Anita Sarkeesian, Why? ( Locked)
1 3
1 3
Normal
Small
Posted by wolnir squirecam
#41

squirecam wrote:
They just want to argue at this point. Gencon wasn't pushing g a leftist agenda. 
And the guy who got punched is a professional troll. Sometimes they get punched. And if an assault occurred the legal system will resolve it. 
Of course, he is already soliciting funds for a civil suit. Which is worthless to a pi lawyer because he wasn't injured, which he even admitted.

Yeah the guy who allegedly got punched allegedly called the puncher a faggot beforehand and has made a career being an alt-right YouTube troll after being banned from Magic tournaments by Wizards got harassment.

Normal
Small
Posted by raidkillsbugsded wolnir
#42

(This post has been edited, since I forgot to number off my list of points to begin with)

1.  Reading through this thread as a whole as it's developed over the last 24 hours or so, I empathize with the moderator at the end of Billy Madison.


And the guy who got punched is a professional troll. Sometimes they get punched. And if an assault occurred the legal system will resolve it. 

2.  Remember that time when that guy got all up in Buzz Aldrin's face about the moon landing being faked?  That was priceless. 

Can you point out a game that's been ruined?


3.  They no longer carry a random harlot table in the DMG...How can I possibly know whether to include a slovenly trull or an expensive doxy in my campaign?

Normal
Small
Posted by balkron
#43

Wolnir, you just don't understand the way facts work.

1. Fact:Anita went to the United Nations and spoke.  This makes her a political figure.  She is also pushing a politically hot topic of feminism.  Which if you go watch a little tv or browse the internet you can see all of the rhetoric on both sides about this political issue.
2. Fact: Anita has said she does not play or like games.  If you don't like this take it up with Anita.  
3. What does the KKK have to do with this discussion.  The only person who brought up the KKK was you.   This was just an idiotic attempt to smear with association.  It is easy to tell people with no facts, they have to smear the other person just to think they are winning.  They can't actually debate in a civil manner.
4. Why does it matter if people agree or don't agree with Anita?  This has nothing to do with the discussion.  Again you are using a deflection tactic to try and change the conversation.  Anita was a bad choice for an "Honored Guest".  This is a fact.  Since there have to be 100s of other people who would have been better for this.
5. It is not relevant to the discussion if you had a good con or bad con.  That is not what this discussion is about.  Again deflection.  Why not use some facts and give meaningful discussion points.
6. Fact: There is a police report filed for assault.  Again, just because you don't like something does not make it true.  The fact is a person was assaulted and a police report was filed.  There are videos with people at the scene stating the assault happened.  So there are witnesses.  Again what is it about facts that confuse you?
7.  I don't think anyone has stated that games should not be more inclusive.  However, this is not what Anita has done.  Instead she has made false claims and demeaned other people who criticize her.  You can tell she is wrong because she does not allow any comments on her posts and she will not do a live QA.  When you don't accept criticism or debate on your content you are pretty much admitting you are wrong.

Nice try on the attempted association slander using KKK.  It was like a 3rd grader saying you have cooties.  LOL.  If you can't have a civil discussion without using deflection and guilt by association, then maybe you should read more books and listen more.  You may learn how this all works and become a positive to the discussion instead of a negative.

Normal
Small
Posted by father bloodlust balkron
#44

balkron wrote:

3. What does the KKK have to do with this discussion.  The only person who brought up the KKK was you.


Wrong.

Quoth fatherofone:

"You just mentioned that she is not a gamer... but given your logic should GenCon give an honored guest to say a KKK member just to get their perspective on gaming for white racist?"

...

"So again I ask.  What if GenCon invited some KKK member who, in a lot of peoples opinion is similar to Sark."

Normal
Small
Posted by raidkillsbugsded
#45

I really hope this thread continues forever.

