June Health and Safety Update
( Locked)
2 4 5 6
2 4 5 6
Posted by ematuskey

One other reason I think GenCon made the announcement now, instead of waiting: folks still have time to cancel their tickets if the new guidelines are no longer palatable. 

For those worried about dishonesty, or "breakthrough" infection, I totally get it.  Everyone has their own level of risk tolerance, and a roomful of unmasked people, even vaccinated, is a lot to ask for many when we're still in the teeth of this thing.

However.  IMO, the whole reason we locked down was to give the scientists time to get the vaccines out so COVID could become manageable.  They've done that, and it's working: the vast majority of people getting hospitalized or dying now are the unvaccinated.  To me, that makes the risk of attending in-person Gen Con worth the risk (although I'll still probably be masked up most of the time I'm inside, because it's still safer than not doing so).  But I totally get anyone who decides the opposite and stays home! 

I also think this updated policy will put less pressure on the volunteer staff, who now only have to confront people with neither a mask or wristband, which will hopefully be a lot smaller number than those who would have defied a general mask mandate.  Maybe that's naive--I guess we'll see. 

Posted by lore seeker ematuskey

ematuskey wrote:
One other reason I think GenCon made the announcement now, instead of waiting: folks still have time to cancel their tickets if the new guidelines are no longer palatable. 
For those worried about dishonesty, or "breakthrough" infection, I totally get it.  Everyone has their own level of risk tolerance, and a roomful of unmasked people, even vaccinated, is a lot to ask for many when we're still in the teeth of this thing.
However.  IMO, the whole reason we locked down was to give the scientists time to get the vaccines out so COVID could become manageable.  They've done that, and it's working: the vast majority of people getting hospitalized or dying now are the unvaccinated.  To me, that makes the risk of attending in-person Gen Con worth the risk (although I'll still probably be masked up most of the time I'm inside, because it's still safer than not doing so).  But I totally get anyone who decides the opposite and stays home! 
I also think this updated policy will put less pressure on the volunteer staff, who now only have to confront people with neither a mask or wristband, which will hopefully be a lot smaller number than those who would have defied a general mask mandate.  Maybe that's naive--I guess we'll see. 

Well said all around.

I think things will work out okay with the policies currently in place. I'm basing this solely on my own optimism and the incredible efforts of the Gen Con team so far, but I have a good feeling.

Posted by lore seeker

Someone brought up this question in a discord conversation, and I'm curious to know the official answer.

If you're running a game, and someone shows up with a ticket to your game, but they're not wearing a bracelet or a mask, are you allowed to turn them away?

Posted by kevinrg lore seeker

father bloodlust wrote:
Someone brought up this question in a discord conversation, and I'm curious to know the official answer.
If you're running a game, and someone shows up with a ticket to your game, but they're not wearing a bracelet or a mask, are you allowed to turn them away?

No matter the year, If someone was breaking Gencon policy, I'd just find someone else to enforce it or make the decision about enforcement (staff, EO) 

Posted by traveller kevinrg

kevinrg wrote:
father bloodlust wrote:

No matter the year, If someone was breaking Gencon policy, I'd just find someone else to enforce it or make the decision about enforcement (staff, EO) 

One advantage this year with having no independent GMs will be the ability to call over someone to adjudicate the issue for the GM.  Either EO or GC staff.  I think the important tip is to not be confrontational about it. 

In the immortal words of Dalton:  Be Nice. 

Posted by ascantla

I have my vaccine, but my wife cannot be vaccinated. What will constitute appropriate medial documentation for her to receive a bracelet? Would a signed doctors note stating that "my patient cannot be vaccinated" be enough?

Posted by austicke ascantla

ascantla wrote:I have my vaccine, but my wife cannot be vaccinated. What will constitute appropriate medial documentation for her to receive a bracelet? Would a signed doctors note stating that "my patient cannot be vaccinated" be enough?

Bracelets are for those vaccinated. She'll need to wear a mask.

Posted by papabees austicke

austicke wrote:
ascantla wrote:I have my vaccine, but my wife cannot be vaccinated. What will constitute appropriate medial documentation for her to receive a bracelet? Would a signed doctors note stating that "my patient cannot be vaccinated" be enough?

that's not what was released. They said if someone had a medical reason for not vaccinating they could get a bracelet.

Posted by austicke papabees

papabees wrote:
austicke wrote:

that's not what was released. They said if someone had a medical reason for not vaccinating they could get a bracelet.

You're right! Yikes!

Is it some sort of different bracelet or one that allows you to forgo a mask? The write up seems to imply the latter.

