Big old sinkhole in downtown Indianapolis.
Normal
Small
Posted by lord thrifty the cromulent

A big sinkhole just opened up at the intersection of Pennsylvania Street and Ohio Street. This is a few blocks from the convention center.  It's right outside my office so me and a bunch of co-workers gathered in a conference room to gawk at it from several stories above the ground.  It looks like Ohio and Pennsylvania are both closed in that section and traffic is detoured around it.

Naturally, public works is gonna give this their top priority, but with GenCon only 26 days away, it may impact some of you.  I don't know how long these things take to fix.

Actually, it's not very wide.  But it is pretty deep.  It's elliptical, about 3 feet on the major axis and 1 foot on the minor axis.

Normal
Small
Posted by trace_sl

Some of us are just using it to come up from the Underdark :) 

Normal
Small
Posted by garhkal

Yeouzers.  That might put a crimp in going to some of the parking structures!

Normal
Small
Posted by bakermouse10133

On the news last night they said it would take 2 days to fix, but weather may affect that timeline. 

Normal
Small
Posted by traveller

This is the sinkhole in Indy.  https://cbs4indy.com/2018/07/05/crews-hope-to-have-sinkhole-in-downtown-indy-repaired-by-saturday/

http://www.bkmag.com/2014/06/19/a-big-sinkhole-opened-up-in-williamsburg/

Normal
Small

You can see a bit where a little extra asphalt is ready to crumble.  I took a look just now and it looks like it's bigger.  That might be intentional as part of the repair process.  I wish I had brought my camera to take a picture from upstairs.

They say the cause is a 100 year old brick sewer pipe that collapsed.

Normal
Small
Posted by aldctjoc lord thrifty the cromulent

mstabosz wrote:A big sinkhole just opened up at the intersection of Pennsylvania Street and Ohio Street. This is a few blocks from the convention center...

...Naturally, public works is gonna give this their top priority, but with GenCon only 26 days away, it may impact some of you.  I don't know how long these things take to fix.

Google Maps places it northeast of Monument Circle; that's the correct intersection, right? Yeah, it's not that far from the ICC. That said, it's not like it's right next door either, thankfully. Three blocks east and three blocks north, more or less. I'm hoping it's far enough to not affect traffic much, but I'm a bit concerned myself. If there is still a detour around it come August, yeah, that can cause a mess downtown. :(

Here's to fixin' that thing, quick! 

Normal
Small
Posted by lord thrifty the cromulent aldctjoc

aldctjoc wrote:
mstabosz wrote:A big sinkhole just opened up at the intersection of Pennsylvania Street and Ohio Street. This is a few blocks from the convention center......Naturally, public works is gonna give this their top priority, but with GenCon only 26 days away, it may impact some of you.  I don't know how long these things take to fix.

Google Maps places it northeast of Monument Circle; that's the correct intersection, right? Yeah, it's not that far from the ICC. That said, it's not like it's right next door either, thankfully. Three blocks east and three blocks north, more or less. I'm hoping it's far enough to not affect traffic much, but I'm a bit concerned myself. If there is still a detour around it come August, yeah, that can cause a mess downtown. :(Here's to fixin' that thing, quick! 

Monument Circle is a block away from my office, but I guess I never thought of it in terms of compass directions.  I'm walking south down Pennsylvania since that goes in the direction of my home.  So I guess my office, and the sinkhole, are indeed 1 block north and 1 block east of Monument Circle.

They've got a dump truck full of what looks like sinkhole waste there right now.  They expanded it a little for the purposes of the repairs.  There's a ladder leading down there and a cherry picker for some purpose.

Normal
Small
Posted by hahnarama

WTHR said it's going take a week at best to fix the beast of a-hole 

Normal
Small
Posted by garhkal

At least no cars fell in!

Normal
Small
Posted by geezer

Just some information on sinkholes.  This is probably caused by a leaking water or sewer pipe.  However, if it is caused by a karst (limestone) cavity, to fix it permanently they will have to dig down to the bedrock cavity and seal it off (bridge it or add an inverted filter (large rock, geotextile, smaller rock, geotextile, and so on to the surface).  That could take more time.  However, from the estimate of 2 days, I am guessing leaking water pipe, which they will repair, then recover and repave it.  This is a very common occurrence.

Normal
Small
Posted by hahnarama

Real test will be this Friday when Black Expo kicks off

Normal
Small
Posted by lord thrifty the cromulent geezer

geezer wrote:
Just some information on sinkholes.  This is probably caused by a leaking water or sewer pipe.  However, if it is caused by a karst (limestone) cavity, to fix it permanently they will have to dig down to the bedrock cavity and seal it off (bridge it or add an inverted filter (large rock, geotextile, smaller rock, geotextile, and so on to the surface).  That could take more time.  However, from the estimate of 2 days, I am guessing leaking water pipe, which they will repair, then recover and repave it.  This is a very common occurrence.
They say it was caused by an old brick sewer line that collapsed.

Repairs are still ongoing.  They widened the hole a bit to facilitate the repairs.  It looks like a square about 8 feet on each side.

Normal
Small

It looks like they're finishing up the repairs.  The hole is all full of concrete now.  I'm not sure what all they did to fix it.  I guess maybe they just put up some sort of walls underground and filled a little pit with a big concrete column.

Normal
Small
Posted by hahnarama

FYI a NEW sinkhole hss been found at intersection of Illinois and Maryland. 

Best to watch your step this year 

Normal
Small
Posted by robbo lord thrifty the cromulent

What time is that event being held? Do they take generics?

Normal
Small
Posted by buffythecatslayer hahnarama

hahnarama wrote:FYI a NEW sinkhole hss been found at intersection of Illinois and Maryland. 

Really, WTF is going on with that city?  It’s Indiana, not Florida. 

Normal
Small
Posted by hahnarama

so just saw the local news.....they found it during a routine inspection.... the road top is still in place but there is a 12-20 foot deep hole underneath the extends out in a 12 ft radius.  The fear with this one was the blacktop would collapse and there would be instant death

The issue is the 107 year old sewer system aka Red brick is decades beyond it's life span

Normal
Small
Posted by lord thrifty the cromulent hahnarama

hahnarama wrote:
FYI a NEW sinkhole hss been found at intersection of Illinois and Maryland. 

Oh God.  This is worse than the potholes.  I have to move out of this city before it kills me.

Normal
Small
Posted by aldctjoc robbo

robbo wrote:What time is that event being held? Do they take generics?

The sinkhole? My understanding is that you just walk in... ;)

Sign in to write a new post. New Post