Normal
Small
Posted by qmslager ajsears
#46

ajsears wrote:
Lqmslager - So you dismiss my opinion because I use the pejorative SJW.  Well, I am sorry that offends you but Anita is a social justice warrior.  Anita argues that games and game designers are sexist but doesn't even play games.  So the urban dictionary definition of SJW fits Anita like a glove.
Your ire proves why Anita was a very bad choice and why I don't understand GenCon making her a speaker.  She is highly controversial and has no real interest in the gaming community, except to put it down and cause issues.
Again I have no issue with Anita saying what she wants to anyone she wants, my irritation is at GenCon for making a great gaming experience into a platform for politics.  Like I said, I get enough of that at home, I don't want it at GenCon where I come to have fun and enjoy gaming with other participants no matter what their politics are.  It is supposed to bring gamers together not tear them apart with political ideologies and controversial subjects.
I can listen to people I do not agree with and try to understand their point, even if they use pejoratives.  How can we ever come together if we can't even listen to each other.
 
nope.  still not hearing are you?  your comment roughly equates to -it's your fault you wont  listen to me when I call people names" that doesnt scream understanding peoples point of views

as an aside the dictionary does define social justice warrior but basically calls anyone who uses it someone who thinks they are better than others

Normal
Small
online
Posted by miked squirecam
#47

squirecam wrote:
They just want to argue at this point. Gencon wasn't pushing g a leftist agenda. 
And the guy who got punched is a professional troll. Sometimes they get punched. And if an assault occurred the legal system will resolve it. 
Of course, he is already soliciting funds for a civil suit. Which is worthless to a pi lawyer because he wasn't injured, which he even admitted.
and the guy who punched him is also a professional troll.  If you would use google on gencon attack the guy threatened to punch ANYONE who didn’t agree with the speaker.  And on Twitter when he made the threat he used #gencon so gencon staff was aware of his threat when he made it in june

Normal
Small
online
Posted by miked
#48

Sorry it was @gencon on Twitter.  Look up gencon attack the website is oneangrygamer.net

Normal
Small
Posted by mikeboozer
#49

Off topic. Please get back on.

Mike Boozer
Customer Service & Event Team Manager
Gen Conn LLC

Normal
Small
Posted by cman811
#50

So, for the people who went to her panel, particularly those that don't agree with her politics.  Did she say anything that upset you in any way? 

Normal
Small
Posted by fatherofone father bloodlust
#51

father bloodlust wrote:
balkron wrote:3. What does the KKK have to do with this discussion.  The only person who brought up the KKK was you.

Wrong.Quoth fatherofone:
"You just mentioned that she is not a gamer... but given your logic should GenCon give an honored guest to say a KKK member just to get their perspective on gaming for white racist?"...
"So again I ask.  What if GenCon invited some KKK member who, in a lot of peoples opinion is similar to Sark."

She is the the KKK for the left.   That is the analogy, and specifically a hate person.  A radical SJW who promotes hate, much like the KKK but from her view the opposite side of the social side.  

To get back on point.
I realize that this is a heated conversation, and I hope this makes the original posters point.  Look at the arguments people are getting into here on this post over making a radical SJW an "honored guest".   It is now a fact that because of this invite, a convention member was assaulted and another is now going to be a criminal.   If GenCon didn't make her an honored guest this would not have happened.  

In my opinion GeonCon got a warning here.  Next time it could very well be someone armed, either the attacker or the defender and on the show floor.  All because GenCon wanted to invite a radical political person to push their agenda.  You may not think Sark is, but a LOT of other people agree with me. 

For those on the other side of this discussion, would you feel the same if Sean Hannity was the honored guest?  I would.  

Normal
Small
Posted by lord thrifty the cromulent
#52

I just don't understand why GenCon would include such a controversial figure in the first place.  It's really just asking for trouble and controversy on what should be a gathering for hobbyists.  Love her or hate her, Ms. Sarkeesian is indisputably a controversial public figure.

I largely forgot she was going to be around until I saw that page in the program, and again until this thread popped up and keeps popping up on the list of "Latest Topic" on the board main page.

