What time did you get?
1 2 3 5 7 8 9
1 2 3 5 7 8 9
Posted by shaydeewil tusic

jeffrey_48 wrote:
shaydeewil wrote:
What I'm seeing is a lot of people reporting very similar, if not the same, wait times as last year. Mine is 3:18 which is VERY similar to what we got last year. Same with my hubby. 
This really makes me question the randomness of the time assignments. 

Last year I had a time that was 2+ hours and this year I had 10 minutes.Last year a buddy of mine had a time that was 45 minutes and this year is was 2.5 hours.
It's random.
I hear what you're saying. I suppose it's just really bad luck that all three of us got 3+ hours two years in a row. What can you do?

Posted by trace_sl helenbb

helenbb wrote:
Good for you, Trace! What else was left when you were in there?
there were a lot but I got in quick 15 min after it opened

Posted by urohawk lore seeker

father bloodlust wrote:
urohawk wrote:
father bloodlust wrote:
I'm curious - when did you guys buy your badges on Friday? I bought mine right at noon and I got 3 hours, 40 minutes wait time. I'm curious to see if there's any correlation between how soon one bought badges and how long of a wait time you have.
And yes, I know GenCon's party line that it's totally random, so don't bother bringing it up.
A guy in our group bought today at the open of the housing portal and got 1:30 so I think it is random.  Next years strategy may just be to buy 5-10 badges and see what hotel lottery time we get and then just cancel them.  Each one will cost 10 bucks but I can already tell that we will have to uber/park so if I bought 10 registration badges and just paid the admin fee we would still save money.

Sounds like a nice idea, but I have a feeling they'll do something to plug that loophole before next year.
I haven't heard of anyone actually doing it.  Our real strategy may be to stop going to Gen Con altogether.  We want to play together since it's an old group spread all over the country.  If hotels are this much of a pain and then there isn't enough play sessions I question why I am going.  We may just take our money and go to a different con.  Gencon is becoming a pop culture con not the "best X days in gaming".

Posted by droopymccool49

Connected downtown is gone, at least for doubles.

Posted by ender4232

I just got a 2 bed unit in the Omni.

Posted by lore seeker

I don't care about connected really - I just want downtown, period.

Posted by helenbb sugoiben

From the Housing info page:Badge purchasers are allowed to book one hotel room for every 1-2 badges purchased.

• 1-2 badges = 1 room
  • 3-4 badges = 2 rooms
  • 5-6 badges = 3 rooms

And short of making badges non-refundable, I dunno if there is a good way to prevent the other "hack".

They could increase the refund fee to 50% (approximately $50). Then it's still worthwhile to refund if you can't go, but it's not worth paying that much extra for dummy accounts to get extra hotel lottery time.

Posted by emynst01

bought my badge at 11:55am this morning (5 minute before housing starts).   Got a 50 minute wait time

All the connecting hotels to the convention center had rooms available as of 12:55pm.

Posted by dballing urohawk

urohawk wrote:
Gencon is becoming a pop culture con not the "best X days in gaming".

This is the best summation of things that I can recall in a long time. 

I understand the inclusive nature, the desire to be a "big tent" and embrace the myriad tangential subcultures, but at some point you have to start triaging what you keep and what goes, based on customer experience, space constraints, etc., etc.  OR, alternatively, you take the SDCC route and you almost rejoice in your success and exclusivity, to the point where sitcoms dedicate episodes about how hard an event you are to actually attend. (Which BBT did for SDCC).  

I wish that Gen Con would do the former, but it appears to be taking the route of the latter.

Posted by holder of dreams

First try, was a refresh and a 503 error. Now it was a 1 hour and 13 minutes wait * with 21 mins to go now* Last year, it was 4 or 5 days before I got a place.

Posted by daveculp

Glad I had a backup hotel!!! 

I got the Embasy for 8 days at $199/night with hot breakfast and in room wifi.  I wasnt going to be able to beat that deal but wanted to see what was available via the lottery! 

Posted by truelink

I got 2:38, but one of my bunkmates got 0:30, so we got the room we wanted. :)

Posted by jolt

I'm irritated that it doesn't matter what time you log into the housing system.  I was ready to go right at noon and have an almost 3 hour wait.  A friend logged in 5 mintes ago and has a 15 minute wait.

Posted by pezhead53 jolt

jolt wrote:
I'm irritated that it doesn't matter what time you log into the housing system.  I was ready to go right at noon and have an almost 3 hour wait.  A friend logged in 5 mintes ago and has a 15 minute wait.
I thought they were supposed to go to the end of the line if they weren't here at noon.

Posted by urohawk dballing

dballing wrote:
urohawk wrote:

This is the best summation of things that I can recall in a long time. I understand the inclusive nature, the desire to be a "big tent" and embrace the myriad tangential subcultures, but at some point you have to start triaging what you keep and what goes, based on customer experience, space constraints, etc., etc.  OR, alternatively, you take the SDCC route and you almost rejoice in your success and exclusivity, to the point where sitcoms dedicate episodes about how hard an event you are to actually attend. (Which BBT did for SDCC).  
I wish that Gen Con would do the former, but it appears to be taking the route of the latter.
Unfortunately, I don't think Gen Con cares.  They sell tickets and get their money regardless of who shows.

Posted by sugoiben jolt

jolt wrote:
Same here. That is frustrating, and questionable about the touted "fairness". I think it's more a scheme to not pressure everyone into refreshing like crazy at noon, and thus crashing the system for everyone.

Posted by urohawk pezhead53

pezhead53 wrote:
jolt wrote:
I thought they were supposed to go to the end of the line if they weren't here at noon.
No it's random.  Last year the problem was they went to the front of the line which is fixed.

Posted by mgabriel

There are still downtown hotels left, including JW and Conrad.  Conrad only has kings, can't speak for JW

Posted by del_grande pezhead53

pezhead53 wrote:
jolt wrote:

No - that's if they don't have a badge at noon.  At noon, everybody who already has a badge is assigned a time; I am guessing that they assume that everybody who buys a badge in January does so pretty much just to get access to the housing portal.

Posted by dballing urohawk

urohawk wrote:
dballing wrote:
urohawk wrote:

This is the best summation of things that I can recall in a long time. I understand the inclusive nature, the desire to be a "big tent" and embrace the myriad tangential subcultures, but at some point you have to start triaging what you keep and what goes, based on customer experience, space constraints, etc., etc.  OR, alternatively, you take the SDCC route and you almost rejoice in your success and exclusivity, to the point where sitcoms dedicate episodes about how hard an event you are to actually attend. (Which BBT did for SDCC).  
Unfortunately, I don't think Gen Con cares.  They sell tickets and get their money regardless of who shows.

True, and I don't blame them for it. I mean, they're a business and they gotta make money. 

I've toyed with trying out Origins, but that's sort of a topic for a different thread....

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
1 2 3 5 7 8 9