new health update:
( Locked)
21 22 23 25 27 28 29
21 22 23 25 27 28 29
Posted by donaldbain mnemosyn

mnemosyn wrote:
Any masking or vaccine requirement is Lysenkoism.  Gencon has become highly political, and these mandates are just more of the same.  
Good to see your word of the day calendar is getting some use.

Posted by donaldbain sovietprince

sovietprince wrote:
how exactly are they going to enforce people to wear a mask outside the vending and gaming rooms? If regular people don't have to follow who to say I not a regular person until i want to go into those rooms?
If you’re showing a badge, you need to be wearing a mask.  You could take it off soon as you’re in the hallway, but any guard seeing that should boot you from the con.

Is there a definite reason the ICC can’t be ‘con only’?  It’s a public space but can exceptions be made?  

Posted by mnemosyn donaldbain

donaldbain wrote:
mnemosyn wrote:
Any masking or vaccine requirement is Lysenkoism.  Gencon has become highly political, and these mandates are just more of the same.  

Is that condescension fitting with the forum rules?  Why behave that way?

Posted by mnemosyn donaldbain

donaldbain wrote:
mnemosyn wrote:

Is that condescension fitting with the forum rules?  Why behave that way?

Posted by lanogironu squirecam

squirecam wrote:
joho wrote:
Badges can be ‘shared’ a bit too easily. I’d imagine it will be something identifiable like a tyvek wrist band, the kind you get at a music festival that is waterproof and affixed by a bouncer to be too tight to slip of your wrist intact. I’d imagine they could have a few dozen outdoor checking areas where the Gencon team members can review proof of vaccination and affix the band. 
then they just need people ‘showing their band’ upon entering the ICC or other Gencon spaces. 
That seems like hour long waits every day for a new wristband. Unless people are supposed to wear it 24/7.

I've been to a few festivals/conventions with those bands and usually you are supposed to wear it for the duration of the convention. Typically it's not a big deal as long as you make sure it's put on comfortably to begin with. I'd be happy with that option for GenCon and just hope the lines to get bands are handled well.

Posted by mikeboozer donaldbain

donaldbain wrote:
mnemosyn wrote:
donaldbain wrote:
mnemosyn wrote:

I have been more then patient. This is indeed not called for.

Resorting to snippy comments will not be tolerated

Mike 

Posted by sovietprince donaldbain

donaldbain wrote:
sovietprince wrote:
how exactly are they going to enforce people to wear a mask outside the vending and gaming rooms? If regular people don't have to follow who to say I not a regular person until i want to go into those rooms?
If you’re showing a badge, you need to be wearing a mask.  You could take it off soon as you’re in the hallway, but any guard seeing that should boot you from the con.Is there a definite reason the ICC can’t be ‘con only’?  It’s a public space but can exceptions be made?  

Don't see how they can do that since nothing says you have to be a gencon customer the entire time in the convention. Unless they bought the entire convention then outside of the places requireing a badge the mandate is unforceable. 

Posted by donaldbain sovietprince

sovietprince wrote:
donaldbain wrote:
sovietprince wrote:
If you’re showing a badge, you need to be wearing a mask.  You could take it off soon as you’re in the hallway, but any guard seeing that should boot you from the con.Is there a definite reason the ICC can’t be ‘con only’?  It’s a public space but can exceptions be made?  

Don't see how they can do that since nothing says you have to be a gencon customer the entire time in the convention. Unless they bought the entire convention then outside of the places requireing a badge the mandate is unforceable. 

The website says "everyone participating in Gen Con Indy — including all attendees, exhibitors, gamemasters, event organizers, and event staff — will be required to wear a mask" so what constitutes participating? If you do something in a Gen Con area that requires you to have a badge?  Seems fuzzy, but that wouldn't be a off the wall definition.

I was asking if Gen Con can 'take over' the whole convention center.  The ICC website says 'we will work with our clients one-on-one to determine their desired policies for both risk mitigation efforts' so is closing it off a possibility?  Have a badge check at the entrances and make it no entry without one.  No football makes this seem possible, but there may be other considerations since it is a public space.   

Posted by squirecam donaldbain

donaldbain wrote:
sovietprince wrote:
donaldbain wrote:
sovietprince wrote:

The website says "everyone participating in Gen Con Indy — including all attendees, exhibitors, gamemasters, event organizers, and event staff — will be required to wear a mask" so what constitutes participating? If you do something in a Gen Con area that requires you to have a badge?  Seems fuzzy, but that wouldn't be a off the wall definition.I was asking if Gen Con can 'take over' the whole convention center.  The ICC website says 'we will work with our clients one-on-one to determine their desired policies for both risk mitigation efforts' so is closing it off a possibility?  Have a badge check at the entrances and make it no entry without one.  No football makes this seem possible, but there may be other considerations since it is a public space.   
You can’t have badge checkers standing outside the doors. There are too many entrances and you would have lines of people standing outside in potentially uncomfortable weather. 