Normal
Small
Posted by balkron cman811
#53

cman811 wrote:
So, for the people who went to her panel, particularly those that don't agree with her politics.  Did she say anything that upset you in any way? 

What does this have to do with the issue?  You are trying to use a distraction technique to change the discussion.  This discussion has nothing to do with the speech, it has to do with GenCon's invitation to Anita to be an Honored Speaker.  Anita has done a number of unprofessional things:

1. She has lied about games to fit her narrative.  (Just look up her Batman is sexist video).  She either lied or never played the game which in itself would be a lie.
2. She has used profanity against audience members even when the audience member did nothing to elicit the response (see VidCon)
3. She berated another panelist at a convention who did nothing to her (see VidCon)
4. She has accused many game developers of being sexist without factual evidence (see batman or Tomb Raider reviews)
5. She has taken go fund me money and squandered it (see how much each of the Tropes in Video Games cost per video).
6. She offered to setup a free service for people if they donated 25,000 or more to her organization  (see latest $35,000 request for donations)
7. She made promises to backers and either didn't fulfill the promises or provided the content she said she would (see unknown women in history videos)
8. She turns off comments on all her content so that nobody is allowed to criticize her work  (look at any video or any post from Anita, comments are disabled as well as likes and dislikes)
9. She will not take live QA questions  (watch any panel where Anita is part of it, there is no live QA)
10. She has accused people that dont agree with her as harassment and bullying (see United Nations speech)
11. She has claimed she doesn't play or even like games but is trying to tell others about games and how sexist they are.

Anita has upset a lot of gamers, but this is not the point of the discussion.  The point being made is GenCon invited a controversial political speaker for a Game Convention.

If Ben Shapiro or Cenk Uygur were invited as Honored Speakers, we would be having the same discussion just with a different focus.  I would be just as upset if either of these were Honored Guests.  If you can't agree with this point you just don't understand the conversation or you refuse to admit your own bias.  Just because you like Anita does not mean she should be an Honored Guest speaker at a game convention.

Anita has become irrelevant, she gets less than 5k views on her videos.  This is just one more reason why she is a terrible pick for Honored Guest speaker. This was an attempt to make Anita important again.  Anita will never be an important part of gaming because she doesn't know anything about the subject and makes ridiculous claims that get debunked faster than Flash on a potion of speed. 

A game convention is not the place for controversial political figures to speak.  Just look what it has caused at this convention.  A threat of violence prior to the con and an actual assault during the con.  Also, look at the posts above and all the negativity on both sides.  As Fatherofone stated, These comments prove the point of the originator of this discussion.

Normal
Small
Posted by squirecam fatherofone
#54

fatherofone wrote:
father bloodlust wrote:
balkron wrote:3. What does the KKK have to do with this discussion.  The only person who brought up the KKK was you.

Wrong.Quoth fatherofone:
"You just mentioned that she is not a gamer... but given your logic should GenCon give an honored guest to say a KKK member just to get their perspective on gaming for white racist?"...
"So again I ask.  What if GenCon invited some KKK member who, in a lot of peoples opinion is similar to Sark."

She is the the KKK for the left.   That is the analogy, and specifically a hate person.  A radical SJW who promotes hate, much like the KKK but from her view the opposite side of the social side.  To get back on point.
I realize that this is a heated conversation, and I hope this makes the original posters point.  Look at the arguments people are getting into here on this post over making a radical SJW an "honored guest".   It is now a fact that because of this invite, a convention member was assaulted and another is now going to be a criminal.   If GenCon didn't make her an honored guest this would not have happened.  
In my opinion GeonCon got a warning here.  Next time it could very well be someone armed, either the attacker or the defender and on the show floor.  All because GenCon wanted to invite a radical political person to push their agenda.  You may not think Sark is, but a LOT of other people agree with me. 
For those on the other side of this discussion, would you feel the same if Sean Hannity was the honored guest?  I would.  
you keep blaming her for the fight. She was no where near it. Gencon also is not responsible for it.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
1 3
1 3