Anyone done the brewery tour?
Normal
Small
Posted by fethbone

If so, what did you think? Thinking about taking a little break from the ICC and surrounding but hopefully still meeting some folks that have common interests.

Normal
Small
Posted by boc_mage

Did last year with my brother/roommate, heavily enjoyed it but timings are odd and no Sat tours is disappointing. 

I'm contemplating going again but this year i'm basically doing con solo. 

Normal
Small
Posted by aklevah

I have done the Brew Bus tour every year that they had it.   I found it worth it for the beer, and a nice break from the con.  Doing it through Gen Con as an event, is good because all the other people on the bus are both gamers and beer people; always has been a really good crowd.  If you can get it do it.

Normal
Small
Posted by boc_mage aklevah

aklevah wrote:
I have done the Brew Bus tour every year that they had it.   I found it worth it for the beer, and a nice break from the con.  Doing it through Gen Con as an event, is good because all the other people on the bus are both gamers and beer people; always has been a really good crowd.  If you can get it do it.

The get to do it is my issue, I volunteer full time and shift times just don't match well for me this year. I keep forgetting Brew Bus doesn't do Sat events.

Normal
Small
Posted by fethbone aklevah

aklevah wrote:
Good to hear. Which breweries did they take you to? Also, as long as the beers are better than the RAM's....I mean, A beer is better than no beer at the end of the day, but I wasn't really impressed with their brews all that much.

Normal
Small
Posted by aklevah fethbone

fethbone wrote:
aklevah wrote:
Good to hear. Which breweries did they take you to? Also, as long as the beers are better than the RAM's....I mean, A beer is better than no beer at the end of the day, but I wasn't really impressed with their brews all that much.
It has changed a little depending on which tour.  Also, breweries have opened since the first time I took it.  Over the years I have been to these ones on multiple tours:  Sun King; TwoDeep; Indiana City Brewing, Fountain Square; and Flat 12.  Last year I think Metazoa was a new one.  You usually hit four in a tour.

Normal
Small
Posted by fethbone

Thank you everyone for the feedback. Definitely going to try and do it this year!

Normal
Small
Posted by jedijawa74

I've enjoyed this tour before ... there have now been extra tours offered in the upload of 1500 new events that include Saturday times.  It is a different company but it sounds very similar.

Normal
Small
Posted by mjdomask

I did it back in 2012 and liked it a lot. Back then, each brewery had a distinct identity. There was the all rounder (Sun King), the trendy (Flat 12), a Belgian focused, etc. The reps at the brewery knew their stuff and were happy to have us. 

Tried it again last year and was much less impressed. Fewer tastings at each location, and all the locations had similar offerings. Nothing new or keeping up with trends. Just lots of IPAs, and not even the NE style that’s become a thing.

And the reps were worse this time around. One had us play flip cup at the tasting which was just off putting. 

Then again, I’m spoiled by Chicago with and an embarrassment of excellent options. 

Normal
Small
Posted by boc_mage mjdomask

[email protected] wrote:
I did it back in 2012 and liked it a lot. Back then, each brewery had a distinct identity. There was the all rounder (Sun King), the trendy (Flat 12), a Belgian focused, etc. The reps at the brewery knew their stuff and were happy to have us. 
Tried it again last year and was much less impressed. Fewer tastings at each location, and all the locations had similar offerings. Nothing new or keeping up with trends. Just lots of IPAs, and not even the NE style that’s become a thing.
And the reps were worse this time around. One had us play flip cup at the tasting which was just off putting. 
Then again, I’m spoiled by Chicago with and an embarrassment of excellent options. 

Forgot about that awkwardness last year. I was on a Fri tour last year and the rep trying to explain and get us to play flip cup when we just wanted to drink. The rep got flustered as he apparently never met the sub specious of nerd known as a rules lawyer before.

Normal
Small
Posted by mjdomask boc_mage

boc_mage wrote:Forgot about that awkwardness last year. I was on a Fri tour last year and the rep trying to explain and get us to play flip cup when we just wanted to drink. The rep got flustered as he apparently never met the sub specious of nerd known as a rules lawyer before.
Yeah, that was... special. 

I'm sure it goes over well with the normal brew bus groups, but it just seemed odd. What's the point of making good beer if you're just going to chug it anyhow?

Normal
Small
Posted by evolution144

All sold out except Sunday noon. Just booked it. Anyone on the same tour as e?

Normal
Small
Posted by 7sponge

How long does the tour go?

New Post Sign in to write a new post.