Housing for 2017 - 50th Anniversary
1 2 4 6 7 8
1 2 4 6 7 8
Posted by austicke aaronmlopez

aaronmlopez wrote:This may be a dumb question, but as one who has never stayed at a downtown hotel, do you have to pay for your parking in addition to the hotel room??? 

Yes. I'm not aware of any connected hotel that includes parking.

Posted by angelhelly aaronmlopez

aaronmlopez wrote:
This may be a dumb question, but as one who has never stayed at a downtown hotel, do you have to pay for your parking in addition to the hotel room??? 
I have been using parking panda for downtown parking.
parking is $22 a night extra

Posted by britbrit

Parking wise, I used the Gate ten this year and it was so convenient. $60 for five days of parking then a shuttle that takes you to your hotel. 

$60 sure beats the extra $100+ for parking. 

Posted by aaronmlopez

@austicke, angelhelly, britbrit: Thanks for the replies. 

Parking Panda wasn't too bad seeing as it was split 4 ways this year so it came out to $36/person and the place we stayed was also split (came out to $250/person for the entire stay of Wed - Sat).

Posted by braewe

The really great thing about Embassy, which I have not seen anywhere else, is that there is a closable DOOR between the bedroom and the living room so that the stay-up-late-and-talk folks can do just that without disturbing the sleep-early-8am-game-and-still-want-breakfast folks. Plus with Embassy you can very comfortably sleep six to a double double. 

Yes, it is showing its age, yes, it's faster to just walk outside instead of using the hamster tube, yes, the far ends of the convention can be a bit of a hike, but it is still very much easy walking distance, there are a ton of eating places nearby, it has a decent pool area, and best of all? The rooms are within clicking range of /three/ pokestops! *ahem* okay the last was slightly tongue in cheek, but...we like it very much. We're bringing a banner to hang from the balcony next year!

Posted by jhs

The embassy may be a bit dated, but it is my first choice without doubt because of the two separate rooms.  They also have a nice breakfast, and the breakfast/bar area became a really fun gaming place (with a bar!) at night, though that was a few years ago so not sure if that still is the case.  Anyone who got a room because of this should be very grateful.  I am!

Posted by technoir

Anyone had any luck booking anywhere lately?

Posted by grtbrt

The thing to remember regarding Valet parking at Hotels is that they have the option of not charging you for it. In the lst 3 years I have not paid for Valet at the Hilton properties - Over the time staying there I chateed with the front desk manager and asked if ,as a Hilton Honors member, they cold do anything about the valet parking rates . The response was always " let me take a look " or words to that effect . Lo and behold no charges . I made sure that I had  tipped the valet well before that  conversation.
Just a suggestion . It likely  does depend on whether the property operates the Valet or subcontract it out . and what level of HH you are
Remember -The answer is always no if you dont ask

Posted by grizzly73 grizzly73

joe.fonk wrote:
I can't believe I got a king suite at Embassy Suites! This will be my ninth Gen Con and the first to be able to stay downtown. I know others expect to stay downtown (and can get beligerent if the room lottery doesn't go their way), for me this is an extra treat-hamster tubes-Woohoo!
So I booked on Hotels.com and got a 1 King Executive Suite (according Embassy Suites website has a 1 king bedroom, 2 separate baths, a bar, kitchenette and dining area-pretty sweet right?) I called Embassy (went through the automated prompts) and found I did have a king room, but did not say what kind of room. After finding my way through to a live person, they said they cannot say what kind of room I got when I booked through Hotels.com. The fact I actually have an "attached" room is amazing to me but I have growing fears...

I am coming in Thursday morning- going to the ICC, then heading to the hotel at check in time (probably a good idea to head there early). Hearing that Embassy overbooks has me scared that the hotel might fill up with Wednesday-nighters and when I go to check in it will be tough luck chuck and I am left scrambling. Someone put my mind at ease please!

