What miniature-related thing do YOU want to do at GC 2016 (besides playing)?
Normal
Small
Posted by notmuch_23

Not every event is a game-playing one, and specifically, I'm interested to hear what YOU want to do for a Miniature Hobby Event (MHE) at GenCon 2016?

I ran Scratchbuilding and Kitbashing for Wargames last year, and my attendees had a good time. I'd like to run more Miniature Hobby events this year, more along the lines of those that haven't been done much.

I also know that there are others out there wanting to run MHE events as well, and would find interest in this thread.

Normal
Small
Posted by helenbb

I'd love to see some more miniature painting for beginners (or very low level intermediates). I was trying to get one of these events last year and kept looking and looking and looking... and no spots ever opened up!

Normal
Small
Posted by notmuch_23 helenbb

helenbb wrote:
I'd love to see some more miniature painting for beginners (or very low level intermediates). I was trying to get one of these events last year and kept looking and looking and looking... and no spots ever opened up!

I'd be one of the people attending one of those, but I do know at least a couple of people who are far better than me, and I'll see if they want to run a beginning and/or intermediate painting class.

No promises...

Normal
Small
Posted by vickers1

I have never tried any of these events but perhaps I may this year.

Normal
Small
Posted by vutpakdi helenbb

helenbb wrote:
I'd love to see some more miniature painting for beginners (or very low level intermediates). I was trying to get one of these events last year and kept looking and looking and looking... and no spots ever opened up!

If you are interested in any of the MHE classes and can't register for the class, you have a good chance of getting into the class if you show up early with generics and politely ask the instructor to be on the waiting list.  

Oftentimes, you can get in because someone doesn't show up or the instructor has enough materials to include an extra person or two.

For the last few years, my beginner classes have sold out during pre-registration, but for about 50% of the classes, I've had at least one no show.

Normal
Small
Posted by kevinj4

I always try to do 1 or 2 hobby sessions each year - my first GenCon was hobby heavy as I didn't register until late and that was mostly what was left!

As for miniature games, it would be great to see more non-tournament events for miniature games.  I love the hobby and would like to play games where it isn't a day long competition and I can meet some new people.

Normal
Small
Posted by helenbb vutpakdi

vutpakdi wrote:
If you are interested in any of the MHE classes and can't register for the class, you have a good chance of getting into the class if you show up early with generics and politely ask the instructor to be on the waiting list.  Oftentimes, you can get in because someone doesn't show up or the instructor has enough materials to include an extra person or two.
For the last few years, my beginner classes have sold out during pre-registration, but for about 50% of the classes, I've had at least one no show.

Thank you, that's good to know! Last year was my first GenCon and there were so many events I wanted to do, but I wasn't able to get all of them. Still, when I couldn't get something, I would find something else. So given that I wasn't 'guaranteed' a spot, I had other events planned, which would have made it difficult to gamble with generics. I was tempted to drop into the Saturday night session, since I had no plans and figured that in the evening people might not show, but then I unexpectedly made it into the NASCRAG finals (it was a shock, since I had never played before and I had gone with a 'pick up' team) and suddenly Saturday night was taken!

But I will definitely keep your words in mind if I am unable to get into a beginner painting class this year!

Normal
Small
Posted by notmuch_23

Well, early event registration begins tomorrow, and I know I'm submitting Wargame Scratchbuilding and Kitbashing Make & Take (essense of what i ran last year), and at least two separate times for Basic Foamboard Terrain: Cargo Container. Now that i think about it, I might also submit Basic Foamboard Terrain: Whole & Ruined Buildings. Both of which are workshops that teach the basics of working with foamboard by building a piece of terrain. I think the cargo containers would be more useful in more settings though.

Normal
Small
Posted by veiled_mage

This will be my first Gen Con, so not sure what the usual mix is, but I would be interested in miniature painting-related classes.

Normal
Small
Posted by indyirish

How about an Xwing "Uglies" exibit/competition? Judging on uniqueness, originality, painting, cleanliness and detail. 
Ships must be made from all Xwing parts, no alteration parts made from non Xwing miniature material. 

Normal
Small
Posted by jaywhyewe helenbb

helenbb wrote:
vutpakdi wrote:
If you are interested in any of the MHE classes and can't register for the class, you have a good chance of getting into the class if you show up early with generics and politely ask the instructor to be on the waiting list.  Oftentimes, you can get in because someone doesn't show up or the instructor has enough materials to include an extra person or two.
For the last few years, my beginner classes have sold out during pre-registration, but for about 50% of the classes, I've had at least one no show.

Thank you, that's good to know! Last year was my first GenCon and there were so many events I wanted to do, but I wasn't able to get all of them. Still, when I couldn't get something, I would find something else. So given that I wasn't 'guaranteed' a spot, I had other events planned, which would have made it difficult to gamble with generics. I was tempted to drop into the Saturday night session, since I had no plans and figured that in the evening people might not show, but then I unexpectedly made it into the NASCRAG finals (it was a shock, since I had never played before and I had gone with a 'pick up' team) and suddenly Saturday night was taken!But I will definitely keep your words in mind if I am unable to get into a beginner painting class this year!

As a beginner painter, I highly recommend Ron Vutpakdi's classes. He is a great instructor and has lots of visual aids to help you better understand the process. I couldn't get a class through the events booking system last year (they sold out FAST), but was able to participate as a standby student with generic tickets. (Thanks again, Ron!)

Normal
Small
Posted by helenbb jaywhyewe

jaywhyewe wrote:
As a beginner painter, I highly recommend Ron Vutpakdi's classes. He is a great instructor and has lots of visual aids to help you better understand the process. I couldn't get a class through the events booking system last year (they sold out FAST), but was able to participate as a standby student with generic tickets. (Thanks again, Ron!)

Thanks for the recommendation!

Normal
Small
Posted by vutpakdi jaywhyewe

jaywhyewe wrote:
As a beginner painter, I highly recommend Ron Vutpakdi's classes. He is a great instructor and has lots of visual aids to help you better understand the process. I couldn't get a class through the events booking system last year (they sold out FAST), but was able to participate as a standby student with generic tickets. (Thanks again, Ron!)

Thank you for the kind words!

Normal
Small
Posted by amberholder

I would love some classes on creative basing. I never know what to do with my bases. 
Also maybe a build a display for your wall or something. Itd be cool to have a nice way to display minis. Maybe some terrain for it. 

Normal
Small
Posted by amberholder

Or an intro to painting with air guns?

Normal
Small
Posted by crusader77

I am really looking forward to doing a few terrain build and takes, as I am going to be building my first real tables in the years I've been gaming.

Normal
Small
Posted by truelink

Speedpainting. I missed it last year. :(

Normal
Small
Posted by crusader77

Although, just like amberholder, I would really like to build a display case for my minis

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.