Source books
Normal
Small
Posted by mdrannor

I'm signed up for a couple of RPG events.  They say materials will be provided but is it still advisable to still bring rule books like Pathfinder's Core rule book and the D&D Players Handbook, or is that an unnecessary weight?  How about scrap paper?

Normal
Small
Posted by roundtop

Gm's will have most things, but if you are bringing your own character and need supporting books beyond core , bring them.

Normal
Small
Posted by miked

Or to be sure email the gm.  every event should have an organizers email address.  that way you willnt be packing any more for the trip than you need.  and have more room to pack stuff you buy

Normal
Small
Posted by father bloodlust roundtop

roundtop wrote:
Gm's will have most things, but if you are bringing your own character and need supporting books beyond core , bring them.

Seconded.

Normal
Small
Posted by trace_sl

Learned a long time ago, to leave them at home, just dead weight.  I have only once cracked open a book at an event.  If you are running a game (event or pickup) bring what you need but you don't need much.  

Pathfinder has PDFs, so is a good example of not being needed.  

Normal
Small
Posted by rong

I would say it depends on what you are playing.

If you are playing organized play where you are bringing your own character, bring the materials if you need them to run your character. Don't be that individual that brings their 12th level wizard and then asks to borrow someone's book to look up your spells ;p

If it is a game where you are using pre-gens, then bringing the material shouldn't be necessary as the GM should provide any information you need with the pre-gen. (I provide spell lists and item descriptions to my players in the pre-gen games I run as well as loaner books if desired.)

As mentioned, if in doubt or on the fence, e-mail the event organizer.

Normal
Small
Posted by bushmaster

For Pathfinder (and Starfinder) Society play, it is required to show ownership of the source materials.  It is assumed that everyone has the Core Rule Book.

This being said, what you really need if you are playing Pathfinder or Starfinder Society is a copy of the relevant rule/source for your character.  It is not the GM's responsibility to have all resources available.  It is the players.

If you are going to be playing a Pre-Gen for Pathfinder or Starfinder Society, you don't need any books.

Normal
Small
Posted by donaldbain

For Pathfinder I usually cut and paste from the PDF/SDR what I need for my character (spells, special abilities, and so forth) and print them out.  That saves weight in my pack and speeds up looking for things.

Normal
Small
Posted by father bloodlust donaldbain

donaldbain wrote:
For Pathfinder I usually cut and paste from the PDF/SDR what I need for my character (spells, special abilities, and so forth) and print them out.  That saves weight in my pack and speeds up looking for things.

Hero Lab is also wonderful for that.

Normal
Small
Posted by stahlnee

If you have to bring a character (PFS, AL, etc.) then you need to bring copies of your source material. The GM will bring copies of any and all source material needed to run the game.

If the GM provides the characters then it is expected that the GM will bring copies of any and all source materials needed to run the game.

Normal
Small
Posted by bushmaster father bloodlust

father bloodlust wrote:
donaldbain wrote:For Pathfinder I usually cut and paste from the PDF/SDR what I need for my character (spells, special abilities, and so forth) and print them out.  That saves weight in my pack and speeds up looking for things.

Hero Lab is also wonderful for that.
That is fine but still be prepared to show ownership of the source if requested.  And Hero Lab is not a legal source for Pathfinder Society play.

Normal
Small
Posted by donaldbain bushmaster

bushmaster wrote:That is fine but still be prepared to show ownership of the source if requested.  And Hero Lab is not a legal source for Pathfinder Society play.

In the ten or so years of playing Pathfinder at Gen Con, I've never been asked to show ownership of anything.

Normal
Small
Posted by narzat donaldbain

donaldbain wrote:
bushmaster wrote:That is fine but still be prepared to show ownership of the source if requested.  And Hero Lab is not a legal source for Pathfinder Society play.

In the ten or so years of playing Pathfinder at Gen Con, I've never been asked to show ownership of anything. 

I have once, we had a real stickler for a DM.  Actually asked for proof of ownership from me twice in one game, and from other people as well.  And no, we weren’t being jerks, so it wasn’t retaliation for anything we did.  We had all the required source material, so moved on to continue the game :)

Normal
Small
Posted by narzat donaldbain

donaldbain wrote:

I have once, we had a real stickler for a DM.  Actually asked for proof of ownership from me twice in one game, and from other people as well.  And no, we weren’t being jerks, so it wasn’t retaliation for anything we did.  We had all the required source material, so moved on to continue the game :)

Normal
Small
Posted by bushmaster donaldbain

donaldbain wrote:

True but still need to be ready to prove it.  As an analogy, we all carry a license and proof of insurance in case we get pulled over.

Normal
Small
Posted by father bloodlust bushmaster

bushmaster wrote:
donaldbain wrote:

True but still need to be ready to prove it.  As an analogy, we all carry a license and proof of insurance in case we get pulled over.

So if you don't have the book in question...then what? Your character die on the spot?

Normal
Small
Posted by narzat father bloodlust

father bloodlust wrote:
bushmaster wrote:
donaldbain wrote:

So if you don't have the book in question...then what? Your character die on the spot?
if you don’t have the book, you can’t use the item, power, feature, etc.  That can be crippling if it is a key part of your build...

Normal
Small
Posted by father bloodlust narzat

narzat wrote:
father bloodlust wrote:
bushmaster wrote:
donaldbain wrote:

if you don’t have the book, you can’t use the item, power, feature, etc.  That can be crippling if it is a key part of your build...

Oh, I bet. Didn't know about that rule. Yet another reason I have no intention of playing Pathfinder Society again.

Normal
Small
Posted by bushmaster narzat

narzat wrote:
father bloodlust wrote:
bushmaster wrote:
donaldbain wrote:

Or you have the option to play a Pre-Gen and apply credit to the character.

Keep in mind, showing that you own the source is not difficult.  It can be as easy as having a printout of your Download page off of Paizo for PDFs.

Having the physical book is more problematic.

Normal
Small
Posted by bushmaster father bloodlust

father bloodlust wrote:Oh, I bet. Didn't know about that rule. Yet another reason I have no intention of playing Pathfinder Society again.
It is too bad. The reason for the rule is to preserve the bottom line of the company so they can continue to put out quality materials for everyone to enjoy.  It is not meant to be a burden.

It is also an equality issue.  I know I would feel a little annoyed that someone can use a free source when I paid for the source.

And PDFs are not that expensive.  Generally $10.

Sign in to write a new post. New Post