June Health and Safety Update
( Locked)
2 3 4 6 8
2 3 4 6 8
Posted by matthias9 qwaserity

qwaserity wrote:
I'm hoping that masks won't be required the entire time of GenCon. I grew up in a state known for its cold, its cheese and its cold. I've been in -80 windchills and -40 weather and every time I wear a mask or scarf I start to heat up. I'm sweating in 10 minutes and feeling nauseous after 20. That's the main reason I got my shots. I spent the last year grocery shopping in 15 minute bursts. That's why I couldn't go to a Christmas mass with my family. Now if GenCon was willing to turn the temperature down to about 45 degrees I could wear a mask all the time...

I am also hoping they stick to the currently announced mask rules.

At present, 50% of the hospitalizations are in just 7 states -- and they aren't even the most populous states.  They are the states with the lowest vaccination rates.  That is not a coincidence.  97-99% of the hospitalizations are of the unvaccinated.

Point being -- masks aren't going to get us out of this, vaccines are.  With these facts in mind, if Gen Con does change the rules -- the change should be to simply require vaccines to attend.  Anything else is lipstick on a pig.

Posted by squirecam

With these facts in mind, if Gen Con does change the rules -- the change should be to simply require vaccines to attend.  Anything else is lipstick on a pig

I was in favor of an all vaccinated requirement. But it's too late for that now.

The best option remaining then is requiring masks for everyone. You don't need to worry about looking for wristbands across the room. Spotting a mask is far easier. 

Posted by lore seeker

Yeah, even if the unvaccinated got their first shots immediately, they wouldn't be considered "fully vaccinated" by the time Gen Con Day 1 happens (the course takes about 6 weeks from start to finish).

Posted by brumcg

J&J is one jab plus two weeks.

Posted by lore seeker

True. It's still a minority of the vaccines administered in the US though.

Posted by grognard262

Moderna would be six weeks (28 days between shots, plus 2 weeks).
Pfizer would be five weeks (21 days between shots, plus 2 weeks).
J&J would be two weeks.

So the cutoff for Pfizer would be next Wednesday, the 11th.

Posted by matthias9

Masks now required.

I would argue this is actually counterproductive to public health in that, with the June update, people were INCENTIVIZED to get vaccinated.  Now, Gen Con has removed that incentive.  And, masks aren't solving this problem.  Vaccines are the solution.

(Plus, who wants to do a 4hr RPG in a loud room with masks.  It is often hard to hear what people are saying in the first place - even before we added the masks.  Regretting my event ticket purchases.)

Posted by hahnarama

WHY would they bury the August September health update at the bottom of an email about gencon online? I've got no interest in online Gen Con I almost deleted the email without going all the way to the end

Posted by timjs21

I'm sorry but if masks are now going to be required I'd like a complete refund for all events, 4 day badge and hotel. Please post how we go about that.
This is the most ridiculous decision that the GenCon could have made. 

Posted by hahnarama

Thx for opting out and protecting the rest of us 

Posted by egotrip115

Vaccinated people can still both get and transmit the virus. 
It's belt and suspenders. Mask to cut down on transmission, vaccine to reduce both transmission and severity.

Posted by ematuskey hahnarama

hahnarama wrote:
WHY would they bury the August September health update at the bottom of an email about gencon online? I've got no interest in online Gen Con I almost deleted the email without going all the way to the end

Agreed--they literally buried the lede!  I know they're blasting the news out on social media, but if I hadn't seen those posts first I probably would have missed the email announcement! 

Posted by hahnarama egotrip115

egotrip115 wrote:
Vaccinated people can still both get and transmit the virus. 
It's belt and suspenders. Mask to cut down on transmission, vaccine to reduce both transmission and severity.

Of course we can...that's why I was first in line in my age group to get vaccinated, and I've already upped my mask game to some N95s  for Gen Con 

Posted by grognard262

I'll still go, but I will likely bail on some of my events.  There is no way I'm going to wear a mask for fourteen hours a day, four days straight.  Eight hours is barely tolerable.

Posted by hahnarama grognard262

chaoticneutral262 wrote:
I'll still go, but I will likely bail on some of my events.  There is no way I'm going to wear a mask for fourteen hours a day, four days straight.  Eight hours is barely tolerable.
 is it gonna be uncomfortable...sure. But I'm voluntarily going to this event for fun. Try and keep this in prospective.There are people who have to wear masks all day EVERYDAY to provide for their families. I'm lucky enough to work from home and I NEVER have to return to an office. 

Posted by squirecam

As I said above, I expected this. 

I do note that they are specifically reserving the right to require vaccines in order to attend. At this point though, it's too late to mandate it. Masks are an easy purchase. The vaccine except for J&J takes weeks to protect you. And I say this as someone who wanted a vax only convention. 

Posted by lore seeker

It's not too late to mandate it.

It is too late for people to make the decision whether to start a two-dose vaccine course based on whether or not Gen Con is mandating the vaccine.

Posted by toxic_rat

I would argue that if someone has waited this long to get the vaccine, it's unlikely that attendance to a game convention is going to push them to get it.  Maybe, but I think that if you're that anti-vax, there isn't much that going to change your mind.

Posted by hahnarama

If the incentive to finally get a lifesaving vaccination is the chance to go to Gen Con....

Posted by lore seeker toxic_rat

toxic_rat wrote:
I would argue that if someone has waited this long to get the vaccine, it's unlikely that attendance to a game convention is going to push them to get it.  Maybe, but I think that if you're that anti-vax, there isn't much that going to change your mind.

Yeah, you're probably right.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
2 3 4 6 8
2 3 4 6 8