Auction/Consignment store for 2022
2 3 4 6
2 3 4 6
Posted by kevinrg

I think the final nail to remove onsite registration was I thought someone brought in a ton of new old stock items from a warehouse that they registered on site and it just threw everything off massively as to where they were needing to do auctions like 'High bid takes as many items from the table that you want' and then bid again on the pile.

As for late registration, I made sure to get my auction items in, but I've been slow on the store stuff since I know I have time and was more focused on auction stuff at this time.  I assume I'm probably not unique in that regards so, I'd still expect a decent amount of store registered stuff in the last week still.

Edit:  Nope.. guess I was wrong.  That dump was in 2011.  (I remembered a few of the titles that they had large #'s of and looked it up and found that it was then).  Time flies...

Posted by wells

Some of my auction items are now approved, most still "pending". So, that was pretty fast!

Posted by wells

Aaaand: Now they all switched back to pending.

Posted by ndgeekboy wells

wells wrote:
Aaaand: Now they all switched back to pending.

What a tease...

Posted by narzat

Anyone know what they plan to do if we already printed our auction item tag for an item that got switched back to 'pending'?  I guess it may not matter if they ultimately get approved.

Posted by wells

Check your auction items, mine are all approved and ready to print.

Posted by kevinrg

Out of caution, I'm just waiting until 7/20 to print labels since that was the day they were to have that piece all done.

Anyone have anything rejected?  Curious as to what things they might have rejected.

Posted by quarex

I did.  Almost all my T.O.V.A. stuff was rejected.  Not exactly a surprise when the vibe was "raising the bar for quality items" I suppose.

Posted by wells

No rejections, but wasn't expecting any. I only put in rarer stuff.

Posted by ndgeekboy

No rejections (yet) but a couple things were "Store Recommended." Still have 5-10 things pending.

Posted by kevinrg ndgeekboy

ndgeekboy wrote:
No rejections (yet) but a couple things were "Store Recommended." Still have 5-10 things pending.

Were the store recommended ones rejected or I wonder if this is just a middle step for someone else to have final say.  

Posted by quarex

Store recommended does not seem like an intermediary step, I think it is just genuinely saying "might not get much bidding interest but it is clearly worth listing," or at least out of my ~160 items I got nothing between "accepted" and "rejected"

Posted by ndgeekboy

What's throwing me off a bit is that I have five of the same thing listed for the auction; three of them are Store Recommended and two Accepted for auction. To me, that seems like it could make some folks upset. I mean, say, if you bought the two things at auction for $5 each but saw the same things in the store at $2 each, wouldn't that irritate you? It's making me think that I'll just put all five into the store, just to head off such a situation.

ndgeekboy wrote:I mean, say, if you bought the two things at auction for $5 each but saw the same things in the store at $2 each, wouldn't that irritate you? It's making me think that I'll just put all five into the store, just to head off such a situation.

Nope.  Part of the fun (for me at least).  Can't tell you how many times I've dropped bidding on something because I saw a few copies in the store at X price so, just went to the consignment store to buy it (or vice versa, bought it in the store and then it goes for more at auction)

The 3 'store recommended' makes sense now.  I think the auction is trying to protect you in a way in that, if you have a set price in mind that you'd be happy with, put some in the store so they are available throughout the con.   Otherwise, by the time TOVA hits, the auction/store is pretty much done and you might not sell any if there are no interested parties present.   Plus, the more dups you have, the more people you need that are interested in the item(s) to 'have an auction' (so to speak).   If you have 5 items and only 3 interested parties at the TOVA auction, you'll only sell 3.  So, in this case, I'd probably agree with 'store recommended' on at least 1/2 of the items.

Hope that made sense.

Posted by ndgeekboy

Yeah, I guess it does. Sorta makes me wish I had put two or three sets of the Star Wars posters into the auction instead of all of them into the store. Oh well. Live and learn.

Posted by quarex

Oh no.  They should definitely have gone into the live auction section.  I must have done a terrible job if I did not tell you they would absolutely inspire enthusiastic bidding.  Alas.  They will surely sell in the store, though, too

Posted by ndgeekboy

No worries. It's like my rationale earlier: I didn't want people getting P.O.ed thinking they got ripped off by putting three or four sets in the auction then finding a dozen sets a lot cheaper in the store. So it's my bad really.

ndgeekboy wrote:
No worries. It's like my rationale earlier: I didn't want people getting P.O.ed thinking they got ripped off by putting three or four sets in the auction then finding a dozen sets a lot cheaper in the store. So it's my bad really.

Only time I've heard people grump is just on aggressively priced/overpriced items where everyone knows it is over priced because there are 20 of the item that are on the shelf for 50% of what that one is marked at...

Posted by quarex

Yeah, or when you can look over and see 20 copies of Risk in the Consignment Store and someone's "rare" copy of Monopoly comes up with like a $50 reserve in the live auction.  You rarely get a spontaneous chuckle out of the audience based on the audacity of your asking price, but I have definitely heard a few in situations like that, haha.

Posted by rsroy74

Will an auction catalog be available to view prior to the start of Gen Con after registration has closed?

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
2 3 4 6
2 3 4 6