Double ticketed for True Dungeon?
Normal
Small
Posted by hauntedcity

Has anyone else been double-ticketed for True Dungeon events?  My friends got me a ticket for an event (lucky draw at 38 in the queue), and paid for the tickets.  I even got an email confirming the event.

Then, when my wist list went through, it apparently included all 4 of us in that same event, and charged us for it again.

Any idea what's going on?  Would the system give all of us 2 tickets???
 

Normal
Small
Posted by rholmes

I had the same issue with other events and just contacted customer service. They are going to have to deal with this.

Normal
Small
Posted by marimaccadmin

Hey haunted city,

We have devs looking at your specific issue now; could you send an email to customerservice@gencon.com with the specific event ID, and the specific friend ID at issue?  
Thank you!

Marian McBrine
Event Coordinator
Gen Con LLC

Normal
Small
Posted by rholmes

Here is Customer Services' response to me:
By default, most events allow users to get up to 2 tickets in their own name. So if both of you attempted to purchase tickets for both of you, that would go through.

If you only need 1 ticket for each of you, the second person to get their wish list processed should have dropped the tickets from their cart before checking out.

You’ll want to just return the tickets you don’t need. You can do that online yourself for system credit, or you can email customer service if you want it refunded to your original method of payment.

Normal
Small
Posted by hauntedcity marimaccadmin

marimaccadmin wrote:
Hey haunted city,
We have devs looking at your specific issue now; could you send an email to customerservice@gencon.com with the specific event ID, and the specific friend ID at issue?  
Thank you!
Marian McBrine
Event Coordinator
Gen Con LLC

Thanks.  I'll send an email.

Doug
 

Normal
Small
online
Posted by mhayward1978 hauntedcity

hauntedcity wrote:
Has anyone else been double-ticketed for True Dungeon events?  My friends got me a ticket for an event (lucky draw at 38 in the queue), and paid for the tickets.  I even got an email confirming the event.
Then, when my wist list went through, it apparently included all 4 of us in that same event, and charged us for it again.
Any idea what's going on?  Would the system give all of us 2 tickets???
 

I think this is a quirk and everything is working as expected, hopefully you can get a refund.  The system is somewhat confusing here.

Each person is allowed to buy up to 10 tickets for a TD run, sounds like your friend got 4, and you got 4, so there is no reason the system shouldn't have allowed this (although it's clear that in your situation this is not what you wanted).

You would have had the chance to remove the redundant tickets from your cart before checkout if you didn't want them.

Normal
Small
Posted by koalabro2

I will say that my group had everybody submit identical wishlists, and having someone receive and event from my wishlist definitely did NOT prevent that person from receiving tickets for an event at the same time when his wishlist was subsequently processed.  So that check appears to have failed.

Didn't affect us, as we simply dropped the unwanted tickets, but definitely something that didn't work as expected.

Normal
Small
Posted by roderick koalabro2

koalabro2 wrote:
I will say that my group had everybody submit identical wishlists, and having someone receive and event from my wishlist definitely did NOT prevent that person from receiving tickets for an event at the same time when his wishlist was subsequently processed.  So that check appears to have failed.
Didn't affect us, as we simply dropped the unwanted tickets, but definitely something that didn't work as expected.

Send the details to customerservice@Gencon.com and they will look into it (they do want to eliminate errors and bugs...)

Roderick Robertson
Forum Coordinator 
Gen Con, LLC. 

Normal
Small
Posted by aegoce

I'll add a confirmation that duplicates could end up in the cart, it happened to us as well.  However, there was no automatic double charging in our case.

We had two wish lists each containing 4 tickets to TDA18137384. 
They were all assigned to individual names, no 'another ticket for me' selections.
Wishlist 1 processed and the 4 tickets showed up in cart.
Wishlist 2 processed before the owner of wishlist 1 had checked out.  The same 4 named tickets showed up in the cart.
We dropped the 4 tickets from cart 2 prior to checking out and had no double charging event.

