When will further announcment be made?
Posted by fethbone squirecam

squirecam wrote:
mikeboozer wrote:
squirecam wrote:
With all due respect Mike, I have attended Gencon since 2004 and the various policies have been enforced differently depending upon the time of day, the amount of people, and the employee doing the monitoring/enforcement.
Given the past history, it is not unreasonable to ask whether this health and safety policy will be strictly enforced, or not.
I realize the question may be uncomfortable for you to answer. But it's not an unreasonable question. 

We will have to agree to disagree.We take our policies and procedures seriously with the added onus that we are talking about a health and safety policy here. 
But I have no idea what you may mean by strictly enforced, if the expectation is that we will be able to monitor all people at all times then that is unreasonable.
Mike
So I run a game on thursday and a person wants to play that isnt wearing a mask. Is there a procedure to get this enforced. What if the player is making a scene?What if all my players are good but the group at the table nearby wont wear masks. Is there as procedure for this?
These situations require active enforcement to deal with. Unless the answer is you cant/wont do anything. In which case there is no mask mandate.
If you are going to mandate masks you are going to have to enforce it. 
squirecam wrote:
mikeboozer wrote:
squirecam wrote:
With all due respect Mike, I have attended Gencon since 2004 and the various policies have been enforced differently depending upon the time of day, the amount of people, and the employee doing the monitoring/enforcement.
Given the past history, it is not unreasonable to ask whether this health and safety policy will be strictly enforced, or not.
I realize the question may be uncomfortable for you to answer. But it's not an unreasonable question. 

We will have to agree to disagree.We take our policies and procedures seriously with the added onus that we are talking about a health and safety policy here. 
But I have no idea what you may mean by strictly enforced, if the expectation is that we will be able to monitor all people at all times then that is unreasonable.
Mike
So I run a game on thursday and a person wants to play that isnt wearing a mask. Is there a procedure to get this enforced. What if the player is making a scene?What if all my players are good but the group at the table nearby wont wear masks. Is there as procedure for this?
These situations require active enforcement to deal with. Unless the answer is you cant/wont do anything. In which case there is no mask mandate.
If you are that concerned about enforcement and mask compliance, the safest option would be to stay home this year and participate in virtual GenCon.

Posted by mikeboozer fethbone

fethbone wrote:
squirecam wrote:
mikeboozer wrote:
squirecam wrote:

Mike
squirecam wrote:
mikeboozer wrote:
squirecam wrote:

Mike
If you are that concerned about enforcement and mask compliance, the safest option would be to stay home this year and participate in virtual GenCon.

Close the loop means for everyone please! There is no use discussing the particulars as we have not worked them out beyond our usual ones.

Mike

Posted by adcjones squirecam

Again! We are done with this particular conversation adcjones

Mike

Posted by adcjones

Dude, Mike, take a chill pill.  I'm with you on this.  Close the discussion down if you don't want this thread to be discussed.  

Jeez, who woulda thought a "discussion board" was somewhere things are....discussed?

Posted by mikeboozer adcjones

adcjones wrote:
Dude, Mike, take a chill pill.  I'm with you on this.  Close the discussion down if you don't want this thread to be discussed.  
Jeez, who woulda thought a "discussion board" was somewhere things are....discussed?

The thread is about further announcements being made.  

The only part of the discussion I'm closing down is the back and forth about if we will enforce our policies. 

No need to close down the thread at this point, it is just off topic. 

So get back on topic please.

Mike

Posted by insane

when can we expect a further announcement being made about future announcements regarding the announcements pertaining to announcements?

Posted by njseahawksfan insane

insane wrote:
when can we expect a further announcement being made about future announcements regarding the announcements pertaining to announcements?

I am expecting an announcement about this soon...

Posted by mikeboozer njseahawksfan

njseahawksfan wrote:
insane wrote:

I am expecting an announcement about this soon...

Yes, except we will probably not make an announcement that we are making an announcement but just make the announcement.

And you can expect one soon. But not too soon and not too much later. 

I feel like I'm in a Mel Brooks movie..."when will then be now? Soon!  ....how soon?"

Mike

Posted by jimdigris

Are you sure that isn't Monty Python?  Or even a Leslie Nielsen movie?

Posted by xanathon jimdigris

jimdigris wrote:
That's from Spaceballs and I agree.  I think the line that is best fitting is We are surrounded by _______ lol.  I am one that would like to have some information, but I get that it is not readily available right now.  Since I have attended 20 consecutive Gen Con conventions I want to know if it would be better for me to roll my bade to 2022 or to attend this year.  I want to attend as life would feel normal, but on the other hand I don't want to attend if its not going to be what I have come to expect from Gen Con.  If there isn't going to be the exhibitor hall that I have come to expect it will be a let down as if there is not the usual selection of games to participate in.

