Housing for 2017 - 50th Anniversary
1 3 5 6 7
1 3 5 6 7
Posted by sarena

I got one at the Embassy too, I had been stalking all the hotel websites every day since Gen Con ended this year. I couldn't go this year so I was determined that next year was going to happen right. That being said, I'm pretty sure La Quinta downtown has rooms available still at a good price.

Posted by sarena

Additionally, I wouldn't fret *quite* yet if you haven't grabbed an out of block room. Anything associated with Marriott isn't open for Gen Con dates yet so if you check every day in the next week or so you might grab a room right when they open up. 

Posted by bigfathairyguy ellis1138

ellis1138 wrote:
I'm not sure how people got these rooms. I also went through the Embassy website, through HHonors, but there weren't any available. What time of day did people snag these?
I booked mine right when I posted so around 7:45am Est. As others have said don't fret if you didn't get these ones more and more will open up. You just have to keep checking all the time. 

Posted by braewe

I grabbed mine also when this was posted. SO happy to have this. SO. I wonder how many folks snagged rooms? I wonder how in trouble whoever it is at Embassy that allowed these to go up is in? Because they are losing money on this.

Posted by ranior

I too was able to grab a room about and hour or two after the original poster notified people of the deal. I am super happy that I did get one, and I hope the rest of people who missed out will have luck with some other hotels opening up in the coming weeks.

Once again, a bit thanks to the person who first posted the deal. You've already made my next gencon super awesome.

And this might seem like a dumb question, but given this past year was only my first year, and I planned it only about a month in advanced, I had no chance to get a downtown room. Now that I did this year, I'm happy, but I'm unaware of how much of a savings this was compared to usual prices for downtown. So roughly what is the nightly rate for gencon dates at these downtown hotels?

Posted by braewe

Somewhere around about $200. I think Embassy was $235 this year? Rack rates are generally around $350 so this is a HUGE GINORMOUS savings. I was literally dancing around the hourse after the email confirmation arrived. DANCING.

<edit> Here is the 2016 list...http://www.gencon.com/attend/hotelmap

Posted by jimmythesaint ranior

ranior wrote:Once again, a bit thanks to the person who first posted the deal. You've already made my next gencon super awesome.

No problem. I flipped out when I saw there were rooms available, and then the prices. At 6am though, my wife and daughter did not appreciate my shouts of excitements and attempts at high-fives.

Posted by burrfoot72

Yeah.  I saw this thread and grabbed a room too.  I am not a rewards member or anything.  I just saw this, went on the site about 8:30am yesterday central time and booked it.  I have been spoiled by the JW the last 3 years but for this much of a savings I couldn't pass it up.  

Posted by ranior

Oh wow yeah....that is a huge savings too. Even more pumped that I saw this thread and got in that reservation then.

As usual awesome community here. Thanks for sharing and helping me out, and thanks for pointing me out to that list of in block room prices from last year.

Posted by hauntedcity

HUGE THANKS to the whistleblower! I was able to grab a room, but unfortunately, my friends from up north weren't monitoring their emails when I tried to alert them.  My wife and I haven't had a downtown room in years, so this is going to be amazing.

Posted by burrfoot72

How is the hotel?  I have never stayed.  I booked it for the cost and because people tend to race for it.  After I booked I looked around on sites and of course everything is negative because people who have positive experiences generally don't post.  Lot of photos and reviews talking about the hotel being old and tired.  Not really worried about it  but just curious about people "I know" on the forums thoughts as opposed to randoms on travel sites.  

Posted by ha9667

If you are talking about the Embassy it is not bad. I've stayed at the Hyatt, Embassy, Crowne Plaza, and Hilton. Biggest problem with the Embassy is the elevator situation. At peak times it can take 10-15 minutes to get an elevator down. The rooms are great especially if a group is going. The only one better for groups is the Hilton as the rooms are huge, but it is a longer walk. 

