My annual list of Gen Con Survival Tips
Posted by bpardoe870

Yes, it's that time of the year again.  New tips have been added to the bottom.  Enjoy!  

https://blainepardoe.wordpress.com/2017/07/22/my-2017-gen-con-survival-tips/

Blaine Pardoe

Posted by austicke

Blaine, FYI, you fixed the text address but not the underlying URL link. Clicking doesn't work.

Posted by bpardoe870

My bad.  I think it's fixed.  If not, here it is again.  

Blaine

Posted by austicke

Now works like a charm. :)

Posted by lore seeker

"Slip in some snacks because let’s face it, convention food is expensive and sucks."

I dunno - I've never had any complaints about the ICC food. Expensive, yeah, but I guess I just expect that.

"Be prepared for the rush to the main hall when it opens.  Yes, when the balloon goes up and they open the doors to the sales floor, it is a geek equivalent to the running of the bulls in Spain (albeit a little safer)."

From what I've heard, I'd describe it more as a Black Friday stampede (though as far as I know, nobody's ever been trampled to death during a GenCon Main Hall opening).

"Play some things you never have before."

YES! Starting last year, I've made it a point to play at least one new (for me) RPG. Last year it was Eclipse Phase; this year it's 7th Sea: Second Edition.

Posted by bpardoe870

I'm trying out the Star Trek Adventures game myself.  Having written stuff for the original FASA game, I'm looking forward to the new one.  

Blaine

Posted by garhkal lore seeker

father bloodlust wrote:
"Slip in some snacks because let’s face it, convention food is expensive and sucks."
I dunno - I've never had any complaints about the ICC food. Expensive, yeah, but I guess I just expect that.
"Be prepared for the rush to the main hall when it opens.  Yes, when the balloon goes up and they open the doors to the sales floor, it is a geek equivalent to the running of the bulls in Spain (albeit a little safer)."
From what I've heard, I'd describe it more as a Black Friday stampede (though as far as I know, nobody's ever been trampled to death during a GenCon Main Hall opening).

And hearing some of the 'opening bell black friday sale FIGHTS and other horror stories, Gencon's opening the hall doors for the Exhibitor hall, SHOULDN'T be that bad, even with 65K people..

As for the ICC food, its not just the price i've heard some complain about, but its blandness in flavor..  Though those Chilly bread bowls, i've heard good things about..

Posted by jpederso

Thanks for posting the link to the survival page.  I have friends coming for the first time and this link will be very helpful.  I like the light hearted tone.  

Posted by ubermx bpardoe870

bpardoe870 wrote:
My bad.  I think it's fixed.  If not, here it is again.  
Blaine
 thanks for posting this always look forward to reading it before the con. 

Posted by aaronmlopez bpardoe870

bpardoe870 wrote:
Yes, it's that time of the year again.  New tips have been added to the bottom.  Enjoy!  
Blaine Pardoe

Thanks for the list again! I read it every year. One thing I would add to your personal hygiene section: Wear an undershirt UNDER your black t-shirt. You will stay cooler And it helps contain more of your funk. (And please... change the undershirt every day as well... ) 

Posted by ubermx aaronmlopez

aaronmlopez wrote:
bpardoe870 wrote:
Blaine Pardoe

Thanks for the list again! I read it every year. One thing I would add to your personal hygiene section: Wear an undershirt UNDER your black t-shirt. You will stay cooler And it helps contain more of your funk. (And please... change the undershirt every day as well... ) 
double xp if the undershirt is black?

Posted by njseahawksfan

"#5:  If you’re going to be one of those people who stop in the middle of a crowd to take a picture of the booth-babe wearing a chain mail bikini, do it quickly and don’t clog up the corridor."

It is against the GenCon Terms of Service to do this, actually

"Attendees may not block aisles or walkways, impede movement, or disrupt the convention for photo-taking or recording purposes"

Posted by dragongears njseahawksfan

njseahawksfan wrote:
"#5:  If you’re going to be one of those people who stop in the middle of a crowd to take a picture of the booth-babe wearing a chain mail bikini, do it quickly and don’t clog up the corridor."
"Attendees may not block aisles or walkways, impede movement, or disrupt the convention for photo-taking or recording purposes"

But it is perfectly acceptable to block aisles or walkways, impede movement, or disrupt the convention for any other purposes.

Posted by divachelle dragongears

dragongears wrote:
njseahawksfan wrote:

But it is perfectly acceptable to block aisles or walkways, impede movement, or disrupt the convention for any other purposes.
It's a poorly written rule, to be sure.

Posted by wendel

Survival Tips;

Take a bath daily
Use deodorant
Take a one-a-day vitamin each day
Rest up the week before the convention
Bring and use hand sanitizer
Bring a small packet of toilet paper (the bathrooms will run out)
Eat and drink regularly
Relax, there will be lines and crowds

Be nice to others and have fun!

Posted by quarex

Survival tips:

Immediately hide/block/unfollow any conversation about etiquette, lobbyconning, or lanyards.

Posted by aaronmlopez

Axe body spray does NOT count as a shower/bath substitute.... And does not up your appeal to any of the booth babes.... (Probably lowers it, actually)

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.