I know its difficult as this is a fluid situation, but its also difficult for the potential attendees as we just want to know what we can expect.

Posted by mikeboozer xanathon

xanathon wrote:
jimdigris wrote:
That's from Spaceballs and I agree.  I think the line that is best fitting is We are surrounded by _______ lol.  I am one that would like to have some information, but I get that it is not readily available right now.  Since I have attended 20 consecutive Gen Con conventions I want to know if it would be better for me to roll my bade to 2022 or to attend this year.  I want to attend as life would feel normal, but on the other hand I don't want to attend if its not going to be what I have come to expect from Gen Con.  If there isn't going to be the exhibitor hall that I have come to expect it will be a let down as if there is not the usual selection of games to participate in.I know its difficult as this is a fluid situation, but its also difficult for the potential attendees as we just want to know what we can expect.

Here is what we know announcement wise.

The last day to roll over a badge is May 16th.

A limited number of badges will go on sale this year. If you rolled over your badge we intend to honor it. If we couldn't do that there would be no badges going on sale right?

It will be a different year for Gen Con. How different remains to be seen. So you should not expect it to be the same as past years. It's a new adventure for this year for whoever wants to take part!

We will have an Exhibit Hall and you can expect that some companies will choose to be there and some will choose not to. We expect the exhibit hall to feel similar to past years but with more crowd management. We will see some new exhibitors as well.

Too many things are unknown as we are still too far out to even guess how different it will be.

Mike

Posted by urielblue mikeboozer

mikeboozer wrote:
xanathon wrote:
jimdigris wrote:
That's from Spaceballs and I agree.  I think the line that is best fitting is We are surrounded by _______ lol.  I am one that would like to have some information, but I get that it is not readily available right now.  Since I have attended 20 consecutive Gen Con conventions I want to know if it would be better for me to roll my bade to 2022 or to attend this year.  I want to attend as life would feel normal, but on the other hand I don't want to attend if its not going to be what I have come to expect from Gen Con.  If there isn't going to be the exhibitor hall that I have come to expect it will be a let down as if there is not the usual selection of games to participate in.I know its difficult as this is a fluid situation, but its also difficult for the potential attendees as we just want to know what we can expect.

Here is what we know announcement wise.The last day to roll over a badge is May 16th.
A limited number of badges will go on sale this year. If you rolled over your badge we intend to honor it. If we couldn't do that there would be no badges going on sale right?
It will be a different year for Gen Con. How different remains to be seen. So you should not expect it to be the same as past years. It's a new adventure for this year for whoever wants to take part!
We will have an Exhibit Hall and you can expect that some companies will choose to be there and some will choose not to. We expect the exhibit hall to feel similar to past years but with more crowd management. We will see some new exhibitors as well.
Too many things are unknown as we are still too far out to even guess how different it will be.
Mike
Hey Mike, Firstly, thanks for taking the time to answer the gamut of questions, from enraged to hopeful/fingers-crossed ones.
If the last rollover day is May 16th, will you folks have a solid list of attending companies and realistic approximation of expected numbers/events by then? I'm sure that this would affect many folks' decision. I'd love to attend, and my Vaccination  cycle will be over around May 18th, but I'm unsure if finances and/or the general level of safety will meet with what I feel comfortable with (Diabetes and asthma, so yeah...even at 90% saving throw, if i *so* catch it, I'm pretty screwed). If we miss the rollover date, will we still be able to just turn our ticket into a system credit for 2022?
Thanks again for taking the time to moderate these boards, and to answer my query.

-Ron

Posted by mikeboozer urielblue

urielblue wrote:
mikeboozer wrote:
xanathon wrote:
jimdigris wrote:

Here is what we know announcement wise.The last day to roll over a badge is May 16th.
Mike
Hey Mike, Firstly, thanks for taking the time to answer the gamut of questions, from enraged to hopeful/fingers-crossed ones.
If the last rollover day is May 16th, will you folks have a solid list of attending companies and realistic approximation of expected numbers/events by then? I'm sure that this would affect many folks' decision. I'd love to attend, and my Vaccination  cycle will be over around May 18th, but I'm unsure if finances and/or the general level of safety will meet with what I feel comfortable with (Diabetes and asthma, so yeah...even at 90% saving throw, if i *so* catch it, I'm pretty screwed). If we miss the rollover date, will we still be able to just turn our ticket into a system credit for 2022?
Thanks again for taking the time to moderate these boards, and to answer my query.-Ron

I doubt we will have a list of companies attending by then. Some companies won't even know if they can attend by that date. The same holds true for events.

