Auction/Consignment store for 2022
1 3 4 5
1 3 4 5
Posted by volkovoy2

I was wondering if the auction and/or consignment store will be back at Gencon 2022. I haven't seen any info on it one way or the other yet, but that doesn't mean I haven't missed anything. They used to be among my favorite parts of the show, so I'll be excited if I can partake in them again this year.

Posted by austicke

It will be back.

Posted by quarex

That is news to me, but it certainly sounds like it is leaning towards being back (betting against Alec is usually a losing proposition though, so I guess I should accept his answer)

Posted by austicke

If you want the gorey details, the auction organizers said they intend to return but not all details have yet been worked out. Gen Con said, "I do fully expect it to happen this year."

Posted by volkovoy2

I'm excited to hear that they're planning on returning! I'll make sure to keep an eye out for the announcements and info about them. Thanks for the fast response!

Posted by rmgreen

Glad to hear that!  Over the last few years prior to the bug, the consignment shop was the most popular spot at GENCON for me.  That makes my day!

Posted by dotificus

Yay!! When I first heard about the auction, I thought it sounded kinda interesting but maybe dull. I was SO wrong. Definitely one of the fun things at Gen Con. 

Posted by quarex

I always enjoy telling the story about how I got into the Auction initially for that very reason.  I am not sure if it was 1997 or 2002 (the only Milwaukee years I went to), but my older friend who had been attending for years beforehand said "hey we should look in on the Auction, some of the stuff they sell is hilarious."  So we popped in just as they were doing a run of horse-racing boardgames.  "Steeplechase, 1974 edition, who'll give me $5... no interest at $5.  O.K., Steeplechase, 1971 edition, who'll give me $3... we have interest at $3... O.K., Steeplechase, 1981 edition" and I came away thinking this is the most boring thing in the entire world, I LOVE IT 

But at that point, the interest was purely ironic.

Then I walked past the room again at like Gen-Con 2004 I think and thought I would just sit in there for a bit while I went through the stuff I had bought in the Exhibit Hall.  Lo and behold, suddenly something actually interesting to me was selling, and for a reasonable price, and I did not have a bidder card.  Well, you know how this goes, then suddenly I got a bidder card and thought "I might as well just pop in once in a while now that I can actually bid on things"

By 2005 my friends knew if they could not find me I was definitely sitting in the Auction room for hours at a time.  I had won the victory over myself.  I loved the Auction.

Posted by scarab_beetle

I, too, can spend hours at the auction.  Even if I am not purchasing something I am learning the history of gaming as the auctioneers have so much information to impart about the items they are selling.  That may be boring to some, but I find it fascinating.

N.

Posted by jimmythesaint

Same here - I've learned a ton about gaming via the auction. The description that gets me is when they hold something up and say "if you know what this is, then you know what this is" and bidding goes nuts for reasons I cannot fathom. 

Not to mention the experience that is Tova.

Posted by volkovoy2 jimmythesaint

jimmythesaint wrote:

Tova is the hidden gem of Gencon. Not only is there some great (and weird) stuff in there, I love the spectacle that the auction staff make it. Some of my greatest Gencon memories are from Tova. =)

Posted by quarex jimmythesaint

jimmythesaint wrote:
Same here - I've learned a ton about gaming via the auction. The description that gets me is when they hold something up and say "if you know what this is, then you know what this is" and bidding goes nuts for reasons I cannot fathom. 
Haha.  Those are always great.  I think the first time that happened was when they were selling a copy of the Dune board game (well, before there was a new Dune board game about ~6 years ago or whatever).  I was like "oh hey, that would be cool to play, I will throw $20 at ... what do you mean it starts at $150?  And it is already at $200?  WHAT IS THIS GAME"

Also T.O.V.A. is ultimately what got me volunteering all those years ago, in the hopes that I would one day be able to share the stage with Josh during it.  Truly he is a Gen-Con Treasure(tm)

Posted by lore seeker

What's TOVA?

Posted by austicke lore seeker

Toys, Oddities, Videos and Artwork.

Posted by jimmythesaint

TOVA is the last part of the auction before the charity auction. It covers all the weird not-quite-game stuff, but as Quarex mentioned, it's really the auctioneers who make this special. Josh in particular is hilarious. 

Posted by lore seeker

I don't think I've ever been in the consignment store during the TOVA part, but it sounds interesting.

Posted by del_grande

I knew there was a reason I should have made plans to stay for the Sunday...to be fair, it's been a few years since I've been to a GC auction, but do they still do the really collectible stuff (especially the CCGs) on Sunday, so the CCG dealers can get a chance to bid on them?

Posted by cptmusket del_grande

The last day for the auction has been Saturday.  Sunday is pay-outs, so no auction or store that day.

del_grande wrote:
I knew there was a reason I should have made plans to stay for the Sunday...to be fair, it's been a few years since I've been to a GC auction, but do they still do the really collectible stuff (especially the CCGs) on Sunday, so the CCG dealers can get a chance to bid on them?

Posted by quarex

Yeah I do not remember exactly when it changed, but I think something like 2010 was the last year they still did any auctioneering on Sunday morning.

The most valuable stuff goes up for auction Thursday and especially Friday night after about 8 P.M., then Saturday evening is generally the aforementioned T.O.V.A. leading into the big Charity Auction (occasionally with a quick run of excess unsold stuff between the two) until ... well, I remember I was still on stage past 1 A.M. in 2019, but I do not think we made it to 2.

Posted by kevinrg

2006 should have been the last Sunday.    There were a number of years where Saturday went deep into the night (2-3AM), but 06' should have been the last Sunday.

livegameauctions has the past year auctions (sales by hours) so, looked there to confirm it.   Looks like it went until 3PM.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
1 3 4 5
1 3 4 5