Gencant
Normal
Small
Posted by mikehilly lord thrifty the cromulent

mstabosz wrote:
I'm jealous of you guys for your ability to be so excited about GenCon.  There's this huge event right in my back yard and I can't get excited about it.  I didn't skip it though; I scaled back to a 1 day pass.  There's really not a lot to do there. 
If you are a local then it may be harder to 'fully disconnect' at an event like this.  For us coming in from out of town, the rest of life is put on hold to attend.  

Normal
Small
Posted by elvinlord lord thrifty the cromulent

mstabosz wrote:
I'm jealous of you guys for your ability to be so excited about GenCon.  There's this huge event right in my back yard and I can't get excited about it.  I didn't skip it though; I scaled back to a 1 day pass.  There's really not a lot to do there. 
Yeah it's probably hard to maintain a high level of excitement for a four day vacation in your own hometown.  Big part of any vacation is just getting out dodge.

Normal
Small
Posted by funny-shaped dice lord thrifty the cromulent

mstabosz wrote:There's really not a lot to do there. 

Seriously, I've never heard anyone say that before. I always feel like I'm having to prioritize events and cut out things I'd like to do and see.  I've never felt like I didn't have options - and I'm not even talking about after-hours.  Just during the core con hours I'm always busy.

Interesting.

Normal
Small
Posted by lord thrifty the cromulent funny-shaped dice

funny-shaped dice wrote:

Seriously, I've never heard anyone say that before. I always feel like I'm having to prioritize events and cut out things I'd like to do and see.  I've never felt like I didn't have options - and I'm not even talking about after-hours.  Just during the core con hours I'm always busy.Interesting.

There are a lot of events sure, but so many of them are for games I've never heard of.  I find that learning a new game is tiring.  Last year, I tried to sign up for games I was familiar with, but the participation was too low.

Normal
Small
Posted by buffythecatslayer lord thrifty the cromulent

mstabosz wrote:
funny-shaped dice wrote:

Seriously, I've never heard anyone say that before. I always feel like I'm having to prioritize events and cut out things I'd like to do and see.  I've never felt like I didn't have options - and I'm not even talking about after-hours.  Just during the core con hours I'm always busy.Interesting.

There are a lot of events sure, but so many of them are for games I've never heard of.  I find that learning a new game is tiring.  Last year, I tried to sign up for games I was familiar with, but the participation was too low.

If Gen Con lasted 2 weeks, I wouldn't be able to do all the events, demos, & whatnot I'd like to get done.  A lot of the fun is trying out games you've never played before; last year I wound up buying 3 new games just from dropping in on demos, not even playing in full events.  But, as always, YMMV.

Normal
Small
Posted by lordnlkon buffythecatslayer

dkrantz152 wrote:
mstabosz wrote:
funny-shaped dice wrote:

If Gen Con lasted 2 weeks, I wouldn't be able to do all the events, demos, & whatnot I'd like to get done.  A lot of the fun is trying out games you've never played before; last year I wound up buying 3 new games just from dropping in on demos, not even playing in full events.  But, as always, YMMV.

Exactly. If I wanted to do stuff I already know, I could just stay home. That’s the amazing thing about gencon, getting to see and do things you’d never get a chance to do at home.

Normal
Small
Posted by melkor

Yeah, after all these years, I still leave with a petty long "wish I could have done that" list
every year.

Also a big part for me, is meeting up with friends I met at Gencon in 1989,
and am annually meeting up with them still. :-)

Gotta spend at least part of a day getting pics of the awesome
costumes people work so hard to put together.

And yes, Demo's!!!!

Normal
Small
Posted by lord thrifty the cromulent buffythecatslayer

dkrantz152 wrote:
mstabosz wrote:
funny-shaped dice wrote:

It's strange.  The things you find invigorating, I find exhausting, and vice-versa.  I would love nothing more than to sit down and play a game of Monopoly, Risk, Life, Connect Four, Guess Who, Operation, or even Apples to Apples.

Some people say "I can just play familiar games at home."  Well I don't have that luxury.  Nobody I know likes to play the old Milton Bradley / Parker Brothers classics.

