June Health and Safety Update
( Locked)
1 2 3 5 7 8
1 2 3 5 7 8
Posted by mjlaba48

Wife and I were just on a 7 night cruise. We wore a thin wristband to show that we were vaccinated.  It was of a cloth material which we wore for the entire cruise. I completely forgot that even had the thing on because you couldn’t really feel it.  I did not realize I still had it on my wrist until I got home from the cruise

Posted by qwaserity quarex

quarex wrote:
And "no proof of vaccinations, no badge" means "if you do not have a vaccination, you do not get a badge," not "this convention required neither proof of vaccination nor badges."  I had to re-read the opening after reading the whole message to realize what it was saying.
My bad English. When I write it reads like a technical manual.
And to answer another question: Kentucky, no mask mandate at the moment. However, they just announced this morning that at the Kentucky State Fair will require masks but only for the indoor events. The rides and most food are outside.

Posted by buffythecatslayer

Ahh, the wording was tricky.  Should have been "no vaccination, no badge".  Got it now.

Posted by ungmar9567

I know that things are different now than they were at the beginning of July, and they will be different again by Gen Con. But when I went to the ICC for Pop Con, it was just so nice to walk around without a mask or even having to show proof of a vaccine. It felt like we were heading back to normal. And I was really, really hoping for the same thing at Gen Con.

Posted by lore seeker

"Back to normal" for me (and many others, I think), means getting to go to Gen Con at all. Anything else is just sprinkles and toppings on the ice cream.

Posted by cloak72 mjlaba48

mjlaba48 wrote:
Wife and I were just on a 7 night cruise. We wore a thin wristband to show that we were vaccinated.  It was of a cloth material which we wore for the entire cruise. I completely forgot that even had the thing on because you couldn’t really feel it.  I did not realize I still had it on my wrist until I got home from the cruise
Out of curiosity, do you ordinarily wear things on your wrist?

Speaking only for myself, I can't.   At all.  It's a psychological condition, yes, but believe me it's quite real.   I would be gnawing off my arm within the hour.  Now, "luckily" the move to Sept. makes it impossible for me to go (End of quarter time off is a no-go), so it doesn't matter....

Posted by helenbb

@cloak72 , have you considered wearing a long-sleeved shirt? Then you could put the shirt sleeve between your skin and the wristband.

Posted by cloak72

Wish I could.   Can't even handle something that loose.

Posted by quarex

I feel for you.  My situation is not quite that bad, but I cannot wear shirts with the neck button buttoned or I end up busting the button off trying to loosen it (even if it is appropriately-sized).  I actually have a 5XL dress shirt for emergencies where I absolutely had to wear a tie, because the necks were large enough that I could make it 15-20 minutes seeming like a normal human instead of like a cat trying to get its collar off.  Ignoring the "not so normal-human" part of having a shirt so wide I can fold the sides around myself like a vest

Posted by hahnarama

Not sure about the rest of you and in case ANYONE at GC HQ is reading this...how about an update Aug/Sept health update. I would really like to know

1. How are we going to show proof of vaccination w/o standing in line for 4-6 hrs on opening day

2. With Delta running unchecked any changes in your plans to protect us :) 

Posted by fethbone hahnarama

hahnarama wrote:
Not sure about the rest of you and in case ANYONE at GC HQ is reading this...how about an update Aug/Sept health update. I would really like to know
1. How are we going to show proof of vaccination w/o standing in line for 4-6 hrs on opening day
2. With Delta running unchecked any changes in your plans to protect us :) 
Also still wondering about policy for outdoor areas where a badge is needed and expectation for EOs hosting events outside the ICC/hotel spaces.

Posted by grognard262 hahnarama

hahnarama wrote:1. How are we going to show proof of vaccination w/o standing in line for 4-6 hrs on opening day
2. With Delta running unchecked any changes in your plans to protect us :) 

1. It sounds like they plan to have wristbands available in many different places, not just will call.
2. Let's hope not.  It would be chaos, because people have already made the decision to attend (or not) based in part on the July 8th mask policy, and those people have already signed up for events.  If they backtrack on that and force fully vaccinated people wear masks in an effort to protect the unvaccinated, they risk angering a lot of folks.  At this point, anyone who attends has the tools to protect themselves without making everyone else miserable.

