avoid people and gaming for hours on end, even with a mask would be a high risk of exposure. Sign a waiver and be done with it.
I would like to rephrase that comment thusly:
If everyone who is willing to get a vaccine has done so and we still cannot have a Con, what will be different by next year?
i realize this is not realistic especially for the next few committed years.... but maybe consider moving the con to some state that has proven not to impose restrictions?
For now let's leave the topic of moving alone on this thread.
One of the big things is the ability and willingness of vendors and publishers to attend.
This recent article from Polygon reporting on Nova's cancellation for 2021 (was gonna be September 1st-5th) states the inability of large vendors (FFG, GW) as a factor. Of course this is more of a tourney con, but companies unable to commit for September could mean 1) they are saving their budgets for a big con (Gencon or Origins) or 2) holding out for later in the year events/next year.
If a tentpole company isn't comfortable committing on an event in ~6months, what are the chances they can commit to an event in ~5months? Not to mention international companies & attendees who will be dealing w/international travel restrictions. No FFG events means maybe no Asmodee, so all those volunteers and the events that they pack will be missing.
Gencon will have 40,000 or so people willing to attend under whatever restrictions are determined. That may be still financially viable enough to hold the convention.
I think these circumstances are different.