OFFICIAL HOUSING QUESTIONS THREAD
(Pinned)
1 2 4 6 7 8
1 2 4 6 7 8
Posted by joelf847 ematuskey

ematuskey wrote:
Fair enough!  I hope your extra spending is at least rewarded with a low lottery number--I'll take slot #1, and you can have slot #2.  :D 
Ha!  If you could gaurantee me spot #2, then I'd happily cede you #1.

Posted by big12cowboys

I know this is probably a stupid question, but does IP address matter when getting lottery numbers?  Do my wife and I need to be at different locations to log in to the housing queue?

Posted by marimaccadmin big12cowboys

big12cowboys wrote:
I know this is probably a stupid question, but does IP address matter when getting lottery numbers?  Do my wife and I need to be at different locations to log in to the housing queue?

No, it is completely random.

Posted by sailornicole

When the Housing portal opens, how does it work once you are in? Do I type in the name of the hotel, or search by type of room, or hotel region (e.g. downtown, north, west, etc)?

Posted by marimaccadmin

So I think what would be most helpful to you would be to watch this video from 2015:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ydug1wOzCx4

I think all the info is still valid, but I'm going to review it now just in case.

Posted by marimaccadmin

Ok the only difference for this year is that you need to use a credit card that expires AFTER Gen Con.

Posted by lisakrich marimaccadmin

marimaccadmin wrote:
Ok the only difference for this year is that you need to use a credit card that expires AFTER Gen Con.
Thanks for posting that. First timer and was I wondering how it worked.

Posted by marimaccadmin

No problem, hope it helps! :)

Posted by hawkeye marimaccadmin

marimaccadmin wrote:
No problem, hope it helps! :)
Marimac, you may want to post that video in a new thread and make it sticky.

Posted by sfprincess

Are the parking fees for the downtown hotels per overnight or for the entire stay?  Do they generally have in and out privileges?

Posted by austicke sfprincess

sfprincess wrote:
Are the parking fees for the downtown hotels per overnight or for the entire stay?  Do they generally have in and out privileges?

Parking fees (overnight) are listing on the hotel page.

Posted by sailornicole marimaccadmin

marimaccadmin wrote:
So I think what would be most helpful to you would be to watch this video from 2015:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ydug1wOzCx4
I think all the info is still valid, but I'm going to review it now just in case.
Thank you! This is perfect!

Posted by powers209 marimaccadmin

marimaccadmin wrote:
god1801 wrote:
Is a priority assigned to people who purchase multiple badges?  For example person A buys 6 badges for himself and his family vs 6 other people who buy badges individually.  When assigned lottery numbers is a priority given to the person who bought more badges vs the people who buy less?
There is no number priority, all numbers are assigned completely randomly.  However,
Badge purchasers are allowed to book one hotel room for every 1-2 badges purchased.

• 1-2 badges = 1 room
  • 3-4 badges = 2 rooms
  • 5-7 badges = 3 rooms
  • 7+ badges = etc ...So someone who buys six badges can book three rooms.

Does the Extra room from the VIG badge count to this Limit? 

I only ask because I got 2 rooms with my VIG for me & the wife and the extra room for the kids. But I am getting 3 companion badges for my brothers and plan to book 2 more rooms for them. But if my 2nd VIG room which I already booked counts, the math doesn't work. I would have to return my Companion badge now and get 3 normal badges under another account. Which would be a hastle.

Posted by austicke powers209

powers209 wrote:
Does the Extra room from the VIG badge count to this Limit?  I only ask because I got 2 rooms with my VIG for me & the wife and the extra room for the kids. But I am getting 3 companion badges for my brothers and plan to book 2 more rooms for them. But if my 2nd VIG room which I already booked counts, the math doesn't work. I would have to return my Companion badge now and get 3 normal badges under another account. Which would be a hastle.

You cannot book a room using a VIG companion badge. You'll need to buy regular badges in order to enter the housing lottery tomorrow.

Gen Con 2016 VIG Program Details: "Note - Attendees wishing to be VIG companions AND book hotel rooms in the Gen Con housing block must purchase a 4-Day badge, and secure housing. After that, an eligible VIG may then purchase a 'VIG Companion Upgrade' for that attendee."

Posted by hawkeye

What our group did was buy regular 4 day badges, then go in and upgrade them to companion badges. This will allow the person to book a separate room. Going straight to a companion badge won't allow the person to book a room.

Posted by austicke hawkeye

hawkeye9723 wrote:
What our group did was buy regular 4 day badges, then go in and upgrade them to companion badges. This will allow the person to book a separate room. Going straight to a companion badge won't allow the person to book a room.

The above notice seems to indicate that your plan won't work; you can only secure housing before upgrading. 

Posted by sfprincess austicke

austicke wrote:
sfprincess wrote:

Parking fees (overnight) are listing on the hotel page.
Thanks for your prompt reply.  Yes, I did see this...  I guess I am wondering if each overnight is charged or just once.  For example, if parking overnight is $24, and you stay for 3 nights, parking total is $24 for the entire stay or $62 for the entire stay.  I'm thinking it is the latter based on your answer.

The other part to the question is if there are in and out privileges.  For example, if you are staying at a hotel as a guest and you leave to run an errand, will you be charged upon each exit from the parking garage?  Is there guaranteed parking for guests at most hotels, or if you leave, you're likely not getting back in?

Posted by austicke sfprincess

sfprincess wrote:Thanks for your prompt reply.  Yes, I did see this...  I guess I am wondering if each overnight is charged or just once.  For example, if parking overnight is $24, and you stay for 3 nights, parking total is $24 for the entire stay or $62 for the entire stay.  I'm thinking it is the latter based on your answer.The other part to the question is if there are in and out privileges.  For example, if you are staying at a hotel as a guest and you leave to run an errand, will you be charged upon each exit from the parking garage?  Is there guaranteed parking for guests at most hotels, or if you leave, you're likely not getting back in?

Yes, overnight means one night.

I'm no expert, but I would think the hotels would allow you to come and go as you please.

Posted by hawkeye austicke

austicke wrote:
hawkeye9723 wrote:

The above notice seems to indicate that your plan won't work; you can only secure housing before upgrading. 
It worked for us last year, and checking the housing page, it shows that I can in fact make a reservation. Possibly due to the fact that the system say I have a 4 day badge and a companion upgrade.

Posted by austicke hawkeye

hawkeye9723 wrote:
It worked for us last year, and checking the housing page, it shows that I can in fact make a reservation. Possibly due to the fact that the system say I have a 4 day badge and a companion upgrade.

That's good. I wouldn't be surprised if it works differently than documented.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
1 2 4 6 7 8
1 2 4 6 7 8