Posted by boc_mage grizzly73

joe.fonk wrote:
joe.fonk wrote:
I can't believe I got a king suite at Embassy Suites! This will be my ninth Gen Con and the first to be able to stay downtown. I know others expect to stay downtown (and can get beligerent if the room lottery doesn't go their way), for me this is an extra treat-hamster tubes-Woohoo!
So I booked on Hotels.com and got a 1 King Executive Suite (according Embassy Suites website has a 1 king bedroom, 2 separate baths, a bar, kitchenette and dining area-pretty sweet right?) I called Embassy (went through the automated prompts) and found I did have a king room, but did not say what kind of room. After finding my way through to a live person, they said they cannot say what kind of room I got when I booked through Hotels.com. The fact I actually have an "attached" room is amazing to me but I have growing fears...I am coming in Thursday morning- going to the ICC, then heading to the hotel at check in time (probably a good idea to head there early). Hearing that Embassy overbooks has me scared that the hotel might fill up with Wednesday-nighters and when I go to check in it will be tough luck chuck and I am left scrambling. Someone put my mind at ease please!

I got that same response, i managed to snag the direct reservation afterwards alright. Based on reviews and other thoughts hotels.com scares me a little to be honest. At least you know you have a reservation in the embassy's system.

Posted by braewe

Even the regular king rooms aren't bad though...two room suite, fold out sofa, table, microwave, kitchenette. Only one bathroom though. Still.

Posted by sarena technoir

khadorstrong wrote:
Anyone had any luck booking anywhere lately?

There's rooms at the Westin and the Hyatt available, but they're pretty expensive $400-something a night. The Marriott-family of hotels hasn't become bookable yet - looks like another week before they're reservable if they have any inventory. 

Posted by grizzly73 braewe

braewe wrote:
Even the regular king rooms aren't bad though...two room suite, fold out sofa, table, microwave, kitchenette. Only one bathroom though. Still.
don't get me wrong, I am not complaining, I am thankful for whatever I get, it's in my nature to have everything planned. 

Posted by mavrick593

Have the downtown Mariott hotels opened up for booking? I see that on the Mariott website you can select the dates for Gen Con 2017, but the downtown hotels don't show availability. Did I already miss the rush or are those exempted for now? Anyone have any idea?

Posted by aldctjoc

*Sigh* Missed out on the super inexpensive Embassy Suites rush (what, something like $138/night before they locked the dates down). Westin's got rooms open on their website, but they're not cancellable, and I'm not going to risk 2 grand on a non-refundable room (tried calling directly to see if I could swing anything, but I got nowhere). Bit the bullet and reserved a cancellable stay at the Conrad for $438/night. At least I've got my backup in place, and it's not a bad backup at that. Expensive - like, ZOMG level expensive - but from what I've heard it's a damn nice hotel. 

Time to see how the Gen Con block lottery works out. Here's to hoping! 

Posted by monkeyknifefight aldctjoc

aldctjoc wrote:
*Sigh* Missed out on the super inexpensive Embassy Suites rush (what, something like $138/night before they locked the dates down). Westin's got rooms open on their website, but they're not cancellable, and I'm not going to risk 2 grand on a non-refundable room (tried calling directly to see if I could swing anything, but I got nowhere). Bit the bullet and reserved a cancellable stay at the Conrad for $438/night. At least I've got my backup in place, and it's not a bad backup at that. Expensive - like, ZOMG level expensive - but from what I've heard it's a damn nice hotel. 
To be fair $138 was only for single occupancy. It was $178 or $188 for quad occupancy. Still a $42 savings per night over the block.

Posted by timhogue

How big of sticklers are they at the Embassy Suites regarding occupancy? We are a group of 4, but I have always booked single occupancy when booking hotel rooms for Gen con. Does the occupancy just come into play for the free breakfast?

Posted by bigfathairyguy monkeyknifefight

monkeyknifefight wrote:
aldctjoc wrote:
To be fair $138 was only for single occupancy. It was $178 or $188 for quad occupancy. Still a $42 savings per night over the block.
I booked my room at the embassy with 4 in it for $139 a night. Not sure where you got those numbers.

Posted by runescience

i tried to book embassy downtown is full.
can one of you send me the link to another local hotel not full?

Posted by divachelle bigfathairyguy

franknbeans wrote:
monkeyknifefight wrote:
aldctjoc wrote:
I booked my room at the embassy with 4 in it for $139 a night. Not sure where you got those numbers.
Mine was for double occupancy in a king suite room. I'm paying $134.83 per night plus taxes for 4 nights and $125.10 per night plus taxes for 2 nights.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
1 2 4 6 7 8
1 2 4 6 7 8