Wheeled Vehicles and Giant Packs in the Dealer Hall
Posted by tdb

It seems like everybody in the Good, Bad, and Ugly thread is commenting about huge backpacks, wagons, strollers, etc. clogging up the dealer hall.  I saw it too.

The problem seems to get worse every year.  The giant backpacks become more numerous, and the wagons and giant luggage become more common.  It's way past time to do something about it.

Here's my proposal:

Rule 1.  All backpacks and rolling cargo carriers (including, but not limited to luggage, rolling crates, wheelbarrows, pallet jacks, hand trucks, wagons, and strollers not currently occupied by their full allotment of children) must comply with TSA luggage carry-on requirements.  So backpacks and rolling luggage, etc. are limited to 22"x14"x9" in size.  No exceptions.

Rule 2. Any stroller in the dealer hall must be filled to capacity with children.  So if you have a stroller for two children, there has to be two children in it.  Otherwise it must comply with rule 1.

Rule 3. If you're found in violation of the above, you will be asked to immediately remove the offending item from the dealer hall.  Failure to do so will be a violation of the terms of service of your badge.

Thoughts?

Posted by qwaserity

I'm the middle cog in a company where we're rewriting policies. All good policies begin with an imperfect first post like yours and gets worked over by engineers/managers/others. As others read this they should realize that such a policy needs massaging. That being said:

Rule 1: Obviously not during set-up and tear down times. But how to enforce the policy?
Rule 2: I saw people carrying their kids because they fussed too much in the stroller. Why people bring infants to GenCon is beyond me but I know how much babysitting can cost.
Rule 3: Draconian but can be adjusted.

I'm sticking with my thought of a "back pack check-in room". I had to haul a bag all of Saturday for a night event and I would have paid a few bucks to have it checked somewhere in the convention center. I'd like to know how much it would cost to acquire a room for the Gen Con weekend; it might be profitable for the right group.

Posted by jeff russell (mariston#6930)

I agree with the above sentiment... however, the root cause is not being addressed.  The root cause is that the vender hall is too small for the number of attendees.  The vender hall needs to expand into the next room, which spread the people out over more square footage.  That might allow a widening of the walkways (and possibly adding a few more venders) which will go a long way towards solving the problem.

Posted by conspiracyofgamers

Which 'next room' are you seeing on the map?  It looks like all of the space in the ICC is being utilized now.

Posted by lore seeker

The exhibit hall would definitely cut into the wargaming hall if it were expanded any more.

Posted by random_axcess

I am in full agreement on needing some type of bag/cart policy; obviously without one the issue continues to get worse as people push what is acceptable (and will continue). I am sure everyone's opinions will be different and given the nature of GenCon I do not think we need the draconian concert/sports level policy.

Bag/Cart Restriction:

1. Backpacks: A worn bag/backpack should not exceed medium size of 16x13x8 inches (slightly larger than a modular pack). Bags exceeding this when purchased in the exhibit hall should be removed after purchase (like swords) at the earliest convenience.
  2. Hand held bags: I am not sure what to do on this as the AEG provided bags are huge but not often complained about. Since they are unwieldy they are often used for purchase but not carried for long terms or swung around indiscriminately.
  3. Strollers: to be mindful of fellow con goers, strollers should be utilized for children and not storage for purchases, they should also not be used as a way to barrel through other people.
  4. Wagons, pull-behinds, luggage on rollers: prohibited in the dealer hall.

I think it is important to separate that bag/wagon restriction is for the dealer hall not the convention at large.

Expanding the dealer hall doesn't solve the issue just hides it better, if we really want to dig down backpacks are not even the issue, it is people that just don't care about those around them. You cannot force people to look beyond themselves so unfortunately need to create rules that do so.

Posted by quarex

I imagine there is a 0% chance of literally any rule being implemented, since unless you mandate everyone with a backpack go in one entrance and everyone without go in another, you are going to have an immediate traffic jam as the first person with a debatably-too-large bag tries to walk in.  Yes it would mostly be an issue at 10 every day, granted, but I am sure Gen-Con would rather deal with complaints about it than the logistics of implementing a rule to deal with it 

Posted by tdb qwaserity

qwaserity wrote:
I'm the middle cog in a company where we're rewriting policies. All good policies begin with an imperfect first post like yours and gets worked over by engineers/managers/others. As others read this they should realize that such a policy needs massaging. That being said:
Rule 1: Obviously not during set-up and tear down times. But how to enforce the policy?
Rule 2: I saw people carrying their kids because they fussed too much in the stroller. Why people bring infants to GenCon is beyond me but I know how much babysitting can cost.
Rule 3: Draconian but can be adjusted.
I'm sticking with my thought of a "back pack check-in room". I had to haul a bag all of Saturday for a night event and I would have paid a few bucks to have it checked somewhere in the convention center. I'd like to know how much it would cost to acquire a room for the Gen Con weekend; it might be profitable for the right group.

Of course the rules wouldn't apply to setup and teardown.  During the hall hours, you enforce the policy by not allowing the offending articles in the dealer hall to begin with.

It's one thing to carry your child for a bit.  It's quite another thing to start putting your purchases in the the stroller while the kid walks alongside. 