The situation is just too fluid to provide any concrete information by then.  

You will be able to get system credit for your badge if you wish past that date or refund your badge for that matter up until fulfillment starts (TBD).

The purpose of the roll over is to give attendees who have decided they do not want to attend this year for sure to move their badge to next year. Sadly it really does not help those of you still on the fence.

Mike

Posted by urielblue mikeboozer

mikeboozer wrote:
urielblue wrote:
mikeboozer wrote:
xanathon wrote:
jimdigris wrote:

Mike
Thanks again for taking the time to moderate these boards, and to answer my query.-Ron

I doubt we will have a list of companies attending by then. Some companies won't even know if they can attend by that date. The same holds true for events.The situation is just too fluid to provide any concrete information by then.  
You will be able to get system credit for your badge if you wish past that date or refund your badge for that matter up until fulfillment starts (TBD).
The purpose of the roll over is to give attendees who have decided they do not want to attend this year for sure to move their badge to next year. Sadly it really does not help those of you still on the fence.
Mike

Oh, I'm not *really* on the fence, I want to attend, barring my (Lack of) finances precluding it at this point. ;)

Posted by mu skulls frank

Whatever the news and whenever it comes, the MU Skulls are planning on running some games at Gen Con 2021, live and if that's not an option, just like last year, we'll run them online. I've run in the crazy bowels of Buck's Stadium in Milwaukee when I had to move the game table for a forklift and I've crashed 747s from Baghdad airport into M1 tanks to win modern Micro Armor in a stalemate, so it ain't over now. Like Space Marine Gunny Sgt Highway told me when we were out of ammo in the battle of Khorne-ada, "We adapt, we overcome." 

Posted by thesuperskrull mikeboozer

mikeboozer wrote:Here is what we know announcement wise.The last day to roll over a badge is May 16th.
Mike

Any idea roughly how many badges might be on sale? And when?

I ask because the change in dates means I might not be able to go all 4 days. And that leads into my other question. Can we roll our currently purchased badge forward (a 4 day badge in this case) to next year and buy a badge for Saturday and/or Sunday for this year? Or will the system not allow that? Trying to figure out my options before that cut off date.

Posted by felwred

Please relax all. Mike and GenCon are doing their best with limited information.

Nobody know what the condition on the ground will be in September. Will we be at 80% vaccination or higher where we might end community spread? What will the new variants look like? Will they have breakthrough infections by then overcoming the vaccines entirely? Will Pfizer’s or Moderna’s vaccines be approved for kids 2-12 by then? Which borders will be open for travel without quarantine? How will the pandemic impact union or city rules for build and tear down of elements of the show like the vendor hall? A hundred other questions are out there.

Dreamforce is three times GenCon’s size and generates 50X the revenue and doesn’t have any of the answers you are trying to pin Mike down on right now. Dreamforce happens 2 days after GenCon this year and completely takes over San Francisco in a state with more consistent and reliable regulatory/health and safety environment.

Badges are going on sale in a few weeks. If you decide not to go, you can roll them over for the next year. It’s $100. If you can’t afford to float that for a year, you shouldn’t be going to a convention.

When the hotel blocks open up, you are only putting a refundable deposit down. Again, if you can’t float that, don’t go.

Anyone who decides to get a badge knows the show may not even happen this year. That’s life today. No group event is set in stone during a historic pandemic.

As for event submission - if your event requires so much work that can’t be redirected to another year, this isn’t the con for you.

Assuming the con happens, a lot of the big companies will likely be there. True Dungeon is planning to be there (likely Hall D since Lucas probably won’t be available due to Colts games). Novo Ordus will be there. I would be shocked if Dave and Baldman Games aren’t there. Paizo has said they plan to be there (tentatively because future conditions are unknown). Those groups combined and you have a decent convention. Any could pull out while others may be added. 

Point being - we won’t know specifics about the Covid situation until July/August. For now, reserve your badges and hotels and hope for the best. If you don’t like how it looks, don’t go. Have a contingency plan for your time off to go do something else fun that week if GC is not a good fit.

Fred

Posted by boute001

Best comment ever^^^^ I could not add enough likes to your thoughts Fred!!!!

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.