June Health and Safety Update
( Locked)
1 3 4 5
1 3 4 5
Posted by papabees

[This post has been removed]

Posted by fethbone

"Mask wearing will be required at all times for all unvaccinated persons [and persons declining to provide proof of vaccination]"

Does this apply to outdoor areas such as the beer tent as well?

Posted by buffythecatslayer papabees

Posted by papabees buffythecatslayer

Posted by roderick

Okay guys, Politics and similar talk is NOT ALLOWED here. 

Knock it off, or there will be  bannings. This is your one and only warning. 

Roderick Robertson
Forum Coordinator 
Gen Con, LLC. 

Posted by papabees

Fair point Roderick. I'll try to be less inflammatory. Let's try this:

Indianapolis, along with a number of other cities have lifted their mask mandate and attendance restrictions. Rather than set up proof of vax requirements, why not wait a until 30 days out from the Con to see if there are any Covid spikes before making this decision? If there are no spikes it indicates that masks are no longer needed for safety, if there are spikes, we can always mask up and 30 days prior there is still time for those that desire to vaccinate or mask up. Why draw the line in the sand now? 

Posted by kd8esu

A legit question for those who make these rules I have about having two sets of rules for two different groups of people:  If someone shows proof of active COVID antibodies, does that grant them the same rights as the vaccine card?  I ask because the CDC admits they never tested the vaccines on that group (plus, a lot of doctors I personally know are cautious about giving it to someone with active antibodies) and data is coming out that it's about as effective as the vaccine for prevention of transmission and infection
(https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectiousdisease/covid19/92836).

Posted by papabees kd8esu

kd8esu wrote:
A legit question for those who make these rules I have about having two sets of rules for two different groups of people:  If someone shows proof of active COVID antibodies, does that grant them the same rights as the vaccine card?  I ask because the CDC admits they never tested the vaccines on that group (plus, a lot of doctors I personally know are cautious about giving it to someone with active antibodies) and data is coming out that it's about as effective as the vaccine for prevention of transmission and infection
(https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectiousdisease/covid19/92836).

I asked this same question on Facebook. My doctor told me much the same and suggested as long as I'm producing antibodies I should wait on the vaccine, because y'know science. I was replied to by Gencon and told I was out of luck. No vaccine and I have to mask. This makes no sense to me whatsoever since my body is naturally producing antibodies but there you have it. I would love for them to revisit this decision especially if one can show a proof of antibody test. 

Posted by papabees

I'm going to ask directly on another thread in the hopes that they will address it directly.

Posted by kevinrg fethbone

fethbone wrote:
"Mask wearing will be required at all times for all unvaccinated persons [and persons declining to provide proof of vaccination]"

It is probably only anything that is 'controlled' by access to Gencon or given permission to be around for the event by Gencon.   A person that unmasks once they step outside Gencon and is unvaccinated, not much Gencon can do.   I guess that someone could run up and rip away their badge or something, but that just seems confrontational and nothing good is going to come from that.

Posted by kevinrg

papabees wrote:Why draw the line in the sand now? 

If they were tying anything to vaccinations, the call would have to come pretty much now given that 2 of the vaccines require pretty much a 5-6 week period.    If you were on the fence and no masks incentivizes you, now you know and have time.  30 days out you'd be out of luck unless you get the 1 dose.

Posted by quarex

And it is pretty easy to get vaccinated now almost regardless of where you are in the U.S.

Apologies in advance to anyone reading this from a place in the world where this is not the case.  I hate it for you.  Though you still might be able to come (and, as I witnessed first-hand many times, it is worth noting you do not need to be a citizen to get a vaccine while here)

Posted by bandersnatch1110

Unrelated question, and this could me being literal or misunderstanding something, but what exactly is meant by the Exhibit Hall not being ticketed?  Does that mean a badge is not required for entry to the Exhibit Hall proper?  

I guess the questions is if there is a difference in this context between a ticket and a badge.  Apologies if this has been addressed elsewhere but I didn't see it posted.

