June Health and Safety Update
( Locked)
1 3 5 6 7
1 3 5 6 7
Posted by donaldbain boute001

boute001 wrote:Many people are irrational, as well as confrontational.Can you honestly say the board game community of 40,000+ strangers are not going to have any issues with the people walking around with no bracelets?  Sorry, but that’s not the experience in the world that I live in currently.
No issues?  No.  Enough to worry about and use that as the sole factor in going?  Also no. 

The people without the bracelets will be wearing masks or they will be ejected.  Your scenario of fights breaking out between the braceleted and the raw-wristed is not worth the worry. 

Posted by vulcanspock boute001

boute001 wrote:
So in essence Gencon is supporting physically marking individuals who are not vaccinated and/or those that do not believe in showing physical evidence of their personal medical information. Vaccinations are a very hot topic nationwide and this is setting up a HUGE probability for confrontations and/or unneeded tensions.
will booths be allowed to not serve or talk to those without a bracelet? Will events be segregated?  
Everyone just wearing a mask would have made the con go smooth.  Now you basically invited individuals to walk around with their bracelet as a badge of morality and discriminate those without.  
good luck this year.  I do not want to be anywhere near that con, because you are creating to much risk of violence and unneeded tension for me to feel comfortable to attend.

It seems like your primary concern is that you won't be able to blend in amongst those of us who are, you know, actually solving the problem that the world faces.  Without those of us getting vaccinated, the in-person convention wouldn't be happening.  At all.

You have to wear a mask and others don't.  That bothers you.  But, I think you should be grateful that they are allowing you come at all.  They didn't have to.  They could have simply required vaccines.  Make no mistake - they are assuming risk by admitting you.  We all are.

You want the freedom to make your own choice -- and not get vaccinated.  Yet, you don't seem willing to allow them the freedom to make their own choices about how to run their event.  Do you see the irony in that?

Posted by quarex

Wow

It must be weird to live in a world of constant violent clashes between political groups.  I have been tooling around my rural Iowa residence as surely one of the most left-wing people in town (not sure we ever had a full mask mandate here) and wearing a mask everywhere I went and I never had a single comment about it, nor of course did I ever see someone not wearing a mask accosted even when they probably should have been (for not wearing one at one of the few types of businesses that did have mask mandates).

Just saying, if we were going purely on anecdotal experiences, neither I nor anyone I know has had a single experience seeing violent behavior as a result of masks.  And yes, some people have literally been murdered over masks.  I seriously doubt the kind of person amped up to come to deadly violence over covering your nose and mouth is also a big tabletop gaming fan.

And if your real concern is as MollyMolly suspects, and you are just mad about having to wear a mask, well, my whole group is vaccinated and will be wearing masks probably anytime we are not eating or drinking.  Somehow I doubt we will be alone.  You think anyone is even going to check (or probably care) if the masked people have armbands?

Posted by papabees vulcanspock

mollymolly wrote:
boute001 wrote:
So in essence Gencon is supporting physically marking individuals who are not vaccinated and/or those that do not believe in showing physical evidence of their personal medical information. Vaccinations are a very hot topic nationwide and this is setting up a HUGE probability for confrontations and/or unneeded tensions.
will booths be allowed to not serve or talk to those without a bracelet? Will events be segregated?  
Everyone just wearing a mask would have made the con go smooth.  Now you basically invited individuals to walk around with their bracelet as a badge of morality and discriminate those without.  
good luck this year.  I do not want to be anywhere near that con, because you are creating to much risk of violence and unneeded tension for me to feel comfortable to attend.

It seems like your primary concern is that you won't be able to blend in amongst those of us who are, you know, actually solving the problem that the world faces.  Without those of us getting vaccinated, the in-person convention wouldn't be happening.  At all.You have to wear a mask and others don't.  That bothers you.  But, I think you should be grateful that they are allowing you come at all.  They didn't have to.  They could have simply required vaccines.  Make no mistake - they are assuming risk by admitting you.  We all are.
You want the freedom to make your own choice -- and not get vaccinated.  Yet, you don't seem willing to allow them the freedom to make their own choices about how to run their event.  Do you see the irony in that?
never a good idea to assume others motives. And honestly, your attitude of superiority is one of the concerns she seems to have. I mean listen to yourself... You should be grateful... Those of us actually solving the problem... C'mon. She just said she had been wearing her mask like a good soldier. You have no idea of her medical history or her situation and she said she'd be masked up yet you still belittle her. And yes it's their event but as a paying customer one has the right to offer feedback.

Posted by matthias9

I don't think the motives were assumed, they were stated.  The whole post was about being "marked".

If anyone is assuming motives, it is the person  complaining about "individuals to walk around with their bracelet as a badge of morality".  Seriously?

Why aren't you complaining about that assumption?

Posted by papabees matthias9

matthias9 wrote:
I don't think the motives were assumed, they were stated. 
If anyone is assuming motives, it is the person  complaining about "individuals to walk around with their bracelet as a badge of morality".  Seriously?
Why aren't you complaining about that assumption?
because her issue is with the guidelines of a business and a policy they put in place that segregates, not with the concern of an individual. And she was referring to her experience in similar masked/unmasked situations.
​​​​​She was not directly being condescending toward another person's legit concern. And further if you read her posts she said she wears a mask now and intended to when she came, and was then accused of being salty because her real motive was that she didn't want to have to wear one and there is no evidence that that motivates her at all. Her quote "I have no problem wearing a mask everywhere I go".

