What time did you get?
3 4 5 7 9 10 11
3 4 5 7 9 10 11
Posted by cass.christopher dballing

dballing wrote:
fjpicone wrote:
How do people get out of block? I tried a few years ago but the hotels wouldn't even consider it?

Vulturing the hotel sites between 13-11 months before Gen Con, waiting to see if rooms become available in the automated reservation system with the hotel before the local hotel management locks out the majority of the hotel for Gen Con's use. 
yep, I made a reservation for the crowne plaza last August before they blacked out their dates. Knowing how my luck usually goes.

Posted by bootylactin

If I put in Guests: 1, I get some downtown hotels to return.  Guests: 2, I get none.  This is of course for the standard stay of Wed - Sun.

Posted by rayken rayken

the evil lord rayken wrote:
father bloodlust wrote:
the evil lord rayken wrote:
bootylactin wrote:
Downtown hotels are gone now. 
All of them?!

Well, they went after about an hour last year, and that was with that "cutting in line" exploit. So not too surprising.

That's weird, because on Reddit they said 10 minutes ago a ton were still open. I'm not going to believe anything I hear on here, maybe people are trying to get people to leave.

Posted by jolt

That's dumb.  It makes it impossible to plan.  If every badge is a random number then I could've received it the moment I bought the badge.  Then at least I would have known ahead of time that I needed to look outside the GenCon system.  Making people wait until the last minute to learn that you're screwed seems quite arbitrary and malicious.

Posted by droopymccool49

There appears to still be several downtown hotels still available, but only for 2 guests or less.

Posted by del_grande jolt

jolt wrote:
pezhead53 wrote:
jolt wrote:
I'm irritated that it doesn't matter what time you log into the housing system.  I was ready to go right at noon and have an almost 3 hour wait.  A friend logged in 5 mintes ago and has a 15 minute wait.
I thought they were supposed to go to the end of the line if they weren't here at noon.

That's what I thought too but it's definitely not happening.  What the hell's going to be available after 3 hours? That's like saying, "Thanks for buying our $90 badge but don't bother coming."

If you're going to require everybody to log in at noon or else be moved to the end of the line, then that's going to result in a gigantic crush at noon that most likely would cause the servers to fill.  What happens when somebody tries to log in, only to get "Server full...Server full...Server full...Sorry, but you logged in too late and your time has been moved from 12:15 to 3:00"?

Wasn't this the problem in 2014 (the portal opened for everybody at the same time, and it became a de facto lottery as to who could get a connection to the server before the downtown rooms sold out) that led to the random times being assigned in 2015 in the first place?

Posted by cjwynes

I got screwed like a lot of you, and won't get a downtown hotel.

Can I just not buy anything and check every day for cancellations? Or do I have to buy *something* and get on that "wait list" somebody mentioned?  I had a backup already booked down in Southport, but I'm on the fence whether I actually want to bother going if I have to commute again, it's such a bad experience, I was screaming and cursing all weekend over parking.

Posted by tommyburke

Just got thru from 60m countdown.  Double/doubles downtown are all gone.  There are still some king rooms depending on your dates.

Posted by elwayfan2k droopymccool49

droopymccool49 wrote:
There appears to still be several downtown hotels still available, but only for 2 guests or less.

Lolz "2 guests or less"

Posted by cass.christopher jolt

jolt wrote:
That's dumb.  It makes it impossible to plan.  If every badge is a random number then I could've received it the moment I bought the badge.  Then at least I would have known ahead of time that I needed to look outside the GenCon system.  Making people wait until the last minute to learn that you're screwed seems quite arbitrary and malicious.
I hardly feel sevens months to plan is last minute 

Posted by dansomeone

This thread so far: "There are no more downtown rooms, except there are plenty of downtown rooms."

Posted by duhtroll

I got one of the last connected rooms downtown I think - JW marriott just  at 12:12PM CT

Posted by marimaccadmin

Just checked, there are still rooms available.

Posted by bsims315

I am staring at the housing portal right now. There are rooms at the JW MArriott and the Hilton available. 

Posted by ace

The wait time I got is a million hours. A million. Thanks Gen Con!

When are they going to set up a convienent round the clock shuttle service that runs every 10-15 minutes to make hotels outside of downtown practical? I wouldn't mind staying outside of downtown if there was an easy, fast, reliable way to get between the hotel and the con at any time.

Posted by jolt del_grande

del_grande wrote:
jolt wrote:
pezhead53 wrote:
jolt wrote:
I'm irritated that it doesn't matter what time you log into the housing system.  I was ready to go right at noon and have an almost 3 hour wait.  A friend logged in 5 mintes ago and has a 15 minute wait.
I thought they were supposed to go to the end of the line if they weren't here at noon.

That's what I thought too but it's definitely not happening.  What the hell's going to be available after 3 hours? That's like saying, "Thanks for buying our $90 badge but don't bother coming."

If you're going to require everybody to log in at noon or else be moved to the end of the line, then that's going to result in a gigantic crush at noon that most likely would cause the servers to fill.  What happens when somebody tries to log in, only to get "Server full...Server full...Server full...Sorry, but you logged in too late and your time has been moved from 12:15 to 3:00"?Wasn't this the problem in 2014 (the portal opened for everybody at the same time, and it became a de facto lottery as to who could get a connection to the server before the downtown rooms sold out) that led to the random times being assigned in 2015 in the first place?

Everyone has to log in at Noon anyway to find out there number.  How does this system change that?  As I aid above, if numbers are going to be completely random, then assign them when you get the badge.  That, at least, let's you plan.  The current way is just encouraging people to vulture-book the hotel rooms a year in advance which undermines the whole point of having a housing "system".

Posted by mightyllamas del_grande

del_grande wrote:
jolt wrote:
pezhead53 wrote:
jolt wrote:

If you're going to require everybody to log in at noon or else be moved to the end of the line, then that's going to result in a gigantic crush at noon that most likely would cause the servers to fill.  What happens when somebody tries to log in, only to get "Server full...Server full...Server full...Sorry, but you logged in too late and your time has been moved from 12:15 to 3:00"?Wasn't this the problem in 2014 (the portal opened for everybody at the same time, and it became a de facto lottery as to who could get a connection to the server before the downtown rooms sold out) that led to the random times being assigned in 2015 in the first place?

Yep - 2014 was a bit of a gong show that way.   This "dice roll" system is better IMHO.    Would have been even better if I had got a good roll this year, but c'est la vie.  At least I knew immediately it was time to research backups rather than having to fight with a dying website for an hour before going to the backup plan :)

have fun...

----- jim.

Posted by cass.christopher jolt

jolt wrote:
del_grande wrote:
jolt wrote:
pezhead53 wrote:
jolt wrote:

Everyone has to log in at Noon anyway to find out there number.  How does this system change that?  As I aid above, if numbers are going to be completely random, then assign them when you get the badge.  That, at least, let's you plan.  The current way is just encouraging people to vulture-book the hotel rooms a year in advance which undermines the whole point of having a housing "system".

It doesn't undermine anything, The hotels are never going to open every room to the gencon block. If your willing to book outside the block and pay more for the room you want then you should be able to like myself and many others. 

Posted by ker414

I had 1:18 minutes.  When I logged on, there were no longer any downtown hotels for 4 people.  

Posted by amaranth

Am I the only one that feels this "Q Rooms" system just plain sucks?  I have never had an issue reserving a room for Gen Con.  Now, after not going last year, this is terrible. 

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
3 4 5 7 9 10 11