Housing for 2017 - 50th Anniversary
2 3 4 6 8
2 3 4 6 8
Posted by monkeyknifefight

So much for that. This makes my choice easy for Origins. I was going to book with the Hampton. Going back to the Hyatt now. I won't book another room with a Hilton property unless there are no other reasonable options.

Posted by burrfoot72

Yep.  I just saw the cancellation in my e-mail.  I'm not surprised really.  Oh well....back to the lottery.....I always end up making it work out regardless even if I have to sit and watch the housing website every day for a couple of months. 

Posted by bith burrfoot72

burrfoot72 wrote:
Yep.  I just saw the cancellation in my e-mail.  I'm not surprised really.  Oh well....back to the lottery.....I always end up making it work out regardless even if I have to sit and watch the housing website every day for a couple of months. 
I'm actually a bit surprised.  But, only because they waited 9 days to do it.  If it was a true mistake, and not just a "we can charge more" business decision, I would have expected it to be corrected within a day or two.  Not 9 days later.

Regardless, the Conrad still has rooms up [i think] so alternative options exist.

Posted by mavrick593

When I checked the Conrad just now (after seeing your post burrfoot) I checked for 1 adult, general search for Aug 17-20, 2017 and came up with nothing. Just fyi to everyone

Posted by bith divachelle

divachelle wrote:
When I called the Embassy after booking, I was told by someone in the Sales Department that the rooms not held back in the block were released early in error and that they were now (then?) completely booked, but would be honoring the reservations made even though they screwed up.
I get that there was an error, but DO NOT lie to me. That's a load of stinking, steaming crap, and I will be passing along my not-inconsiderable ire ASAP. 

Total long shot, but you didn't happen to get that in an e-mail or a recording did you? 

Posted by mmchaney

I had just called the Embassy suites, and although they were very nice, I was told that they "COULD" cancel all the reservations by the Hilton Legal Crew when the found it was due to a computer error, and when I mentioned that we were told they would honor the reservation, he stated "I don't know what to tell you, that's why there is the fine print at the bottom about cancellations due to computer error." Ultimately got nowhere with that one. Worth a shot though.

Posted by aldctjoc mavrick593

mavrick593 wrote:
When I checked the Conrad just now (after seeing your post burrfoot) I checked for 1 adult, general search for Aug 17-20, 2017 and came up with nothing. Just fyi to everyone

Try Hotels.com and Booking.com; the first is where I made my reservation. 

Edit: ... although now that I think about it, my confirmation form is from Hotels.com, not the Conrad itself. I wonder if that signifies anything?... 

Posted by mamabarry

I had one room booked through Embassy directly and one booked through booking.com.  I got the cancellation email from Embassy today, but it still appears that my reservation with booking.com is still active.

Posted by dgjedi

Yeah, got my cancellation as well.  I saw the fine print in their cancellation policy right away and wondered if they would invoke it.  Most times they won't, but I guess they got backed into a corner on this one.  Bad public relations in general, but I still bet they will be one of the first to sell out in the lottery.

Posted by apparentlymarylee dynamite_chair

dynamite_chair wrote:
apparentlymarylee wrote:
This will be my first GenCon, I'm just booking an airbnb apartment for the week. Booking.com and Expedia are showing the city like 96% booked at this point and I don't to drop 2k on 5 nights (as posh as it would be..)
I'm interested in the notion of simply "just" booking an AirBnB for the week; do you have one booked already?
I can't believe that's going to be easy either.

My experience is that the inventory on AirBnB is just as slim AND much more expensive because they're not constrained by rack rates like a hotel.
Last year we had two different bad experiences with GenCon AirBnB's where we "instant booked" but then for whatever reason (probably money) the owners pulled the property and cancelled our reservations. My guess is that folks hit them up with an offer of more $$$.

I have booked an apartment already. $1200 for a week on Mass Ave. (because this is also a belated honeymoon). From what I've seen most AirBnBs are around $100-150 a night. That's for entire apartments though, I didn't search for single rooms or shared situations since we're staying in town for so long I wanted a more private vacation feel. There were some studio apartments in that area for $80-100 a night. I'm also super Type A and I don't like the idea of waiting for a lottery and then scrambling when I don't get it. That makes me all kinds of nervous.
Hmm, I hope they don't cancel on us! We'll be sleeping in the car!

Posted by grizzly73

I booked through hotels.com, but I haven't received any cancellation email (yet). I did call ES to confirm my reservation after I made it and  have both conf. #s from hotels.com and ES. I don't need to shake a magic 8 ball to know the outlook is not so good....

Posted by technoir mamabarry

mamabarry wrote:
I had one room booked through Embassy directly and one booked through booking.com.  I got the cancellation email from Embassy today, but it still appears that my reservation with booking.com is still active.
Those are usually good, because they go for higher rates. 
ALSO I think because of the company. They are willing to screw a few people but to screw an entire booking site that will no longer book for you? That may be an issue for them moneywise 

Posted by ultron87

*tightly holds Booking.com reservations and nervously glances around*

Posted by ranior

Well got my cancellation email from Embassy as well. Thought that the deal was too good to be true...

Super crappy that they can get away with doing this, but really nothing I can do but call and complain, and it seems like that hasn't gotten anyone anywhere.

I guess I just will go back to hoping the housing lottery works out and be prepared to pay significantly more than what I just thought I was getting.

Still seems crazy to me that it took them 9 days to decide to go this route though. If it was really a computer error....I dunno. I would expect they could have responded to it much faster than this. Alas. Good luck to those who still have reservations through Booking.com and good luck to everyone else for finding other rooms. I'll be searching with you.

Posted by aldctjoc ultron87

ultron87 wrote:
*tightly holds Booking.com reservations and nervously glances around*

You won't have that protected fully until you've curled up in the fetal position around it, facing a corner. :D ;)

Posted by squirecam

Interesting.

My booking using Hilton Honors points at the Conrad was NOT cancelled. I wonder if the cancellations were just from the Embassy only?

Posted by ssoulfly

SLEEP INN & SUITES AND CONFERENCE CENTER DOWNTOWN

It's about 2mi away from convention center, but they do have shuttles.  They are accepting reservations.  I have mine Wed-Sun booked as a good option if I cant get one that is a couple blocks away from the conv center.  Its not on any of the searches, go directly to their site.

Posted by knuteski

I stayed at the Sleep Inn a few years ago and it's actually a great alternative to the downtown hotels.  There's a free shuttle that runs downtown and because it's a straight shot and the closest "non-downtown" hotel, it takes basically the same amount of time as it would to walk from the non-connected downtown hotels.  They'll give you a card with a number to call when you're ready to be picked up from the con and then he'll pick you up right at the convention center.  It only runs like 7am to 10pm or something but there's always Uber/Lyft as a backup and it's super cheap since it's just a straight shot up Indiana Ave.  Combined with the free parking makes it quite affordable.

I too booked a reservation there as a backup.

Posted by angelhelly

For those that REALLY want to stay at the JW, rooms are available to book at $659 a night, non refundable.... member discount bring it down to $646..... it was like 2976.48 when everything is said and done. *shake head* that is insane....

Posted by soulcatcher78 angelhelly

angelhelly wrote:
For those that REALLY want to stay at the JW, rooms are available to book at $659 a night, non refundable.... member discount bring it down to $646..... it was like 2976.48 when everything is said and done. *shake head* that is insane....
Lol, I'm feeling much better about my Westin price now.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
2 3 4 6 8
2 3 4 6 8