new health update:
( Locked)
19 20 21 23 25 26 27
19 20 21 23 25 26 27
Posted by toxic_rat general lopez

general lopez wrote:
donaldbain wrote:
papabees wrote:Here is what confuses me (legitimately, not trolling) a vocal minority...

There's maybe 20 people in this thread going back and forth, calling either side a minority vs the tens of thousands of attendees is a stretch.  Reddit and the FB fans page are mostly free of mask arguments which tells me the issues isn't as wide spread as some may think. The CDC is, as of May 3rd 2022, recommending masks in "indoor areas of public transportation (such as airplanes, trains, etc.) and transportation hubs" which is a pretty good description of Gen Con.  Masks still serve a purpose and more inconvenience now can eliminate it total later.  

Why do you need a mask mandate if the majority of attendees want to wear mask, according to their feedback, because they know thats probably not the case, and the majority of the people would not wear one if their wasn't a mandate.  
This is demonstrated in polling that suggests that people want a mask mandate in public transportation, and yet the vast majority do not wear them while using public transportation.

Posted by sovietprince

If the vendors want to be safe they can wear the m5 mask, vaccination plus that should be at least as safe as it was before covid of catching a virus.

If mask was option I prob still wear mask when the crowd gets to big but I like to be able to decide when that time is and when it feels safe to go without it for a while. 

Posted by papabees donaldbain

donaldbain wrote:
general lopez wrote:At least in Indiana we have been mask free for a long time close to a year, and only have to put them on at a hospital I rarely see anyone where a mask anymore.  
Indiana is a bad example since it's highly rightwing and was dropping masks before anyone thought it was safe.

I have to reply to this as well. Id say Indiana is a good example because as right-wing as we are (and boy are we), we dropped the masks quite awhile ago and are doing just fine. 

Posted by donaldbain

If you call being 16th highest in the US for covid deaths okay.

Posted by fethbone

Can confirm Indiana is fine, coming from a neighboring state where I had to commute there for basic  services that were unavailable in my state for a much longer period, but this talk veering into birds -wings and such- and statistics is a sure path to get this thread locked.

This is one of the few times to not use The Force and to just Stay On Target.

At this point all I want is for them to make the final ruling -like, actually say "yes, that's my final answer"- before the refund/badge ship date.

"

Posted by kevinrg donaldbain

donaldbain wrote:
If you call being 16th highest in the US for covid deaths okay.

I know you are using this to suggest some type of failure, but given I believe they are the 17th most populous state, that would be in line.   I'm guessing most of the states are +/- 2 spots from population vs number of deaths.

Posted by nesbit37 toxic_rat

toxic_rat wrote:
general lopez wrote:
donaldbain wrote:
papabees wrote:Here is what confuses me (legitimately, not trolling) a vocal minority...

There's maybe 20 people in this thread going back and forth, calling either side a minority vs the tens of thousands of attendees is a stretch.  Reddit and the FB fans page are mostly free of mask arguments which tells me the issues isn't as wide spread as some may think. The CDC is, as of May 3rd 2022, recommending masks in "indoor areas of public transportation (such as airplanes, trains, etc.) and transportation hubs" which is a pretty good description of Gen Con.  Masks still serve a purpose and more inconvenience now can eliminate it total later.  

Why do you need a mask mandate if the majority of attendees want to wear mask, according to their feedback, because they know thats probably not the case, and the majority of the people would not wear one if their wasn't a mandate.  
This is demonstrated in polling that suggests that people want a mask mandate in public transportation, and yet the vast majority do not wear them while using public transportation.

I take a regional rail train to work and 90% of the people on it wear a mask even though there is no mandate.  Are you speaking from experience or just what you perceive to be true?  It may also be highly regional.  I still see a lot of mask wearing here in Philadelphia.

Posted by squirecam nesbit37

nesbit37 wrote:
toxic_rat wrote:
general lopez wrote:
donaldbain wrote:

I take a regional rail train to work and 90% of the people on it wear a mask even though there is no mandate.  Are you speaking from experience or just what you perceive to be true?  It may also be highly regional.  I still see a lot of mask wearing here in Philadelphia.
I think regions of the country have alot to do with peoples experiences.  Some states have been mostly maskless for over a year, if not longer. Not the experience in NV for me.

