OFFICIAL HOUSING QUESTIONS THREAD
(Pinned)
1 3 5 6 7
1 3 5 6 7
online
Posted by marimaccadmin ayoung98683

ayoung98683 wrote:
I'm planning on buying the tickets for my group of 4 attendees. With 4 tickets, I plan on reserving 2 rooms and would want both rooms to be at the same hotel. With the sequential registration process, I'm worried that we may end up in two different hotels -- can you provide any guidance on how likely this is to occur, or strategies to mitigate?

All I can say is to be quick with entering your info, but everyone here is absolutely correct; while you'll be able to book two rooms, it is possible for you to book a room in one hotel and then have that hotel sell out before you can book the second.

Posted by ayoung98683

Ok, thanks for the info. I'm covered either way, as I already have a reservation at a walking-distance hotel. I'm just trying to set expectations for a possible cheaper-upgrade.

Posted by suburbaknght

Keep in mind, that once you have a downtown room it's a lot easier to trade for another downtown room.

Posted by dakota415

Are there any restrictions on using a debit card, or must the room be booked with a credit card?
Obviously ensuring it doesn't expire before the event.

online
Posted by marimaccadmin dakota415

dakota415 wrote:
Are there any restrictions on using a debit card, or must the room be booked with a credit card?
Obviously ensuring it doesn't expire before the event.
 If it's got a Visa or Mastercard logo, it's probably fine, but it can't be one of those visa gift card thingies, and it can't be just a bank ATM card.  If your bank told you it works just like a credit card, then it would be fine.

Posted by hawkeye

I've used a VISA branded Debit card in the past without any problems.

Posted by wildcat78

Is there any special procedure for getting upgraded to a suite in your hotel - willing to pay the extra difference in room rates.

Please advise.

bk

Posted by hawkeye wildcat78

wildcat78 wrote:
Is there any special procedure for getting upgraded to a suite in your hotel - willing to pay the extra difference in room rates.
Please advise.
bk
I believe you will need to wait until the reservations have been transfered to the hotel and then you can contac them directly.

Posted by fjpicone

<sigh> Had a question. Found the answer. Should've RTFWP.
Thanks anyway.

Posted by fjpicone

I would humbly suggest that the TTB add a "Housing Registration - January 24, at noon (Eastern)" blurb onto the blue "Discover Gen Con" logo.
It doesn't seem ddistinct from the badge registration as is.

online
Posted by marimaccadmin hawkeye

hawkeye9723 wrote:
wildcat78 wrote:
Is there any special procedure for getting upgraded to a suite in your hotel - willing to pay the extra difference in room rates.
Please advise.
bk
I believe you will need to wait until the reservations have been transfered to the hotel and then you can contac them directly.

If you are talking about a situation where you are looking for one of the "fancy special" suites that a hotel only has a few of, and not, for instance, a hotel that has a lot of them, like Embassy Suites, those "fancy special" suites are not in the Gen Con hotel block.

Posted by clvogelmann

Hi all -

I apologize if I'm being a little bit dense, but: I just got my badge, and clicked on the housing page. My interpretation of what is going to happen on Sunday is: The clock will tick down to zero as it approaches noon (EST), then a SECOND countdown will begin, but the length of the second countdown will be different for each person, based on some kind of a lottery system. Once the second countdown ends, then we'll be able to enter the housing system and book a room - if there's anything left.

Is this correct?

Posted by joelf847

Not sure of a better place for this, but wanted to voice my opinion.  I think it's a poor customer experience to a) require all attendees to buy their badges separately to maximze the chances of a good housing lotto number and b) charge $10 for delivery for each badge purchased separately.  The $10 delivery fee should be able to be shared between badges going to the same address while still getting separate lotto numbers. 

Can there be an option added before shipment to combine shipment of badges and refund the duplicate shipping fees?  (and for this refund it should be at full price, since it's for shipping that won't be purchased in the first place).

online
Posted by marimaccadmin clvogelmann

clvogelmann wrote:
Hi all -
I apologize if I'm being a little bit dense, but: I just got my badge, and clicked on the housing page. My interpretation of what is going to happen on Sunday is: The clock will tick down to zero as it approaches noon (EST), then a SECOND countdown will begin, but the length of the second countdown will be different for each person, based on some kind of a lottery system. Once the second countdown ends, then we'll be able to enter the housing system and book a room - if there's anything left.
Is this correct?

No you're not being dense at all, and that's absolutely correct. :)

Posted by kjelstad

Is there any reason the other blocks (exhibitor, vig, etc.) go live on sunday as well?   I don't know how much stress it would relieve but it seems silly to have everyone trying to log in at once.  I suppose it is miniscule.  

online
Posted by marimaccadmin kjelstad

kjelstad wrote:
Is there any reason the other blocks (exhibitor, vig, etc.) go live on sunday as well?   I don't know how much stress it would relieve but it seems silly to have everyone trying to log in at once.  I suppose it is miniscule.  

Who said the other blocks go live on Sunday?

Posted by ematuskey joelf847

joelf847 wrote:
Not sure of a better place for this, but wanted to voice my opinion.  I think it's a poor customer experience to a) require all attendees to buy their badges separately to maximze the chances of a good housing lotto number and b) charge $10 for delivery for each badge purchased separately.  The $10 delivery fee should be able to be shared between badges going to the same address while still getting separate lotto numbers. 
Can there be an option added before shipment to combine shipment of badges and refund the duplicate shipping fees?  (and for this refund it should be at full price, since it's for shipping that won't be purchased in the first place).
For the record, you're not required to buy all your badges separately--you're choosing to, to maximize your chances.  As such, and as a single-badge buyer myself, I think it's perfectly fair to charge full price for large groups that spread their purchases out like that--you're paying for your increased odds of "beating" the lottery. 

Posted by joelf847 ematuskey

ematuskey wrote:
joelf847 wrote:
Not sure of a better place for this, but wanted to voice my opinion.  I think it's a poor customer experience to a) require all attendees to buy their badges separately to maximze the chances of a good housing lotto number and b) charge $10 for delivery for each badge purchased separately.  The $10 delivery fee should be able to be shared between badges going to the same address while still getting separate lotto numbers. 
Can there be an option added before shipment to combine shipment of badges and refund the duplicate shipping fees?  (and for this refund it should be at full price, since it's for shipping that won't be purchased in the first place).
For the record, you're not required to buy all your badges separately--you're choosing to, to maximize your chances.  As such, and as a single-badge buyer myself, I think it's perfectly fair to charge full price for large groups that spread their purchases out like that--you're paying for your increased odds of "beating" the lottery. 
I get that.  I still think it's a crappy customer experience - by paying more for something that should be the same price.  It's certainly a better financial experience for Gen Con, which is exactly why it's not a good one for customers.  For that matter, it's slightly worse for exhibitors - the more attendees spend on getting to the con, the less we have to spend on games.

Posted by ematuskey

Fair enough!  I hope your extra spending is at least rewarded with a low lottery number--I'll take slot #1, and you can have slot #2.  :D 

online
Posted by marimaccadmin

You could also, of course, just select Will Call for all the badges and avoid any shipping fees.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
1 3 5 6 7
1 3 5 6 7