Advice for Gencon Auction
Posted by ad0ntis

I've never participated in the Gencon Auction as a seller or as a buyer.  I was thinking about clearing out my collection and figured this would be a good place to do so.

Most of the items I figure I'll just put in the consignment shop, but I have Battlestar Galactica and two expansions (Daybreak and Exodus).  The base game is in good condition, and the expansions are in near mint (we never played with the expansions much at all).

Do you think that it would be best to put these up individually, or all three together as a single auction?

Posted by bigfathairyguy

Individually. Each expansion may fetch more than the base game.

Posted by cinnibar

Note the consignment shop is price-limited, so gauge carefully.

Posted by wells

I have gone to the auction off and on for 20 years? Definitely individually, and at auction, not the consignment store. But if it's a truly valuable piece, you would probably be better served by putting it on eBay, much bigger audience.

Posted by ndgeekboy

I have some promotional posters from Duncan Hines/Crisco/Pringles of "The Empire Strikes Back." There are three posters -- Luke, Darth, and the droids -- but I have 10-12 of each one. Yeah, about three dozen posters total. And the edges on a number of them are a bit beaten up; getting stored on end can do that.

Rather than making the same mistake I did several years ago with the BK Star Wars cups and their toppers (sorry about that), I'm leaning toward putting them into the auction in one single lot. Whoever buys them can then do what they please -- sell them on eBay, give to friends, do whatever.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Posted by quarex

Haha, I remember the BK Star Wars cups and toppers.  I mean people were excited about them as a concept, just whenever there is too much of any individual thing it can seem overwhelming.

Despite that, I dunno, you would probably get a much better price for those posters if you sold them individually.  Maybe you could compromise and sell sets of all 3?  That might be the best way to make it so the buyers would not have to be resellers themselves.

Posted by ndgeekboy

Yeah, I was sort of thinking along those lines, too. Maybe put together two or three sets of the least damaged posters and put those in the auction itself, then the rest leave in bulk and put in the auction store...?

Posted by ndgeekboy

Okay, a little bit of a pickle here. I have three autographed photos of people in some sort of medieval clothing/setting (i.e., Xena; in fact, I thought the woman was Hudson Lieck when I bought the pictures years ago), but I don't recognize any of them and I can't decipher their signatures. 

On the hope that someone at the auction might recognize them but since we can't put together any entries on site, put them in the store as "mystery celebs"? Or probably just forget them, at least for this year?

Posted by jerrytel ndgeekboy

ndgeekboy wrote:
Okay, a little bit of a pickle here. I have three autographed photos of people in some sort of medieval clothing/setting (i.e., Xena; in fact, I thought the woman was Hudson Lieck when I bought the pictures years ago), but I don't recognize any of them and I can't decipher their signatures. 
On the hope that someone at the auction might recognize them but since we can't put together any entries on site, put them in the store as "mystery celebs"? Or probably just forget them, at least for this year?

If you have a blog - maybe post images of them there and share a link - I am sure the community here could help you out :)

Posted by lore seeker jerrytel

jerrytel wrote:
ndgeekboy wrote:

If you have a blog - maybe post images of them there and share a link - I am sure the community here could help you out :)

People can post images like that here on the forums, right?

Posted by jerrytel lore seeker

father bloodlust wrote:
jerrytel wrote:
ndgeekboy wrote:

That too

Posted by quarex

Guaranteed someone at the Auction would be able to recognize them if they are famous enough for you to have once upon a time bought autographed photos of them.  Well O.K., 99% guaranteed, you never know, but yes likely you could also get it taken care of beforehand.

Posted by ndgeekboy

Thanks, folks. I'll try to post them later today, after I get some sleep and after I get my printer set up and after I get some sleep and...

Posted by ndgeekboy jerrytel

jerrytel wrote:
father bloodlust wrote:
jerrytel wrote:
ndgeekboy wrote:

That too

Urgh. 

I don't have a blog, a Facebook page, or any other sort of internet presence (not only am I a very private person, I'm also incredibly boring, so just no point in doing any of that) so I can't set up any sort of links that way. And I'm not seeing how to just copy a picture and paste it into a post (sounds just way too simple), not without some sort of URL.

Any suggestions please?

Posted by kertdawg

https://imgbb.com/
It's free. (At least, I believe I used it for free in the past.) Upload the image and it gives you a URL. Paste the URL here. 

Posted by ndgeekboy

https://ibb.co/Q6fgZD1

https://ibb.co/31mWb0c

https://ibb.co/9t9kyqk

Sweet! Thanks!

Let the identifications begin!

Posted by quarex

#1 Ellen Holman

#2 Liam MacIntyre

#3 Stephen Dunlevy

Might all be from Spartacus.

This information all brought to you by Google Lens, as I have no idea who any of these people are

Posted by ndgeekboy

Excellent! Thanks! 

She looks enough like Hudson Leick that, when you're in a major Xena/Callisto mood, she could pass for her in that picture. Where the pictures of the guys came from, I don't know. Can't help but think that all three pictures were just in that one package and I didn't look past her.

Posted by kevinrg

They are all from Spartacus.  (I'm Spartacus!)

If selling, I'd put them all together.  By themselves, I'd expect probably $20 (+/-) each for Liam/Ellen.  Stephen would have limited appeal given just does stunts.   C list/border B list type actors usually don't have an insane price value on signed 8x10s.  Usually people don't collect them given concerns on fakes, general difficulty in displaying, demand and people seem to move on from shows after they have been off the air.   Normally something I'd bid on, but I already have both of them signed.

Posted by ndgeekboy

Into the auction, they'll go! All in one shot.

Thanks, Spartacus.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.