Dining options in 2021
Posted by ematuskey

Ooo, I'm intrigued by Clustertruck!  I do love the food trucks, I just hate not having anywhere to sit while I eat.  :p 

Posted by andrewj.rager

I just caught up on this and am so sad that Burger Study closed. It was literally the best burger and we always looked forward to that.. Our favorite dinning option is now gone too. Dang.

Posted by sepayne7

Old thread, but I'll contribute -
The wife and I love Loughmiller's just north of the ICC, between the Westin and Marriott. 

Has anyone tried Tammy's International Pizza that's right next door to Loughmiller's? 

Posted by ematuskey

Looks like a new bar (Goodwood brewpub) is opening up in the Ram's old space!  They seem a little more pricey/upscale than the Ram, so I may not eat there every day like I used to, but I'm looking forward to trying out their burgers. 

Posted by lore seeker ematuskey

ematuskey wrote:
Looks like a new bar (Goodwood brewpub) is opening up in the Ram's old space!  They seem a little more pricey/upscale than the Ram, so I may not eat there every day like I used to, but I'm looking forward to trying out their burgers. 

Sounds like similar food to The Ram (burgers, etc.), judging by your post. I think I'll try it out!

Posted by ematuskey lore seeker

father bloodlust wrote:Sounds like similar food to The Ram (burgers, etc.), judging by your post. I think I'll try it out!

Considering the location, I bet they get a lot of traffic from people who won't even notice at first that it's a /different/ "bar with burgers" establishment.  :D 

Posted by fethbone sepayne7

sepayne7 wrote:
Old thread, but I'll contribute -
The wife and I love Loughmiller's just north of the ICC, between the Westin and Marriott. 
Has anyone tried Tammy's International Pizza that's right next door to Loughmiller's? 

Have not tried Tammy's but I can also vouch for Loughmiller's. Not sure why it doesn't get mentioned more. 

As far as pub food, looks like Taxman Brewery (near The Alexander hotel) is now open, and I saw another place down past Arby's/Subway called Ellison Brewery that I don't remember seeing last year. It also looks like that place on S. Meridian and Georgia that seems to turn over a lot is now occupied by a pub called The District.

I also saw there appears to be a ramen shop next to 5 Guys on E. Washington...was that there in 2019?

I always seem to end up at PF Changs at least once or twice, so I'm glad the downtown Indy location looks like it's still there.

 

Posted by keithbradburn kar8a

kar8a wrote:
Thanks for both (Sushi Bowl and north side of the university) suggestions - we will be downtown and have a vehicle, so we can make that work:)...and I just realized we are much closer since we'll be at the Residence:)...
If you have a vehicle might I suggest Siam Square in Fountain Square.  There are still several restaurants there that are open. 
Siam Square

The are still lots of restaurants along Massachusetts Ave.  My favorite sushi place is there, 45 Degrees. 
 

Posted by quarex ematuskey

ematuskey wrote:
father bloodlust wrote:Sounds like similar food to The Ram (burgers, etc.), judging by your post. I think I'll try it out!

Considering the location, I bet they get a lot of traffic from people who won't even notice at first that it's a /different/ "bar with burgers" establishment.  :D 
Considering the ability of some gamers to be fairly oblivious, and I absolutely could see myself being this bad, I would not be surprised if someone got through an entire meal there without noticing the Ram was no more.  I can envision myself looking at my phone as I walk in, being seated, making a comment about how much the menu had changed without actually noticing the name on the menu had also changed, et cetera... though if there is no gaming theme that might actually have tipped me off too, haha.  "Wait, why did Privateer Press stop sponsoring the Ram?  Wait a minute... WHERE ARE WE?"