I actually considered this a nice feature as it gave us an option of considering if we wanted 4 more tickets to bring other friends along.  I suspect any tickets to the exact same event ID don't violate whatever conditions are in place checking for overlapping event times.

Normal
Small
Posted by jareds113

Same happened with me, with my friend also processing around the same time as me with events that weren't sold out. I reported it to the email, but was told it "wasn't a bug" since everyone can get a 2nd ticket for yourself.

Maybe it's not a coding error, but it's a clear User Interface problem. We removed several of the doubled tickets from the second person's cart, but missed some. So we ended up paying for tickets we didn't want, which had to be returned and refunded, AND that meant that several games "sold out" when they didn't, so people missed out on an event they wanted, and the GM now has a sold out event with slots open again.

We only caught this because I was friends with one of the GMs who questioned why we were all listed twice in his event. And we didn't catch it until today, several days after the first rush on tickets.

 

Normal
Small
Posted by derekguder

This is not a coding error and it is the same as how it has always operated in the current registration system.

True Dungeon is particularly prone to this because it allows up to 10 tickets per account - it's a trade-off to make it as easy as possible for a group of friends to grab a bunch of tickets and sort out exactly who is going later, but it also makes it easier for folks to accidentally double-book themselves.

It is important to always double-check your cart before actually checking out (especially since the wish list is set up to potentially allow you to book yourself to repeat events) - even more so if you are coordinating with friends to make sure that everyone has tickets for everyone else on their separate wish lists.

There is a 2-hour window to review tickets before checking out, so for groups of friends that are coordinating their wish lists that closely, they should also build in some time to confirm everything before checking out.

-
Derek Guder
Event Manager
Gen Con LLC

Normal
Small
Posted by hauntedcity derekguder

derekguder wrote:
This is not a coding error and it is the same as how it has always operated in the current registration system.
True Dungeon is particularly prone to this because it allows up to 10 tickets per account - it's a trade-off to make it as easy as possible for a group of friends to grab a bunch of tickets and sort out exactly who is going later, but it also makes it easier for folks to accidentally double-book themselves.
It is important to always double-check your cart before actually checking out (especially since the wish list is set up to potentially allow you to book yourself to repeat events) - even more so if you are coordinating with friends to make sure that everyone has tickets for everyone else on their separate wish lists.
There is a 2-hour window to review tickets before checking out, so for groups of friends that are coordinating their wish lists that closely, they should also build in some time to confirm everything before checking out.
-
Derek Guder
Event Manager
Gen Con LLC

Derek,

Yeah, that's what I eventually figured out.  We've done True Dungeon for many years, but we've always have 6 or more people playing, so we never had this double-booking problem.  So, if one person nabs the 6 tickets, there are only 4 left, so the next person won't be able to get 6 tickets.  

THIS YEAR, unfortunately, we only have 4 people playing TD, so we had 2 people each grabbing 4 tickets for the event.

To compound the problem, we saw that there was a Return ticket option, so we tried that, and the money was put in system credit.  I contacted Customer Service about a refund, and was told that once it hits System Credit, it's in a black hole where no light or dollars can escape,  and it can't be refunded.  :(

(And of course, this didn't happen with a $6 RPG ticket, but has to happen with a $78* event.)

All of this together leads to a perfect storm where I have a monstrous credit card bill looming, and enough system credit to last me until 2020.

:(

This has been a very expensive way to learn that (despite attending Gen Con for over a decade), I didn't really understand how event registration works.

Doug

* equivalent to 5 Platinum, 4 Gold, and 6 Copper pieces, for you D&D players out there

Normal
Small
Posted by hauntedcity

P.S. (For the record, I'm not really mad.  It's not Gen Con's fault I didn't understand how True Dungeon allows all those multiple tickets. I now understand HOW it works, although I'm still not sure WHY you would want it to work that way.)

P.P.S. ( I'm just sad.)

P.P.P.S. (And poor.)

New Post Sign in to write a new post.