4 day badges
Posted by ziroc

Do the 4 day badges sell out quickly?

Posted by bugwar

No.

Posted by noone

No there s no limit so they never sell out.

Posted by lore seeker

Nope, it's not like that "Big Bang Theory" where they all get together and keep hitting refresh in the hope of one of them getting their tickets.

That was housing block sign-up during the old days :)

Posted by ifandbut

I just realized how they do the housing stuff (which sucks cause a friend from Aus woke up at 3am thinking housing was opening at the same time). I like how they do it, just wish it was more obvious on the main site.

Also, I wish other conventions would do a similar thing *cough*PAX*cough*.

Posted by turbostar

I heard rumblings about reach max capacity this year for the 50th anniversary.  Is this a potential problem for Saturday and their single day passes?

Posted by andrewj.rager turbostar

turbostar wrote:
I heard rumblings about reach max capacity this year for the 50th anniversary.  Is this a potential problem for Saturday and their single day passes?
It was busy last year. But the ICC, LOS, & the surrounding hotels are so big. "Max capacity" would be extremely surprising. It will probably be uncomfortably packed, but I doubt they get close to max capacity. But who knows!

Posted by bugwar turbostar

turbostar wrote:
I think the 2016 convention had about as many attendees as the year previous to it.
Possibly this year will also top out at about 60k, but that as in all things is only my opinion.

Posted by aldctjoc

Hmmm, that's weird... this is only a few minutes of Googlewhacking, but I can't find a fire code "maximum occupancy" figure for the ICC (yes, I know that convention capacity would include more than the ICC itself, it'd include the areas in LOS, the hotels, etc.... but I was looking for a starting point). The ICC's facility guide convention seating capacities for Lucas Oil Stadium (top figure: 63000), but that's seating, not a moving, partially transient crowd. 

There's no information for "occupuant load", "maximum capacity", "legal capacity" or even "egress capacity" (because I believe that factors into the figure... someone into structural engineering can correct me on that if I'm wrong). When I look up "total capacity", I get returns on square footage figures for rooms.

I'm at a loss. I'm not taking that hard of a whack at it... I'm just Googling, after all... but I don't know how to find out what the maximum number of humans is that the ICC is limited to. All I find are things like how to calculate such figures, or links to relevant codes:

• http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2014/08/maximum-occupancy-building-calculated/
  • https://community.nfpa.org/community/nfpa-today/blog/2016/08/05/nfpa-1-occupant-load-vs-egress-capacity-why-these-numbers-are-so-important-to-our-safety-firecodefridays

... And to be honest, I don't feel like doing the work to figure it out myself. :)

Well, anyway, I took a shot at it. If anyone finds out what exactly that max capacity is, feel free to point it out. I'm stumped.

Posted by roanders

The San Diego Convention Center is 2.6M sq ft, and the ICC is 1.3M sq ft.  SDCC usually caps attendance around 130k, so half of that would be only 65k?  

Surely there are other factors, but I'm wondering if something like 80-100k might be an actual limit?

Posted by aldctjoc

That's not a bad Fermi estimate. But the problem is not knowing what factors truly matter. From the links above and what very little my non-engineering self has read, there's some sort of relationship between the ability to GTFO of a building and the mandated limits i.e. the maximum occupancy. 

So from that, I can foolishly dare to push the extrapolation further ;). And say that it doesn't sound out of bounds to hypothesize two buildings with similar load capacities having very different occupancy limits due to doorway sizes, size and number of passageways to exits, etc. 

But what do I know? I shouldn't be engineering more than a model train set. But seriously, making a guess based on square footage is probably not a bad starting point. We at least get a feel for the ballpark the figure is likely to be in.

Posted by feebert

As far as capacity numbers go, I found this:

https://www.icclos.com/pdf/ICCLOS_FacilityGuide_JAN_2012.pdf

Section 11.1 shows capacity for each area of the ICC.

Posted by remnant turbostar

turbostar wrote:
Getting to an event I don't think you'll have issues as long as you can procur the event ticket when event registration goes live.  Getting a room for only Saturday night... *shrugs*.

@Aldctjoc I'm unsure what you're trying to say or ask.  Please clarify.  Also keep in mind Gen Con Events could be in the ICC, Lucas Stadium, one of the hotels around the ICC or someplace else like the Sun King Brewery tour.

Posted by aaronmlopez

Well... Lucas Oil Stadium has 70k seats so I imagine that it alone has around a 100k max capacity as far as the Fire Marshall is concerned. Since part of Gen Con will be there as well, I do not foresee a max capacity issue at the ICC. This years attendance may be up some due to it being the 50th, but it may also be down because the dates for this years convention lie so close to school start days which may inhibit parents and teachers from attending all four days. 

Posted by austicke aaronmlopez

aaronmlopez wrote:Well... Lucas Oil Stadium has 70k seats so I imagine that it alone has around a 100k max capacity as far as the Fire Marshall is concerned. 

But Gen Con won't be using the stadium seats. They'll be using the stadium field and the conference rooms.

Posted by aldctjoc remnant

remnant wrote:@Aldctjoc I'm unsure what you're trying to say or ask.  Please clarify.  Also keep in mind Gen Con Events could be in the ICC, Lucas Stadium, one of the hotels around the ICC or someplace else like the Sun King Brewery tour.

I wasn't asking anything. My posts were nothing more than musings about the data I found when trying to figure out the ICC's full capacity. As I noted in my post, I am very much aware that Gen Con maximum capacity would not be limited by just the main convention center building. But again: That was a starting point to see what I could find. Since I put in a little bit of effort, I figured I'd share what I found in case someone else found it interesting. That's the only reason I posted. 

Posted by aldctjoc feebert

feebert wrote:
As far as capacity numbers go, I found this:
https://www.icclos.com/pdf/ICCLOS_FacilityGuide_JAN_2012.pdf
Section 11.1 shows capacity for each area of the ICC.

Hmm, yeah, that's a good guide. I skipped over that part when I found that PDF, and that was an obvious mistake on my part. 

Granted, that's seating capacity of individual rooms, and doesn't exactly speak to overall capacity, but I don't mean that as a criticism. Rather, it's just an observation of what it actually is. It is a pretty good ballpark, IMO. Thanks for pointing it out. Next time, I should read things better. :)

Posted by aldctjoc austicke

austicke wrote:
aaronmlopez wrote:Well... Lucas Oil Stadium has 70k seats so I imagine that it alone has around a 100k max capacity as far as the Fire Marshall is concerned. 

But Gen Con won't be using the stadium seats. They'll be using the stadium field and the conference rooms.

Isn't it weird how non-obvious the answer probably is? It makes me realize that, even if there's a hard number written down someplace that's calculated for fire safety purposes, the real world calculation of building capacity is not a straightforward thing. 

Granted, I know it's ultimately unimportant to folks like us. If there really was a looming capacity issue, the ICCLOS management would talk to Gen Con, and measures would taken (or at least proposed). And we would simply find out about it in the news, or in some announcement about badge availability or something like that. So in the end, it's just an intellectual exercise. But it is mildly interesting (at least to me!) as an abstract topic.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.