Instead I look through the events catalog and it's hundreds and hundreds of games I've never heard of before.  And it's repetitive too.  You might see a game like "Axis and Allies" listed dozens of times in a couple variations, repeating over the 4 days.  So like there will be a copy at 8 AM Thursday and another at 11 AM Thursday and another at 8 AM on Friday and 1 PM Friday and so on.  I would love to see a list sorted entirely alphabetically regardless of times so I could more easily browse.

I did buy a Saturday badge so I can go, and also not have to take any days off work.  The fun stuff happens Saturday.  I rather liked the costume parade and the costume contest.  And I got an all day pass to the arcade game room.

Normal
Small
Posted by buffythecatslayer

Let me suggest Meetup. Even in the wilds of New Jersey where I am, I found several groups that get together for game nights; some of them were into classic board games like the ones you list. I’m sure in Ind, you should be able to find a like-minded bunch.

Normal
Small
Posted by lord thrifty the cromulent buffythecatslayer

dkrantz152 wrote:
Let me suggest Meetup. Even in the wilds of New Jersey where I am, I found several groups that get together for game nights; some of them were into classic board games like the ones you list. I’m sure in Ind, you should be able to find a like-minded bunch.

It's funny you should mention that.  I tried that after I moved to Indianapolis.  Some group out in the suburbs.  Same issue.  Board game enthusiasts just don't like the classics.

Normal
Small
Posted by fpras

Kantcon is starting in Kansas City today, July 13 2018. Highly recommend!
It https://www.kantcon.com/

Normal
Small
Posted by elvinlord lord thrifty the cromulent

mstabosz wrote:
dkrantz152 wrote:
mstabosz wrote:
funny-shaped dice wrote:

It's strange.  The things you find invigorating, I find exhausting, and vice-versa.  I would love nothing more than to sit down and play a game of Monopoly, Risk, Life, Connect Four, Guess Who, Operation, or even Apples to Apples.Some people say "I can just play familiar games at home."  Well I don't have that luxury.  Nobody I know likes to play the old Milton Bradley / Parker Brothers classics.
Instead I look through the events catalog and it's hundreds and hundreds of games I've never heard of before.  And it's repetitive too.  You might see a game like "Axis and Allies" listed dozens of times in a couple variations, repeating over the 4 days.  So like there will be a copy at 8 AM Thursday and another at 11 AM Thursday and another at 8 AM on Friday and 1 PM Friday and so on.  I would love to see a list sorted entirely alphabetically regardless of times so I could more easily browse.
I did buy a Saturday badge so I can go, and also not have to take any days off work.  The fun stuff happens Saturday.  I rather liked the costume parade and the costume contest.  And I got an all day pass to the arcade game room.
You can search by game name on the website there are 50 axis and allies games, 5 risk games etc you could also just spend your time in the gencon games library and get people to play those games.  Go to Find events, search option, hit the funnel icon and select games and there is a alphabetical list of games

Normal
Small

The Event DB site has events of each type listed in alphabetical order, without listing all the times.  Unfortunately none of the classic games you're looking for are listed in the Board Games section; the Risk events are the newer & LotR versions.

However, there's nothing stopping you from creating your own events for these next year.  With the variety of players at the Con, you might get plenty of interested people.

Normal
Small
Posted by matthias9 lord thrifty the cromulent

mstabosz wrote:
dkrantz152 wrote:

It's funny you should mention that.  I tried that after I moved to Indianapolis.  Some group out in the suburbs.  Same issue.  Board game enthusiasts just don't like the classics.

Not to come off as too much of a game snob, but frankly there's a reason that in 2018 most board game enthusiasts don't like those games -- they're just not very good.  The primary appeal of them is nostalgia.  By modern game design standards, most of them have serious flaws -- players get eliminated and have to watch while others play on, you're too far behind to have any chance to win anymore, roll the die and move your piece, game takes way too long, etc.  These are all elements missing from virtually all modern games.  And there's a reason for that.

You have to do what works for you.  But, if you're into Monopoly and Connect Four, it's true that most Gen Con attendees will be on a different page.  There's lots of other things, though -- costume contest, laser tag, films, demos of games are short (a turn or two, often -- not a major investment), seminars, True Dungeon, lots more.

A popular convention game that might work for you is Werewolf.  Rules so simple that you can pick them up just by watching for a few minutes.  Also, a lot of people that like the classic games also like Settlers of Catan, which you will find at the convention.