Posted by toxic_rat squirecam

squirecam wrote:
nesbit37 wrote:
toxic_rat wrote:
general lopez wrote:
donaldbain wrote:

I think regions of the country have alot to do with peoples experiences.  Some states have been mostly maskless for over a year, if not longer. Not the experience in NV for me.
It probably is regional.  These observations were from the Salt Lake International and Boise airports.  Boise isn't huge, but Salt Lake is a Delta hub, so there's a lot of flights from everywhere coming/going.  

One thing that we all need to remember is that our own personal experience with C-19 varies widely.  Here in Utah, we've had a lot of cases, but not a lot of deaths (about 1 in 800 where I live).  But in NYC, the rate is closer to 1 in 200.  So naturally, we'll view our own personal risk differently.

Of course, these numbers are not adjusted for any factors; it's just to give an idea of how people are likely to view their own risk based on what's going on around them.  They are also for total numbers.  I'd like to see how the stats have improved over time.  It just feels like we're all stuck in spring of 2020, when things were bad.  Now we've got a lot of recovered cases with natural immunity and a lot of vaccinated persons, as well as better treatments for severe cases.  I'm just hoping that perception can give way to improving conditions.

Posted by squirecam toxic_rat

[This post has been removed]

Posted by joho

Posted by toxic_rat

Posted by squirecam toxic_rat

Posted by roderick

Okay guys, this is getting into "Doing the Science" territory and needs to be reined way back.

Roderick Robertson
Forum Coordinator 
Gen Con, LLC. 

Posted by kevinrg

Magnus Pyke : 'SCIENCE!'

Posted by toxic_rat

She blinded me...with Science!  -Thomas Dolby

Posted by mikeboozer

Would be a shame to have to lock, or worse be banned because you are not able to comply.

I'm not issuing any warnings, if you find yourself unable to post you will know why.

Mike

Posted by papabees toxic_rat

toxic_rat wrote:
squirecam wrote:
nesbit37 wrote:
toxic_rat wrote:
general lopez wrote:
donaldbain wrote:

It probably is regional.  These observations were from the Salt Lake International and Boise airports.  Boise isn't huge, but Salt Lake is a Delta hub, so there's a lot of flights from everywhere coming/going.  One thing that we all need to remember is that our own personal experience with C-19 varies widely.  Here in Utah, we've had a lot of cases, but not a lot of deaths (about 1 in 800 where I live).  But in NYC, the rate is closer to 1 in 200.  So naturally, we'll view our own personal risk differently.
Of course, these numbers are not adjusted for any factors; it's just to give an idea of how people are likely to view their own risk based on what's going on around them.  They are also for total numbers.  I'd like to see how the stats have improved over time.  It just feels like we're all stuck in spring of 2020, when things were bad.  Now we've got a lot of recovered cases with natural immunity and a lot of vaccinated persons, as well as better treatments for severe cases.  I'm just hoping that perception can give way to improving conditions.
I live in Indy, again very right leaning. We visited Seattle a month ago and spent a great deal of time downtown. I was surprised to see a large majority of people (80% ish or more) not masking in any area that was optional. I was not on any public transportation so couldn't say. I had imagined that given the location and the typical political leanings of the area that I would see a proliferation of masking in comparison to Indy. 

We also were getting past TSA at SEA just as the mask mandate was lifting at airports and it was like graduation day. They came flying off lol. One of the American Airlines employees said they cried tears of joy in the staff meeting that day :)

All that to say, it's hard to predict where heavy masking is and isn't accepted. 

Also in regards to Indy being 16th in deaths, you are again looking at the last 2.5 years. Masks have been off in schools for four months and pretty much no outbreaks. My kids highschool has 4k kids and they are packed in the halls in passing periods. It just hasn't been an issue, which is quite the accomplishment when we typically rank like 45th in health and obesity. lol

Posted by grognard262 papabees

papabees wrote:I live in Indy, again very right leaning.

I don't think it is strictly a left/right thing.  I went to a Milwaukee Brewers game last weekend with a dozen family members, almost all of whom are highly-educated Democrats including some who work in the medical profession, and none of us wore a mask.  Why would we?  We have all been vaccinated.

Posted by dpuck1998

If given the choice, a very small percentage of people are wearing masks.  Which is how it should be, a choice! 

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
19 20 21 23 25 26 27
19 20 21 23 25 26 27