Posted by toxic_rat bandersnatch1110

bandersnatch1110 wrote:
Unrelated question, and this could me being literal or misunderstanding something, but what exactly is meant by the Exhibit Hall not being ticketed?  Does that mean a badge is not required for entry to the Exhibit Hall proper?  
I guess the questions is if there is a difference in this context between a ticket and a badge.  Apologies if this has been addressed elsewhere but I didn't see it posted.
Badges will still be required at the exhibit hall.  There was talk about requiring tickets for the first couple hours of the day to manage crowds inside the hall, but that's not in the plan now.  From what I can tell, entering the hall will be just as before.  Although I suspect that the door guards will ask to see wristbands too, if you don't have a mask on.

Posted by bandersnatch1110 toxic_rat

toxic_rat wrote:
bandersnatch1110 wrote:
Badges will still be required at the exhibit hall.  There was talk about requiring tickets for the first couple hours of the day to manage crowds inside the hall, but that's not in the plan now.  From what I can tell, entering the hall will be just as before.  Although I suspect that the door guards will ask to see wristbands too, if you don't have a mask on.
Exactly the explanation I needed.  Thanks so much!

Posted by vulcanspock papabees

papabees wrote:I asked this same question on Facebook. My doctor told me much the same and suggested as long as I'm producing antibodies I should wait on the vaccine, because y'know science. 

Y'know science?  No, I don't. Science is a consensus.   Unless you were treated with monoclonal antibodies or plasma in the past 90 days, your doctor should read up on the consensus recommendations because this isn't it. 

CDC website:  "Yes, you should be vaccinated regardless of whether you already had COVID-19. That’s because experts do not yet know how long you are protected from getting sick again after recovering from COVID-19. Even if you have already recovered from COVID-19, it is possible—although rare—that you could be infected with the virus that causes COVID-19 again. Studies have shown that vaccination provides a strong boost in protection in people who have recovered from COVID-19."

The decisions you make effect everyone else at the convention.  Gen Con has not just the right, but the responsibility to set evidence based procedures.   As far as I'm concerned, they're being generous letting unvaccinated folks come at all.

Posted by squirecam

Gencon made the correct call on this. No, you dont need to show proof of vaccination. Which is ok.

If you decline to show it, masks are required. Also ok.

Mask-wearing at Gen Con will be strongly recommended at all times indoors or in crowded areas for all Gen Con attendees

I am vaccinated and would have been fine with required masks for everyone. I just want to attend.

Posted by fethbone kevinrg

kevinrg wrote:
fethbone wrote:

It is probably only anything that is 'controlled' by access to Gencon or given permission to be around for the event by Gencon.   A person that unmasks once they step outside Gencon and is unvaccinated, not much Gencon can do.   I guess that someone could run up and rip away their badge or something, but that just seems confrontational and nothing good is going to come from that.

It was my understanding that badges were required to access the beer garden, as I always see GenCon employees milling around there and the Georgia St. Party area in general, but I could be mistaken.

It appears to be moot this year, as I don't see it on the event list, but the Orc Stomp was an event "controlled" by Gencon that was outdoors, and one that would be particularly onerous to wear a mask while participating in. They did state they plan to have more outdoor events this year, though. Also wondering about events that you must have a badge to register for, but the event is held offsite, such as the food, drink, and city tours. Is the expectation that the EOs enforce mask-wearing, or once the group has left for the tour it is up to the EO's preference?

As I mentioned in a different thread, I anticipate there to be plenty of confrontations about masking/vax status without any badge-snatching. >_>

Posted by mikeboozer bandersnatch1110

bandersnatch1110 wrote:

You must have a badge to enter the Exhibit Hall. WE had previously discussed also having to have a ticket to limit the amount of entries. That is no longer the case.

Mike

Posted by squirecam fethbone

As I mentioned in a different thread, I anticipate there to be plenty of confrontations about masking/vax status without any badge-snatching. >_>
This should be grounds for badge removal and banning from future conventions. 

People know the rules. They are clear. Either show proof and get a wristband or dont show proof and wear a mask.

There is no need to argue the policy. Anyone trying to do so is simply causing trouble for troubles sake and it shouldn't be tolerated. 

People also shouldn't be snatching people's badge or mask or insulting them. If people dont want to vaccinate but are wearing a mask they shouldn't feel like they are doing something wrong. They are complying with the rules.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
1 3 4 5
1 3 4 5