What time did you get?
1 3 5 6 7
1 3 5 6 7
Posted by mixmaster

Bought my badge Friday about 6:00pm EST

Posted by marzulloj lore seeker

father bloodlust wrote:
I'm curious - when did you guys buy your badges on Friday? I bought mine right at noon and I got 3 hours, 40 minutes wait time. I'm curious to see if there's any correlation between how soon one bought badges and how long of a wait time you have.
And yes, I know GenCon's party line that it's totally random, so don't bother bringing it up.
I don't think there is. We bought badges on 2 accounts last night around 10 and got 1:15 and 2:05

Posted by vectorlit catsclaw

catsclaw wrote:
Nobody in my group of 8 got higher than 2 hours. This happened last year, as well. Love the new system, since after a run of 8 straight years staying in a connected hotel everyone I know now gets fucked.
Same with us. We got totally and absolutely screwed.

Posted by parody

Bought mine Saturday, got ~45 minutes.  Another group member bought his on Friday and got 3 hours+.

Posted by shaydeewil

What I'm seeing is a lot of people reporting very similar, if not the same, wait times as last year. Mine is 3:18 which is VERY similar to what we got last year. Same with my hubby. 

This really makes me question the randomness of the time assignments. 

Posted by jconnolly

1hr 40min for me... better than last year, but probably not good enough

Posted by patellis15

30 minute wait, bought my badge around 4:30 EST...  Keeping my fingers crossed for the hoel we want in downtown!

Posted by ericranderson catsclaw

catsclaw wrote:
Nobody in my group of 8 got higher than 2 hours. This happened last year, as well. Love the new system, since after a run of 8 straight years staying in a connected hotel everyone I know now gets fucked.

My experience as well! My group of four had 9 years of always getting a good hotel and often even getting into the Embassy. Now it's been two years in a row of getting screwed out of any rooms at all.

Posted by trace_sl

done and confirmed -- Hyatt Regency Indianapolis

Posted by helenbb

Good for you, Trace! What else was left when you were in there?

Posted by jmulkewich

Bought my badge early this morning, got the first in line, reservation made 4 nights at the embassy suites double/double, life is good =)

Posted by rjcurrie lore seeker

father bloodlust wrote:
I'm curious - when did you guys buy your badges on Friday? I bought mine right at noon and I got 3 hours, 40 minutes wait time. I'm curious to see if there's any correlation between how soon one bought badges and how long of a wait time you have.
And yes, I know GenCon's party line that it's totally random, so don't bother bringing it up.

I bought my badge around 12:30 on Friday and got 11 minutes as my hotel time. 

Posted by urohawk lore seeker

father bloodlust wrote:
A guy in our group bought today at the open of the housing portal and got 1:30 so I think it is random.  Next years strategy may just be to buy 5-10 badges and see what hotel lottery time we get and then just cancel them.  Each one will cost 10 bucks but I can already tell that we will have to uber/park so if I bought 10 registration badges and just paid the admin fee we would still save money.

Posted by arosenwald

Last year: 3 hours and change
This year: 12 minutes

Random numbers are random, and you have tens of thousands of people getting queued up. I bought my badge on Friday evening, after the rush, so I doubt there's a correlation there.

Sorry to those who aren't going to get a connected hotel, but this is the new normal. Improvise, adapt and overcome.

Posted by lore seeker rjcurrie

rjcurrie wrote:
father bloodlust wrote:

I bought my badge around 12:30 on Friday and got 11 minutes as my hotel time. 

Thanks for the reply (as well as everyone else participating in my little data gathering experiment here).

Figures - any time something relies entirely on luck, I draw the short straw. That's why I got out of 40K.

Posted by tusic shaydeewil

shaydeewil wrote:
What I'm seeing is a lot of people reporting very similar, if not the same, wait times as last year. Mine is 3:18 which is VERY similar to what we got last year. Same with my hubby. 
This really makes me question the randomness of the time assignments. 

Last year I had a time that was 2+ hours and this year I had 10 minutes.

Last year a buddy of mine had a time that was 45 minutes and this year is was 2.5 hours.

It's random.

Posted by dchayet helenbb

helenbb wrote:
robbo wrote:
helenbb wrote:
I got 3 hours 30 minutes, but my husband got 30 minutes! Just hoping there will still be downtown rooms by then...
I'm still getting a message saying that they will assing a time. 

Refresh the page!!!!
I got this message for quite a while as well.  Finally refreshed the page and a time showed up.  Seems the system doesn't exactly work the way it's supposed to.

Posted by dballing urohawk

urohawk wrote:Next years strategy may just be to buy 5-10 badges and see what hotel lottery time we get and then just cancel them.  Each one will cost 10 bucks but I can already tell that we will have to uber/park so if I bought 10 registration badges and just paid the admin fee we would still save money.

As a point of reference, you do that one year and they will almost certainly eliminate badge-refunds for everyone altogether.

While I sympathize with the sentiment, and applaud the "Game Theory" aspect of your idea, I'm just anticipating the "escalation effect" it will cause, and it screws not just yourself, but everyone else going forward.

Posted by lore seeker urohawk

urohawk wrote:
father bloodlust wrote:
A guy in our group bought today at the open of the housing portal and got 1:30 so I think it is random.  Next years strategy may just be to buy 5-10 badges and see what hotel lottery time we get and then just cancel them.  Each one will cost 10 bucks but I can already tell that we will have to uber/park so if I bought 10 registration badges and just paid the admin fee we would still save money.

Sounds like a nice idea, but I have a feeling they'll do something to plug that loophole before next year.

Posted by helenbb

Okay... 30 seconds for me... I'll report back when I'm done...

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
1 3 5 6 7