Auction/Consignment store for 2022
3 4 5 7
3 4 5 7
Posted by rsroy74 rsroy74

Posted by kevinrg rsroy74

rsroy74 wrote:
Will an auction catalog be available to view prior to the start of Gen Con after registration has closed?

Doubtful unless they've changed something, historically there has never been one available.

Posted by kevinrg quarex

quarex wrote:I assume there are not huge numbers of people waiting to register their store items until the store deadline, but I guess what do I know?  

I entered a couple more things in the store last night.  From the last item I entered late 7/18 until now, there were roughly 2200 items added, so.. many people were probably getting auction stuff out of the way and focusing on that first.   If the trend continues, that means around 10K items for the auction/store which is about a 30% drop (which lines up roughly with percent drop in events and probably overall attendance..)

Posted by quarex kevinrg

kevinrg wrote:
rsroy74 wrote:
Will an auction catalog be available to view prior to the start of Gen Con after registration has closed?

Doubtful unless they've changed something, historically there has never been one available.
Yeah there is no way there would ever be a catalog, since they do not even release a breakdown of the items sold after the fact.  The best improvement this year is that they actually have a few section time starts listed already on the main page (could have sworn they had one up for Thursday before, but oh well):

Friday: 8:00pm-midnight: Collectables / rare items
Saturday: 7:00pm-midnight: Charity Auction

Posted by kevinrg quarex

They always put a spreadsheet out that lists all the details after the auction.  Seller id, buyer id, item, when sold, how much, etc.

Posted by quarex

How have I been attending for 15+ years and volunteering for 10 and never looked at this spreadsheet

I do remember seeing a list of the top like 50 things sold in a year, I wonder if someone just took the spreadsheet and made that and sent it to me and I never thought about it

Now I actually do have no idea why they do not release the spreadsheet publicly beforehand.  Actually it may be related to the "should we allow proxy bidding" argument; I am sure requests for proxy bidding would explode if such a list were available

Posted by del_grande quarex

quarex wrote:Now I actually do have no idea why they do not release the spreadsheet publicly beforehand.  Actually it may be related to the "should we allow proxy bidding" argument; I am sure requests for proxy bidding would explode if such a list were available

I assumed it was because it wouldn't be of that much use, since they have no way of knowing in advance in what order the items would be sold. Usually, it's just, somebody grabs a pile of games, puts it on the main table, and the auctioneer is handed one of the games on the multiple piles already on the table and asks for bids on it.

Posted by ndgeekboy del_grande

del_grande wrote:
quarex wrote:Now I actually do have no idea why they do not release the spreadsheet publicly beforehand.  Actually it may be related to the "should we allow proxy bidding" argument; I am sure requests for proxy bidding would explode if such a list were available

I assumed it was because it wouldn't be of that much use, since they have no way of knowing in advance in what order the items would be sold. Usually, it's just, somebody grabs a pile of games, puts it on the main table, and the auctioneer is handed one of the games on the multiple piles already on the table and asks for bids on it.

I'm guessing that they can't be 100% certain what's going to show up for the auction and the store. People do forget things.

Posted by kevinrg

Proxy bids for everything for everyone/everywhere would be a colossal nightmare.

Releasing the list beforehand, while nice, would just have a slew of endless questions.   "Did this come up?" "Can you bring this up?"  "When is this coming up"  "Where is this item in the store?"   "Did you sell this item in the store" etc.   Even if you could 100% remove all the questions, other than an interesting data dump, not much use for it beyond that.

Putting everything out on the tables that is coming out in the 2-3 hour window is a fairly good preview of what is coming up and they've never had an issue with moving things up if there was 1 thing out of the 200 on the table one was interested in.   That is about as good as they will be able to do for "previews"

Posted by kevinrg

Actually packed/taped/labeled everything I want to take to Gencon.   6 days ahead of time for once in my life.

Posted by quarex

Nice work!  I had a vision of packing my trunk with just Auction stuff by mid-July, but then I realized my lack of printer was going to mean I forgot to get the labels printed until...well...here I am now, still having not done it.  Any day now, surely

Posted by yombleflobber

I still need to write my three little flash fiction stories and seal them under my labels! I was going to just use a typewriter to type it on the labels themselves, but punctuation marks always seem to poke through the printer paper in such a way that never seems to happen with onionskin paper.

Posted by jerrytel

Tentative Schedule posted on the Live Games Auction site.

Posted by jimmythesaint jerrytel

jerrytel wrote:
Tentative Schedule posted on the Live Games Auction site.

Thanks for this, much appreciated.

Posted by gryfalia

Yeah, I need to get some final items ready for the store, but at least the early date for the Auction items forced me to get those ready way ahead of time.  And by 'ready' I mean at least I have the sheets printed out...

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
3 4 5 7
3 4 5 7