Posted by burrfoot72 ha9667

ha9667 wrote:
If you are talking about the Embassy it is not bad. I've stayed at the Hyatt, Embassy, Crowne Plaza, and Hilton. Biggest problem with the Embassy is the elevator situation. At peak times it can take 10-15 minutes to get an elevator down. The rooms are great especially if a group is going. The only one better for groups is the Hilton as the rooms are huge, but it is a longer walk. 
Thanks....yeah I was asking about the Embassy.....should have made that more clear.

Posted by divachelle burrfoot72

burrfoot72 wrote:
How is the hotel?  I have never stayed.  I booked it for the cost and because people tend to race for it.  After I booked I looked around on sites and of course everything is negative because people who have positive experiences generally don't post.  Lot of photos and reviews talking about the hotel being old and tired.  Not really worried about it  but just curious about people "I know" on the forums thoughts as opposed to randoms on travel sites.  
It's actually pretty great, but it depends what your needs/wants are in a hotel.

The hotel is older, and definitely in need of a facelift, but the staff have been simply lovely and very friendly, the buffet breakfast is HUGE with lots of variety, and the omelette station rocks.  The manager's reception always had the free drinkies and munchies, which is nice for taking a break to decompress a little without going into a crowded bar.

This year, they were working on behind the scenes upgrades to the heating and cooling systems, but the front-facing areas will be upgraded, hopefully, by next year.

The rooms we've had have always been very clean and the AC has worked just fine. The beds have been very comfy. Free wifi for Hhonors members.

This will be our 3rd year at the Embassy, and we love the location.  It's close without being right on top of the convention center.

The only complaint I have is the handicapped accessibility; it is truly awful (the dumbwaiter handicapped elevator is a joke - cramped and rickety. We use the service elevator, which stinks like garbage, but works just fine). But we've found some workarounds, so we're all good. We need to be downtown, due to my mobility scooter and lack of viable transportation that accommodates that. Also a factor is the level of energy available and being able to go back to the room easily and safely by myself is really necessary.

No valet parking, which is ok bc you're not paying too much ($22/night) of an inflated price like at the JW ($45/night). 

Win some, lose some. This, overall, is a win for the features we want in a GenCon hotel.

Posted by ha9667

I thought Embassy was fine. Never spend much time in the room anyway. I think you get breakfast there as well. Biggest thing is the elevator. If you are on a lower floor it is often better to catch one going up and ride the whole time than wait for one going down.

Posted by angelhelly

I was reading the review on TripAdvisor and the director of sales was saying they were starting renovations at the embassy suites downtown for the guestrooms.. anybody has an idea on the timeframe?

Posted by burrfoot72 ha9667

ha9667 wrote:
I thought Embassy was fine. Never spend much time in the room anyway. I think you get breakfast there as well. Biggest thing is the elevator. If you are on a lower floor it is often better to catch one going up and ride the whole time than wait for one going down.
Good point......it kind of is like Las Vegas...sleep, shower and then I'm never in the room again except maybe to drop things off and regroup for 5 minutes.

Posted by ha9667 burrfoot72

burrfoot72 wrote:
ha9667 wrote:
Good point......it kind of is like Las Vegas...sleep, shower and then I'm never in the room again except maybe to drop things off and regroup for 5 minutes.
Absolutely, and you can't beat the price for downtown if you managed to snag one of those rooms. We've always stayed downtown and I try to get a reservation like this ahead of time just in case we miss housing block. Got stuck two years ago when they started the new housing format (we could not get a block room downton) and had to pay out the nose to stay at Hilton. This room makes up for it!!

Posted by boc_mage

Truly love the embassy especially for groups but it's starting to show its age. That said the room and comfort is worth it. Biggest for a lot of us is the excellent hotel breakfast, lots of options and made to order omelets is kick ass. 

That said the walk to far ends of complex (stadium particularly) can be a drag to be honest. I was to the point of not wanting to make the walk mid way through con. 

Overall the embassy is awesome for groups and more importantly for lot of us is the fact that it's comfortable and familiar year after year.

Posted by aaronmlopez

This may be a dumb question, but as one who has never stayed at a downtown hotel, do you have to pay for your parking in addition to the hotel room??? 

I have been using parking panda for downtown parking.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
1 3 5 6 7
1 3 5 6 7