Posted by roderick

I think everyone could benefit from taking a breather; it's getting rather heated. 

The situation is fluid. There is two months between now and the con, and a lot can happen in those two months. Gen Con will keep us updated as to what the current guidelines are, but those guidelines will be changing as time goes on. 

So chill or I'll lock this thread. 

Roderick Robertson
Forum Coordinator 
Gen Con, LLC. 

Posted by papabees

Understood. Appreciate your guidance and patience.

Posted by fethbone

Yeah, I actually really want to have my question answered about outdoor events and tours......

I have made the choice to decline to provide any medical documentation to GenCon unless needed on-the-spot due to a medical emergency, so I understand that under current policy I will be required to wear a mask for (at least) all indoor events and activities where a Gencon badge is required for access. Simple as that. My feelings about it are moot as I have no power to change the policy, and it is Gencon's right to set the rules. 

If someone is wearing a mask in Gencon zones and not wearing a wristband, they are complying with the policy. There is no reason to take any action besides keeping one's thoughts to oneself. Just because someone is wearing a mask and doesn't have a wrist band doesn't mean you can make assumptions about their health choices or feelings regarding masking.

Posted by njseahawksfan

Seems like the main issue here is people projecting their opinions on other people. 

If you are harassed by anyone at Gen Con, for any reason, report it and they will take appropriate measures.  Gen Con has a clear harassment policy and they enforce it.  This includes people harassing you about what you wear (or don't wear).

Conversely, if you have thoughts about someone's appearance:  keep it to yourself.

In the words of Walt Whitman - be curious, not judgemental.

Posted by rfsullivan

So, related to these wristbands:

1) Would it be possible to get one with the ticket packet by submitting photo evidence of vaccination (plus copy of ID for verification)?
2) Will people be able to get wristbands on Wednesday?
3) Are the wristbands themselves the only verification, or is something logged on the back-end to indicate who did or didn't get one? If there is some sort of dispute (wristband slips off or gets damaged, someone who didn't have a wristband gets someone else's, etc.), is there a way to resolve it?

Posted by monkeyknifefight

With how easy it is to print a copy of a vaccine card, I am wondering how this will all play out. I'm out for this year so I'll just sit back and watch. 

Posted by alans matthias9

matthias9 wrote:
I think we'll be OK. 
Yep. Adults. 87.5% vaccinated. 
Ignore the troll (s).

Posted by joek donaldbain

donaldbain wrote:
boute001 wrote:Many people are irrational, as well as confrontational.Can you honestly say the board game community of 40,000+ strangers are not going to have any issues with the people walking around with no bracelets?  Sorry, but that’s not the experience in the world that I live in currently.
No issues?  No.  Enough to worry about and use that as the sole factor in going?  Also no. The people without the bracelets will be wearing masks or they will be ejected.  Your scenario of fights breaking out between the braceleted and the raw-wristed is not worth the worry. 

Posted by sovietprince

I had covid and the vaccine and I am just fine, they even say ppl with both have better protection

Posted by hahnarama

I was watching the local news tonight and based on what Dr Cain aka the Marion County Health Dept Director I bet we will all be wearing masks at Gen Con 

Posted by lore seeker hahnarama

hahnarama wrote:
I was watching the local news tonight and based on what Dr Cain aka the Marion County Health Dept Director I bet we will all be wearing masks at Gen Con 

A pretty safe bet, I'd say.

If that's what's necessary to make in-person Gen Con happen in 2021 though, I'm all in.

Posted by squirecam hahnarama

hahnarama wrote:
Yeah the news is reporting that all measures are being considered, including reimposing social distancing and restaurant capacity limits. That's seriously going to affect Gencon if people cannot get access to dining options. Shes practically begging Marion county residents to get vaccinated.
As for re-imposing other measures such as social distancing and capacity limits at bars and restaurants? Caine said that's definitely a possibility, but not yet - and not if more people roll up their sleeves.

https://www-wthr-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.wthr.com/amp/article/news/health/coronavirus/marion-county-indianapolis-mask-mandate-coronavirus-covid-19/531-f0af8729-f7da-40bd-b24e-5efeff454e68?amp_js_v=a6&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQKKAFQArABIIACAw%3D%3D#aoh=16275244795948&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.wthr.com%2Farticle%2Fnews%2Fhealth%2Fcoronavirus%2Fmarion-county-indianapolis-mask-mandate-coronavirus-covid-19%2F531-f0af8729-f7da-40bd-b24e-5efeff454e68

Posted by lore seeker

If capacity limits are reinstated, it probably won't just be for restaurants, it'll be for everything, including conventions. Which probably means that Gen Con Indy wouldn't happen.

I really, really hope that doesn't come to pass.

Posted by kevinrg lore seeker

father bloodlust wrote:
If capacity limits are reinstated, it probably won't just be for restaurants, it'll be for everything, including conventions. Which probably means that Gen Con Indy wouldn't happen.
I really, really hope that doesn't come to pass.

Then Gencon will probably be done.  Permanently.

I don't see 2 years missed with no revenue and coming back from that.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
1 3 5 6 7
1 3 5 6 7