Posted by samlamiam donaldbain

donaldbain wrote:
sovietprince wrote:
donaldbain wrote:
sovietprince wrote:

The website says "everyone participating in Gen Con Indy — including all attendees, exhibitors, gamemasters, event organizers, and event staff — will be required to wear a mask" so what constitutes participating? If you do something in a Gen Con area that requires you to have a badge?  Seems fuzzy, but that wouldn't be a off the wall definition.I was asking if Gen Con can 'take over' the whole convention center.  The ICC website says 'we will work with our clients one-on-one to determine their desired policies for both risk mitigation efforts' so is closing it off a possibility?  Have a badge check at the entrances and make it no entry without one.  No football makes this seem possible, but there may be other considerations since it is a public space.   

Going to that extreme seems over the top. 

I say this sincerely and with no snark or malice at all - I think if a person's health circumstances are such that they are so concerned by the possibility of encountering a person without a mask that they want stricter mask rules than last year, then Gen Con Online is probably a better fit.  I mean, isn't that kind of why that option is available?

Edited to add this thought:  Last year I played a lot of games that lasted 3-4 hours in the gaming hall and everybody briefly removed their masks to eat and drink during those games.  So -- we will encounter unmasked people in the halls and at the tables even if we are all abiding by the rules.

Posted by mikeboozer sovietprince

sovietprince wrote:
donaldbain wrote:
sovietprince wrote:

To be clear. When it is purchased by us it becomes our space.

Mike

Posted by mps squirecam

Posted by sovietprince mikeboozer

mikeboozer wrote:
sovietprince wrote:
donaldbain wrote:
sovietprince wrote:

To be clear. When it is purchased by us it becomes our space.Mike
so all non gencon attendees will be forced to put on mask?

Posted by cinnibar

If Gen Con gets the ICC to agree to this,  then yes,  the ICC definitely enforces in the ICC as they desire. 

'Public Space', hah!  It's owned, folks,  they can be as lax or rigid as they desire. 

Posted by mikeboozer sovietprince

sovietprince wrote:
mikeboozer wrote:
sovietprince wrote:
donaldbain wrote:
sovietprince wrote:

To be clear. When it is purchased by us it becomes our space.Mike
so all non gencon attendees will be forced to put on mask?

I'm answering the question about who owns the space. Not making an announcement about what the policy will be.

Mike

Posted by kevinrg

GC went through 2021 with people playing nice and following the rules.   Not sure how much ICC/GC is going to need to control the general space given GC people police themselves fairly well anyways.   Talking about staffing multiple entrances and skywalks with ICC staff (since they are checking badges and doing security) to control going in and out.  5 days of GC/24 hours and how many entrances?  That is a lot of man hours and cost (which I assume comes out of GC's pocket) to stop a few random non-Gencon goers cutting through.  

Plus, what is going to happen is you are going to create a bottleneck (especially along Capitol which I'm not sure the fire dept will like.. but that is a different issue) to get back in and, because you aren't in the ICC, a mask isn't required outside so... everyone is just huddled together waiting to get it.   If you are that worried about being in an environment without masks, you've created an environment of a situation that you are trying to avoid anyways.

Posted by joho

This may be a novel thought, but we could don our masks as we near the ICC, help speed the process of getting vaccine verified by lining up in a orderly way to provide our proof, and remind those around us to respect the convention, vendors and fellow attendees by being prepared and helping all of us to follow the rules of the convention so we can focus on games.

Posted by helenbb lanogironu

lanigironu wrote
I've been to a few festivals/conventions with those bands and usually you are supposed to wear it for the duration of the convention. Typically it's not a big deal as long as you make sure it's put on comfortably to begin with. I'd be happy with that option for GenCon and just hope the lines to get bands are handled well.

The cons I've been to that require a check all do this. By far, the best wristbands are the cloth-like ones, that are comfier and (if necessary) can easily be washed. The Tyvex-type wristbands get dirty and mangled and are often itchy or scratchy on the skin.

Personally, I'm hoping for restrictions to be lessened, but if not, then for something on the badge which is not uncomfortable or problematic to wear. Wristbands are annoying... although not nearly as annoying as masks.  

The other advantage or something on the badge is that then the badge-checkers (who now also have to be medical status checkers) can easily verify both things by looking at one item. I've been at so many cons where getting onto the Exhibit Floor is a clogged line because the badge-checkers now have to not only look for badges but force everyone to pull up their sleeves and show their mangled Tyvex wristbands... sigh.

Posted by lanogironu

Agreed on a badge indicator, that's why I thought it'd have been great if GenCon had opened up a vaccine card submission portal along with the first health update of 2022, it would be easier for security and attendees if only a badge needs to be checked still. 

Posted by mikeboozer lanogironu

lanigironu wrote:
Agreed on a badge indicator, that's why I thought it'd have been great if GenCon had opened up a vaccine card submission portal along with the first health update of 2022, it would be easier for security and attendees if only a badge needs to be checked still. 

For many reasons Gen Con is not doing that. Time to move on as you have now brought it up twice.
Reposting it does not move the conversation forward.

Mike

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
21 22 23 25 27 28 29
21 22 23 25 27 28 29