Posted by stormcrow2112 malfakter

malfakter wrote:
My favorite downtown restaurant, Bosphorous, is still open.  As are Shapiro's, Iaria's and some of the more expensive restaurants (Capitol Grill and Hyde Park, etc.).  I know another new restaurant just opened up Super Bowl weekend.  I believe there are more coming.  I know some of the big employers downtown, like Salesforce, are letting their employees work from home until at least August.  I'm sure other employers are doing that, too, which really hurts restaurants that rely on the lunch crowd.
Covid had a lot to do with businesses closing up shop.  I know several business owners downtown.  The art gallery that closed was owned by a family that goes to my church.  It got destroyed during the riots.  Some art pieces were just destroyed inside the gallery, and they found other pieces dropped along the sidewalk down the block.  The family decided that they didn't have confidence in the current mayor to keep their business safe, and after the riots, they didn't feel safe enough to take their kids to their own art gallery any more.  So they closed the business.  The Five Guys right next door got destroyed, too.  The owner of Dick's Bodacious BBQ said that he was struggling with Covid, but after the riots occurred, he too lost faith in the mayor.  He said that it was too costly to pay premium rates for a downtown location to not have confidence in the mayor's ability to protect his business or employees.  So he decided to close the restaurant and is planning on opening a new restaurant outside of Marion County.  Many business owners cited the one-two punch of the riots and Covid as reasons for closing up.  Hopefully, Covid numbers continue to drop and there will not be any more riots.  It's sad to see what downtown became last year.
On the bright side, things are getting better downtown.  It's getting safer, new businesses are moving in.  I'm hoping it looks better as more people get vaccinated and return to working downtown.
+1 for Bosphorous. I moved away from Indy about 10 years ago and this has been a favorite place of mine and always try to hit it whenever I'm able to come back to visit family/friends. Glad to know that it's still open.

Posted by nbrubaker

Just wanting to note here and I'll try to post a bit more if I can later on - I don't think the RedLine system was installed during the last GenCon.  That will get you into fountain square and up north to SoBro and Broadripple fairly easily.  Also, there is a new complex at the east end of Mass Ave called the Bottleworks - there are a number of good places to eat there: https://www.visitindy.com/indianapolis-the-garage-at-bottleworks   I'll keep looking for additions since the last GenCon, but there is also a downtown Giordano's that may not have been open last time.  Their deep dish pizza requires a wait so be forewarned, but they do have a menu of other quick options too.

Posted by lore seeker

Giordano's has been around since at least 2017, I think. Very good place, I agree. It's open for dine-in service too, according to Google.

Posted by helenbb

At Gen Con 2019, we placed an online order with Giordano's for 4:30 pm on Sunday. Perfect timing, and we were able to feast back at our hotel!

Posted by quarex

Giordano's is probably the only restaurant (I mean if you do not count fast food) that was part of Milwaukee Gen-Con culture that is also available in Indianapolis, so I love going there for that fact (well and the fact that it is tasty).

Though on that subject, I will always laugh thinking of my friend who attended in 1997 coming back five years later largely from the memory of loving our dinner at Giordano's and wanting to repeat it before the convention moved, only to discover that location had closed like two weeks before Gen-Con 2002.

Posted by lore seeker

Kind of a related question: does anybody know of any good convenience stores near the downtown hotels? Apparently my go-to store for years (the CVS at 175 N Illinois St) has permanently closed down after sustaining damage during last year's riots, so I have to find another one within walking distance for chips, pop, etc.

Posted by hahnarama

if you are interested in checking out Bottleworks, I highly recommend it, it's probably easier to buy the $4 round trip event ticket the GenCon has in the system. I think it leaves the convention center every half hour up until midnight. 

it will drop you off at moonshot games And if you go to the store and tell The Chubby Meeple aka Mark the store mgr that I sent you you'll get 10% off all your purchases.... okay that last part might be a lie but Mark is good people as they say

Posted by hahnarama

I think the next closest CVS or anywhere that's snack place" is over a mile if not 2 miles away.

I think your best bet would probably be using Prime Now what you check into the hotel

Posted by keithbradburn lore seeker

father bloodlust wrote:
Kind of a related question: does anybody know of any good convenience stores near the downtown hotels? Apparently my go-to store for years (the CVS at 175 N Illinois St) has permanently closed down after sustaining damage during last year's riots, so I have to find another one within walking distance for chips, pop, etc.

There is a Krogers downtown.
227 W Michigan St, Indianapolis, IN 46204

Posted by lore seeker keithbradburn

keithbradburn wrote:
father bloodlust wrote:
Kind of a related question: does anybody know of any good convenience stores near the downtown hotels? Apparently my go-to store for years (the CVS at 175 N Illinois St) has permanently closed down after sustaining damage during last year's riots, so I have to find another one within walking distance for chips, pop, etc.

There is a Krogers downtown.
227 W Michigan St, Indianapolis, IN 46204

Thanks! Just a 10 minute walk away from my hotel, according to Google Maps.

Posted by xanathon

Is Sauce on the Side still open in downtown Indy and where is the Buffalo Wild Wings?

Sign in to write a new post. New Post
1 3 5