Why would someone who isn't vaccinated not wear a mask? Why would Gen Con give them permission to risk the health of themselves and others? Scary.

Those last two bullets are confusingly written though and seem to contradict.

https://gencon.blog/2021/07/08/june-july-health-and-safety-update/

• If you are vaccinated and prefer not to wear a mask you may present your proof of vaccination and ID at one of our health check-in stations and receive a wrist bracelet indicating that you are vaccinated. If you are wearing a valid bracelet you are not required to wear a mask at Gen Con for the duration of the convention.
  • If you have a documented medical reason that prevents you from wearing a mask or receiving a vaccination, you may present the medical documentation at a health check-in station to receive a bracelet.
  • If someone has medical reasons that keep them from both wearing a mask and receiving a vaccine, they will need to go to the Special Services desk to get their wristband. Those are the only people authorized to give out wristbands for medical exemptions.

Posted by papabees austicke

austicke wrote:
papabees wrote:
austicke wrote:

You're right! Yikes!Is it some sort of different bracelet or one that allows you to forgo a mask? The write up seems to imply the latter.
Why would someone who isn't vaccinated not wear a mask? Why would Gen Con give them permission to risk the health of themselves and others? Scary.

• If you are vaccinated and prefer not to wear a mask you may present your proof of vaccination and ID at one of our health check-in stations and receive a wrist bracelet indicating that you are vaccinated. If you are wearing a valid bracelet you are not required to wear a mask at Gen Con for the duration of the convention.
  • If you have a documented medical reason that prevents you from wearing a mask or receiving a vaccination, you may present the medical documentation at a health check-in station to receive a bracelet.
  • If someone has medical reasons that keep them from both wearing a mask and receiving a vaccine, they will need to go to the Special Services desk to get their wristband. Those are the only people authorized to give out wristbands for medical exemptions.

I know to some that seems scary but in Indiana the vaccination rate is about 47%. That includes the whole population and teens and kids arent getting vaccinated much for various reasons, so lets assume a 60ish percentage vaxxed for adults. In Indy people have been out with masks going on a month and a half now and numbers are still dropping. Not to mention doctors know how to deal with things if one does catch it. So should we be vigilant, yes. Wash your hands, give some extra space, etc. The evidence in states that have a reasonable vax rate though shows that we don't really need to be scared, just aware. I don't mean to belittle your feelings because they are legitimate but when the data is parsed out its very encouraging and will likely look much better in 70 days. 

Posted by papabees papabees

papabees wrote:
austicke wrote:
papabees wrote:
austicke wrote:

You're right! Yikes!Is it some sort of different bracelet or one that allows you to forgo a mask? The write up seems to imply the latter.

I know to some that seems scary but in Indiana the vaccination rate is about 47%. That includes the whole population and teens and kids arent getting vaccinated much for various reasons, so lets assume a 60ish percentage vaxxed for adults. When you factor in natural immunity for those that have been sick it's likely 75-80%. In Indy a significant majority of people have been out without masks going on a month and a half now and numbers are still dropping. I went to see Black Widow last night, theatre was packed and I only saw one person with a mask. Not to mention doctors know how to deal with things if one does catch it. So should we be vigilant, yes. Wash your hands, give some extra space, take zinc and Vitamin D, etc. The evidence in states that have a reasonable vax rate though shows that we don't really need to be scared, just aware. I don't mean to belittle your feelings because they are legitimate but when the data is parsed out its very encouraging and will likely look much better in 70 days. I hope you find this beneficial. 

Posted by papabees papabees

papabees wrote:
papabees wrote:
austicke wrote:
papabees wrote:
austicke wrote:

I know to some that seems scary but in Indiana the vaccination rate is about 47%. That includes the whole population and teens and kids arent getting vaccinated much for various reasons, so lets assume a 60ish percentage vaxxed for adults. When you factor in natural immunity for those that have been sick it's likely 75-80%. In Indy a significant majority of people have been out without masks going on a month and a half now and numbers are still dropping. I went to see Black Widow last night, theatre was packed and I only saw one person with a mask. Not to mention doctors know how to deal with things if one does catch it. So should we be vigilant, yes. Wash your hands, give some extra space, take zinc and Vitamin D, etc. The evidence in states that have a reasonable vax rate though shows that we don't really need to be scared, just aware. I don't mean to belittle your feelings because they are legitimate, Just the opposite. When the data is parsed out its very encouraging and will likely look much better in 70 days. I hope you find this beneficial. 

Posted by boute001

So in essence Gencon is supporting physically marking individuals who are not vaccinated and/or those that do not believe in showing physical evidence of their personal medical information. Vaccinations are a very hot topic nationwide and this is setting up a HUGE probability for confrontations and/or unneeded tensions.

will booths be allowed to not serve or talk to those without a bracelet? Will events be segregated?  