Posted by tdb random_axcess

random_axcess wrote:
I am in full agreement on needing some type of bag/cart policy; obviously without one the issue continues to get worse as people push what is acceptable (and will continue). I am sure everyone's opinions will be different and given the nature of GenCon I do not think we need the draconian concert/sports level policy.
Bag/Cart Restriction:

1. Backpacks: A worn bag/backpack should not exceed medium size of 16x13x8 inches (slightly larger than a modular pack). Bags exceeding this when purchased in the exhibit hall should be removed after purchase (like swords) at the earliest convenience.
  2. Hand held bags: I am not sure what to do on this as the AEG provided bags are huge but not often complained about. Since they are unwieldy they are often used for purchase but not carried for long terms or swung around indiscriminately.
  3. Strollers: to be mindful of fellow con goers, strollers should be utilized for children and not storage for purchases, they should also not be used as a way to barrel through other people.
  4. Wagons, pull-behinds, luggage on rollers: prohibited in the dealer hall.

I think it is important to separate that bag/wagon restriction is for the dealer hall not the convention at large.Expanding the dealer hall doesn't solve the issue just hides it better, if we really want to dig down backpacks are not even the issue, it is people that just don't care about those around them. You cannot force people to look beyond themselves so unfortunately need to create rules that do so.

Couple things here:
I like the idea of treating newly-purchased giant packs like swords.  Makes sense - both are relevant to gamers but not appropriate for the dealer hall.

I didn't notice hand-held bags being a huge problem the way backpacks can be.  It may be because it's just about impossible to be oblivious to something you're holding in your hand, but easy to forget something hanging on your back.

I think we're on the same page about strollers - they have to hold kids, not purchases, and a 3-child stroller for one or two children is inappropriate.  I didn't observe anyone using a stroller as a battering ram this year, but I have seen it in the past.  To be blunt, hitting someone deliberately with a stroller is, legally, assault and battery.  That should result in immediate ejection.  If you see someone doing that, video them, and then show the video to security.

As much as I would like to request an outright ban on rolling carriers of all sorts, we do need to be mindful that there are attendees who cannot carry a backpack due to medical issues.  But they still need to carry water, snacks, an umbrella, dice, etc. 

Posted by tdb quarex

quarex wrote:
I imagine there is a 0% chance of literally any rule being implemented, since unless you mandate everyone with a backpack go in one entrance and everyone without go in another, you are going to have an immediate traffic jam as the first person with a debatably-too-large bag tries to walk in.  Yes it would mostly be an issue at 10 every day, granted, but I am sure Gen-Con would rather deal with complaints about it than the logistics of implementing a rule to deal with it 

Sadly, I think you're right. The lack of improvements in event registration serves as an example. As long as they sell the badges, and sell the booths, I don't think Gen Con actually cares much about making improvements to our experience.  If we don't buy a badge, someone else will.  But if we don't try we definitely won't get anywhere.  If we try, then we at least give Gen Con an opportunity to prove us wrong.

Posted by njseahawksfan

Essen has done exactly this.  Large backpacks and trolleys are not permitted.  It will be interesting to see if it actually is enforced and how it goes this week.  

With any luck it is successful and prompts GenCon to give a try next year.

Posted by colbrook njseahawksfan

njseahawksfan wrote:
Essen has done exactly this.  Large backpacks and trolleys are not permitted.  It will be interesting to see if it actually is enforced and how it goes this week.  
Just large backpacks, trollies are still allowed as far as I can tell. 

https://www.spiel-essen.de/en/visit/rules-of-spiel

BACKPACKS AND OTHER TRANSPORTATION OF GAMES To avoid accidents in the aisles, so-called Cajon backpacks (very large backpacks in which games can be stowed) must not be carried on your back. It is best to pull the backpacks behind you, as well as rolling suitcases or other transport aids, if you watch out for the other visitors. 

Posted by ianferrell

Addressing oversized backpacks, rolling carriers, and strollers in the dealer hall is a valid concern. Implementing size restrictions and occupancy rules could enhance the convention experience for everyone.Addressing oversized backpacks, rolling carriers, and strollers in the dealer hall is a valid concern. Implementing size restrictions and occupancy rules could enhance the convention experience for everyone. Term papers have always been a major source of frustration for me. However, I was able to overcome this issue by utilizing the services of this https://www.grabmyessay.com/term-paper-writing-service professional term paper writing agency. Their experienced team of writers provided me with a carefully crafted paper that met my needs perfectly. It was as if a burden had been lifted from my shoulders, allowing me to focus on the finer things in life, such as socializing and relaxing. If you are looking for term paper help that meets your requirements, do not hesitate to contact these professional term paper writers. They are a lifesaver.

Posted by njseahawksfan colbrook

colbrook wrote:
njseahawksfan wrote:
Just large backpacks, trollies are still allowed as far as I can tell. https://www.spiel-essen.de/en/visit/rules-of-spiel
BACKPACKS AND OTHER TRANSPORTATION OF GAMES To avoid accidents in the aisles, so-called Cajon backpacks (very large backpacks in which games can be stowed) must not be carried on your back. It is best to pull the backpacks behind you, as well as rolling suitcases or other transport aids, if you watch out for the other visitors. 
Oh, yes.  I misread the policy.  Thanks for the clarification.

Posted by starnostar

This was my first Gen Con and my group and I were surprised at the huge number of the giant cube shaped specific backpacks we saw, especially when I kept getting hit by them. As much as I would also like to see some changes/enforcing of bag size, I don't see that actually being able to happen. Someone mentioned a paid bag check somewhere - and tho space is obviously limited that is the only conceivable option I think
The strollers are another concern, but unless they put an age restriction to attended I don't see those going away even tho I personally believe a convention is not a place for small children 

Posted by jameswilliamson

[This post has been removed]

New Post Sign in to write a new post.