What time did you get?
1 2 4 6 7 8
1 2 4 6 7 8
Posted by slicer11x

At 15 minutes the double double embassy suites were gone but there were still king suites available. Everything else was still available. I had around 10 minutes last year and the embassy double doubles were gone. My guess is there are very few of those rooms in the housing block, most are probably in the VIG block or reserved for gm's and volunteers. 

Posted by sir roran9

just finished ours at 30 mins. JW was still available downtown, as well as some others

Posted by catsclaw lore seeker

They didn't plug it for this year, why would they plug it for next year?

I can guarentee there are people abusing the loophole right now.

Posted by slicer11x

At 15 minutes the double double embassy suites were gone but there were still king suites available. Everything else was still available. I had around 10 minutes last year and the embassy double doubles were gone. My guess is there are very few of those rooms in the housing block, most are probably in the VIG block or reserved for gm's and volunteers. 

Posted by dballing catsclaw

catsclaw wrote:
They didn't plug it for this year, why would they plug it for next year?I can guarentee there are people abusing the loophole right now.

They also didn't brag about how they would do it next year, advertising it for others as an option.

Posted by marimaccadmin catsclaw

catsclaw wrote:
They didn't plug it for this year, why would they plug it for next year?I can guarentee there are people abusing the loophole right now.

No, that was fixed.

Posted by feebert

My wife and I bought our badges around 10-11pm friday night (eastern).  I got 15 minutes and she got 2:45.  We were maybe thinking that the customer number of our account had something to do with it (just speculating since we only know our own numbers)  Mine is in the middle triple digits and hers is over 2000.  Other than that, based on our evidence, we cannot find a pattern.  Last year I got about 45 minutes and she got over 2:30.

Anyway, we got our king room at the Westin.

Good luck everyone!!!

Posted by marimaccadmin feebert

feebert wrote:
My wife and I bought our badges around 10-11pm friday night (eastern).  I got 15 minutes and she got 2:45.  We were maybe thinking that the customer number of our account had something to do with it (just speculating since we only know our own numbers)  Mine is in the middle triple digits and hers is over 2000.  Other than that, based on our evidence, we cannot find a pattern.  Last year I got about 45 minutes and she got over 2:30.
Good luck everyone!!!
there is no pattern, it is ompletely random.

Posted by verridian

3 of us had badges this year, we got 2 hours 30 mins, 9 minutes, and instant access so we where lucky.  We got our first choice so thats great.  Last year we where all 2 hours plus, got shut out of downtown and ended up not going.    Feeling really good right now can't wait for GenCon 2016

Posted by lore seeker feebert

feebert wrote:
Good luck everyone!!!

As far as customer number goes, I've got one with five digits in it (wait time this year: 3 hour, 40 minutes), if that helps.

Posted by rjcurrie shaydeewil

shaydeewil wrote:
What I'm seeing is a lot of people reporting very similar, if not the same, wait times as last year. Mine is 3:18 which is VERY similar to what we got last year. Same with my hubby. 
This really makes me question the randomness of the time assignments. 

Mine was I think 1:30 last year and I still got the Westin for Wed-Sat Nights (leaving Sunday).  As I mentioned earlier, I got 11 minutes this year.

Posted by helenbb

The Westin was there when we seacrhed, but taken out from under us by the time we tried to check out.

We got the Omni instead. Omni is still there, Le Meridien is there for 2 people. 

Also, Conrad, Hilton Garden Inn, Home2Suites and Sheraton.

Posted by johnewil

My group has 1:08, 2pm, 2:55, and 3:20 times (not current countdown, actual time). Hoping to still sneak in to downtown at 1:08. They were gone about 1:20 last year with the line cut issue, so "you're telling there's a chance!"

1:08 bought badge Friday night, 3:20 bought badge Sat afternoon, other 2 bought badge Saturday evening. There is some more data for you, but the randomness of it shows IMO.

Posted by del_grande marimaccadmin

marimaccadmin wrote:
catsclaw wrote:
No, that was fixed.
Are you talking about the same "loophole"?  I know the "buy your badge after the housing portal opens and you get put at the front of the line immediately" glitch was fixed, but this thread is talking about the "buy multiple badges to get multiple times, then get all but one of them refunded later" loophole.

Even if they do "fix" it, there's no way to prevent a group of family members/friends from doing the same thing, although there might be a limit as to how many rooms any particular person can get at once.

Posted by verridian

some downtown are still left at this point

Posted by feebert

I only made mention of ID number because a lot of people were talking about how the times were handed out and that was not mentioned.  After thinking about it I should have not even mentioned it.

I do think that it is completely random and here is why:

1) They said it was random.  If we are not willing to trust what they say, why the hell would we give them our money to attend the convention?
2) It is SO much easier to code a straight random process than to take into account variables such as when you bought your badge, how long you have attended, ID number, etc. 
3) If it is NOT random and PROOF got out, it would be devastating to attendance.  Trust would be lost and attendance would drop.

As to the times that I got, I can only chalk it up to karma or luck.

Posted by marimaccadmin del_grande

del_grande wrote:
marimaccadmin wrote:
catsclaw wrote:
No, that was fixed.
Are you talking about the same "loophole"?  I know the "buy your badge after the housing portal opens and you get put at the front of the line immediately" glitch was fixed, but this thread is talking about the "buy multiple badges to get multiple times, then get all but one of them refunded later" loophole.Even if they do "fix" it, there's no way to prevent a group of family members/friends from doing the same thing, although there might be a limit as to how many rooms any particular person can get at once.

That's not a glitch.  Everyone who buys a badge can get a room.

Posted by bergec

Just booked a king at Hyatt Regency. Crown Plaza was also still available, that I noticed.

Posted by sugoiben del_grande

del_grande wrote:
marimaccadmin wrote:
catsclaw wrote:
No, that was fixed.
Are you talking about the same "loophole"?  I know the "buy your badge after the housing portal opens and you get put at the front of the line immediately" glitch was fixed, but this thread is talking about the "buy multiple badges to get multiple times, then get all but one of them refunded later" loophole.Even if they do "fix" it, there's no way to prevent a group of family members/friends from doing the same thing, although there might be a limit as to how many rooms any particular person can get at once.
From the Housing info page:

Badge purchasers are allowed to book one hotel room for every 1-2 badges purchased.

• 1-2 badges = 1 room
  • 3-4 badges = 2 rooms
  • 5-6 badges = 3 rooms

And short of making badges non-refundable, I dunno if there is a good way to prevent the other "hack".

Posted by dballing marimaccadmin

marimaccadmin wrote:
del_grande wrote:
marimaccadmin wrote:
catsclaw wrote:
No, that was fixed.

That's not a glitch.  Everyone who buys a badge can get a room.

If I understand it, he's referring to a policy (from last year, seemingly) of refunding badges for folks who did poorly in the hotel draw (for example, folks who for whatever reason cannot attend if they don't stay downtown), charging only what amounts to a $10.00 "restocking fee".

So the theory is to game the system: buy LOTS of badges, keep the one that gets a good hotel lottery draw, and refund the others, on the principle that if you buy, say, 10 of them, that $90 in refund fees is cheaper than uber/cabs/parking/etc.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
1 2 4 6 7 8