Normal
Small

@mstabosz: I think I might have found something you'll enjoy.  USAopoly makes a bunch of classic games like Clue, Monopoly, Risk, but with modern skins, like a Nightmare before Christmas Monopoly.  There are a bunch of events featuring their games.  They're at booth 137 this year.

Normal
Small
Posted by voice_of_reason elvinlord

elvinlord wrote:
Anyone else find themselves not being able to attend gencon miserable because of it.  Just spent to much money on nongencon stuff this year and I have be all adult.  Last time this happen I ended up making a last minute Saturday run just to get by.
 Unfortunately I also have a badge for GenCant this year.  Since I'm in California, something like a one day visit just isn't viable; If I lived 2-3 hours drive from Indy, I'd make the effort.

For those attending, I wish you all a great time.  Cheers!

Normal
Small
Posted by lord thrifty the cromulent

I did manage to find some stuff to look forward to and fill out the day on Saturday.  Ghostbusters board game, Who's Line (which I predict will actually be terrible but I'll give it a shot), Retro Arcade Room (all day), Retro Video Game Room (1 hour), and costume contest.  I think I may pop by after work on Friday too, just to pick up my badge from will call and ghost the convention a bit.

Normal
Small
Posted by matthias9

I was thinking -- you post on these forums a lot.  So, there must be something in the Con that is drawing you.

Normal
Small
Posted by lord thrifty the cromulent matthias9

matthias9 wrote:
I was thinking -- you post on these forums a lot.  So, there must be something in the Con that is drawing you.

It has a certain nostalgia factor for me.  I went for the first time in 2003 which was coincidentally the first year they came to Indianapolis.  I went with my brother and 2 cousins, which was most of the gaming group (1 member could not attend).  At the time, I was living in Delaware so attending the convention was a big thing.  We saved up money through the year.  I booked the hotel way in advance, like in December 2002.  We made the long drive.  I remember back then it was pretty easy getting a downtown hotel room; I just booked on Priceline. 

I had a good time because it was new and they also just had better events.  There were also celebrity guests; I went to a talk with Sean Astin and another with John Rhys-Davies.  I especially loved the Kenzerco Meet and Greet and the Knights of the Dinner Table Live Reading.  My cousin got photographed at the live reading and the picture was in an issue of KoDT.

I went again in 2004, but didn't have as good a time that year.  I had an okay time but decided it really wasn't worth the expense or effort.  So I didn't go next year although I think my 2 cousins might have gone on their own because I distinctly remember them calling me to ask where the White Castle was.  Being from Delaware, White Castle was something of an exotic cuisine to us that we would always seek out when we were in White Castle territory.

So from 2005 until 2016 I didn't think about Gencon much.  Then in May 2016 I was hired for my current job in Indianapolis.  I moved here 5 months later (the job requires a security clearance so it took a long time to get that and get started).  So then I thought wistfully of what I had in the past and the fact that now attending the convention is a lot cheaper.  I don't need 1300 miles worth of gas.  I don't need a hotel room.  I just sleep every night in my home, and park at the garage I pay $105 a month for anyway (it's a mile away from the convention center which is a little inconvenient.  The only additional costs are event costs and badge.  A little extra if I decide to buy anything from the dealer hall (last year I spent 40 bucks for a pitcher of dice and another 40 at the Kenzerco booth for KODT trade paperbacks).  Maybe a little more if I decide to grab a bite while I'm there.  In light of these facts, Gencon almost feels like a duty for me, bound by convenience and nostalgia.

Normal
Small
Posted by raptorov

Everyone has their own comfort level. One member of my gaming group went ten years ago and realized he couldn't deal with the crowds. He drove back home that Saturday.
For me GenCon is that by which I mark time the whole year. Yes, I most often can't do all the things I want, and after a couple hours in the exhibit hall, I start to feel very exhausted. But I wouldn't miss it. Every year inevitably boss jokes that I can't take GenCon week off. I tell him then I will resign. I would do it too, if it came to that.

Also, I LOVE Indianapolis! We routinely check out concert dates and the like for the rest of the year and just love visiting.
Everything downtown is just so vibrant. 

Maybe I always see Indy with a GenCon lens. 

Sign in to write a new post. New Post