Posted by hahnarama

Protect is the wrong word, I misspoke. I should have said mitigate our risk of exposure. Yes I know I voluntarily have chosen to attend. :) 

Posted by grognard262 hahnarama

hahnarama wrote:Protect is the wrong word, I misspoke. I should have said mitigate our risk of exposure. Yes I know I voluntarily have chosen to attend. :) 

If you want to mitigate your risk of exposure, I wouldn't rely on the kindness of strangers.  Vaccines and N95 respirators are now widely available and will allow you protect yourself regardless of what others choose to do.

Posted by squirecam grognard262

chaoticneutral262 wrote:
hahnarama wrote:1. How are we going to show proof of vaccination w/o standing in line for 4-6 hrs on opening day
2. With Delta running unchecked any changes in your plans to protect us :) 

1. It sounds like they plan to have wristbands available in many different places, not just will call.
2. Let's hope not.  It would be chaos, because people have already made the decision to attend (or not) based in part on the July 8th mask policy, and those people have already signed up for events.  If they backtrack on that and force fully vaccinated people wear masks in an effort to protect the unvaccinated, they risk angering a lot of folks.  At this point, anyone who attends has the tools to protect themselves without making everyone else miserable.
its weeks before the convention and the rules can, and probably will, change to require masks for all. There is plenty of time to buy disposable ones before the convention.

As long as Marion county is in the danger zone, and it's getting worse by the way, the CDC is going to recommend masks and Gencon has always factored the CDC guidelines into its decisions.

Posted by brumcg

According to Kelsey on Discord, there's going to be a new Health & Safety Update this week.

I really wish this kind of info would be spread across all of the communication platforms.

Posted by hahnarama grognard262

chaoticneutral262 wrote:
hahnarama wrote:Protect is the wrong word, I misspoke. I should have said mitigate our risk of exposure. Yes I know I voluntarily have chosen to attend. :) 

If you want to mitigate your risk of exposure, I wouldn't rely on the kindness of strangers.  Vaccines and N95 respirators are now widely available and will allow you protect yourself regardless of what others choose to do.
Strangers SUCK! 

Posted by hahnarama squirecam

squirecam wrote:
=inheritits weeks before the convention and the rules can, and probably will, change to require masks for all. There is plenty of time to buy disposable ones before the convention.As long as Marion county is in the danger zone, and it's getting worse by the way, the CDC is going to recommend masks and Gencon has always factored the CDC guidelines into its decisions.

I'm local and I have already gone back to masking up when I'm out n about. 

I was Downtown today so I stuck my head in the Convention center since FDIC is going on this week. 10,000 fire fighters aka first responder are in town and I bet I only saw 10-15 guys wearing masks. :( 

Posted by fethbone brumcg

brumcg wrote:
According to Kelsey on Discord, there's going to be a new Health & Safety Update this week.
I really wish this kind of info would be spread across all of the communication platforms.
Definitely. I keep my friends updated through checking the forums, since we either do not have or do not subscribe to Gencon on Facebook, Twitter, Discord, etc., and they have told me they don't get a lot of these of-the-minute announcements through the mailing list. I went through my old emails and confirmed that I didn't receive any emails specifically referring to the health and safety updates from the list. It's probably an "encouragement" to get followers on social media. 

Posted by qwaserity

I'm hoping that masks won't be required the entire time of GenCon. I grew up in a state known for its cold, its cheese and its cold. I've been in -80 windchills and -40 weather and every time I wear a mask or scarf I start to heat up. I'm sweating in 10 minutes and feeling nauseous after 20. That's the main reason I got my shots. I spent the last year grocery shopping in 15 minute bursts. That's why I couldn't go to a Christmas mass with my family. Now if GenCon was willing to turn the temperature down to about 45 degrees I could wear a mask all the time...

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
1 2 3 5 7 8
1 2 3 5 7 8