Everyone just wearing a mask would have made the con go smooth.  Now you basically invited individuals to walk around with their bracelet as a badge of morality and discriminate those without.  

good luck this year.  I do not want to be anywhere near that con, because you are creating to much risk of violence and unneeded tension for me to feel comfortable to attend.

Posted by matthias9

I think we'll be OK. 

Posted by donaldbain boute001

boute001 wrote:
So in essence Gencon is supporting physically marking individuals who are not vaccinated and/or those that do not believe in showing physical evidence of their personal medical information. Vaccinations are a very hot topic nationwide and this is setting up a HUGE probability for confrontations and/or unneeded tensions.
will booths be allowed to not serve or talk to those without a bracelet? Will events be segregated?  
Everyone just wearing a mask would have made the con go smooth.  Now you basically invited individuals to walk around with their bracelet as a badge of morality and discriminate those without.  
good luck this year.  I do not want to be anywhere near that con, because you are creating to much risk of violence and unneeded tension for me to feel comfortable to attend.

People who are vaccinated will be wearing masks as well.  I got my jabs and I'll be wearing one in the dealer hall and crowed locations.  Your first point fails.

If you don't have a bracelet, you will have a mask.  No need for "segregation".  Second and third point fails.

Everything is (or will be) laid out for mask use.  You're seeing tension where there should not be any. Fourth point fail.

Posted by boute001

I live near Madison and my best friend lives in Brooklyn. In both places, people are very confrontational and immediately get in peoples faces if they merely are not wearing their mask properly. Put those same people in a venue where individuals are wearing or not wearing a bracelet to show if they’ve been vaccinated. Do you honestly not see the problem here? That’s a shit storm I don’t wanna be anywhere near.

If they would’ve kept the policy as before with all people just wearing masks, like most other venues, there would be no reason to cause problems.

Posted by donaldbain boute001

boute001 wrote:
I live near Madison and my best friend lives in Brooklyn. In both places, people are very confrontational and immediately get in peoples faces if they merely are not wearing their mask properly. Put those same people in a venue where individuals are wearing or not wearing a bracelet to show if they’ve been vaccinated. Do you honestly not see the problem here?
I do not.  Not everyone is from Brooklyn or Madison, for starters.  The majority of gamers I know aren't chest thumpers and don't get in each other's faces.  The Con is a controlled environment with security in place to eject and probably perma-ban trouble makers. 

Your imagining trouble where it doesn't exist and if you would be bringing a Wisconsin 'tude, it's probably better you're sitting this one out.

Posted by squirecam donaldbain

donaldbain wrote:
boute001 wrote:
I live near Madison and my best friend lives in Brooklyn. In both places, people are very confrontational and immediately get in peoples faces if they merely are not wearing their mask properly. Put those same people in a venue where individuals are wearing or not wearing a bracelet to show if they’ve been vaccinated. Do you honestly not see the problem here?
I do not.  Not everyone is from Brooklyn or Madison, for starters.  The majority of gamers I know aren't chest thumpers and don't get in each other's faces.  The Con is a controlled environment with security in place to eject and probably perma-ban trouble makers. Your imagining trouble where it doesn't exist and if you would be bringing a Wisconsin 'tude, it's probably better you're sitting this one out.

Yep. Just follow the DBAD rule. If you see someone violating policy then bring it to the attention of the proper authority. No need to get into a confrontation or shouting match.

Posted by boute001

I think you’re misunderstanding my posts. I have no problem wearing a mask everywhere I go, but I am not comfortable yet getting vaccinated. The area I live in, if people around me find out that I’m not vaccinated it’s been problematic at times.  Many people are irrational, as well as confrontational.Can you honestly say the board game community of 40,000+ strangers are not going to have any issues with the people walking around with no bracelets?  Sorry, but that’s not the experience in the world that I live in currently.

Posted by kevinrg boute001

boute001 wrote:
 Many people are irrational, as well as confrontational.Can you honestly say the board game community of 40,000+ strangers are not going to have any issues with the people walking around with no bracelets?  Sorry, but that’s not the experience in the world that I live in currently.

Long been my opinion that whatever side of the aisle you are on (GC doing too much or they are doing too little), the policy they are doing should be it.

If you are a confrontational person and believe that your thoughts are right and everyone should adhere to that and you can't live within GC's policy and feel it necessary to try to steer people towards a different policy (or create your own policy), I think this year it would be in everyone's best interest to just sit this year out.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
2 4 5 6
2 4 5 6