Badge sharing, ghosting
Normal
Small
Posted by chickpea

Is there anything I should be doing to ensure that the badge worn by a person belongs to THAT person? LOTS of talk of badge sharing, bootlegging, ghosting and lobbyconing with the sell out. 
If there is an obvious badge issue what should I do?

Normal
Small
Posted by andrewj.rager

Public shaming, pulling out by the ear, and throwing Catan foam bricks at them are all acceptable forms of punishment.

Normal
Small
Posted by lord thrifty the cromulent

Is that really your concern?  I would think that as a game master, you would just want to make sure everyone has a badge.  Unless you want to go through the trouble of asking everyone at your table for a photo ID.

Normal
Small
Posted by marimaccadmin

If you have a concern about the validity of a badge, you can report the concern to the nearest HQ.

Marian McBrine
Event Coordnator
Gen Con LLC

Normal
Small
Posted by roderick

If you see something blatant, *and* you're near a Staff member, Event Team or ICC security, you can try to point it out to them, but really, unless it happens in front of them, the ghost will probably disappear before they can be caught. 

If you're a GM, your duty is to make sure people have a badge, and that's it. Not to ensure that the badge belongs to them. Unless Derek has sent you something to the contrary...

 

Normal
Small
Posted by derekguder

Gen Con doesn't need to become a police state, everyone should just be more diligent about what they are already supposed to be doing: make sure all players have a badge and a valid ticket before the event begins, to avoid any issue later.

If you see something obviously suspicious or problematic, let a nearby staffer know - I would not recommend any sort of "citizen's arrest" or anything.

As a GM, your responsibility is your game or event, not the convention as a whole - but definitely let us know if you see anything weird so we can deal with it. That's our responsibility.

-
Derek Guder
Event Manager
Gen Con LLC

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke derekguder

derekguder wrote:Gen Con doesn't need to become a police state

Many attendees are really passionate about enforcing the "rules". I'm very glad that Gen Con is taking a much more measured approach.

____________________________________________________
Alec Usticke, Unofficial Gen Con Indy Facebook Discussion Group

Normal
Small
Posted by chickpea

Awesome! Thank you!

Normal
Small
Posted by david campbell austicke

austicke wrote:
derekguder wrote:Gen Con doesn't need to become a police state

Many attendees are really passionate about enforcing the "rules". I'm very glad that Gen Con is taking a much more measured approach.____________________________________________________
Alec Usticke, Unofficial Gen Con Indy Facebook Discussion Group

That concerns me... the last thing anyone should want to deal with is folks without the proper authority or training attempting to enforce rules they may or may not completely understand.

If someone wearing a security shirt or official staff badge wants a closer look at my badge or to check ID? Great. Anyone else is going to get ignored, and if they persist reported for harassment. 

Normal
Small
Posted by miked david campbell

david campbell wrote:
austicke wrote:
derekguder wrote:Gen Con doesn't need to become a police state

Many attendees are really passionate about enforcing the "rules". I'm very glad that Gen Con is taking a much more measured approach.____________________________________________________
Alec Usticke, Unofficial Gen Con Indy Facebook Discussion Group
That concerns me... the last thing anyone should want to deal with is folks without the proper authority or training attempting to enforce rules they may or may not completely understand.
If someone wearing a security shirt or official staff badge wants a closer look at my badge or to check ID? Great. Anyone else is going to get ignored, and if they persist reported for harassment. 
you my want to check gen con policies.  GMs are required to check that all participants have a valid badge.  So if you are at one of my games and refuse to show your badge you would be the one reported

Normal
Small
Posted by miked

Hosting policy page 12

Normal
Small
Posted by david campbell miked

miked wrote:
david campbell wrote:
austicke wrote:
derekguder wrote:Gen Con doesn't need to become a police state

Many attendees are really passionate about enforcing the "rules". I'm very glad that Gen Con is taking a much more measured approach.____________________________________________________
Alec Usticke, Unofficial Gen Con Indy Facebook Discussion Group
That concerns me... the last thing anyone should want to deal with is folks without the proper authority or training attempting to enforce rules they may or may not completely understand.
If someone wearing a security shirt or official staff badge wants a closer look at my badge or to check ID? Great. Anyone else is going to get ignored, and if they persist reported for harassment. 
you my want to check gen con policies.  GMs are required to check that all participants have a valid badge.  So if you are at one of my games and refuse to show your badge you would be the one reported

Badge yes, photo ID no. Of course no one is going to refuse to show a badge... is that really what you inferred from what I said? I'm concerned about well meaning people trying to play 'Spot the counterfeiter'. Leave that for security and the staff.

Yes, by all means, ask me to show you my badge. If you want me to take it out of it's holder so you can closely inspect it to make sure it's valid? Different all together.

Normal
Small
Posted by miked

You posted before I could post.  Not to be ripping on you because if I'm walking through the con and someone asks to see my badge who isn't wearing a gen con staff, security or someone I know works for gen con my response would be "go f yourself". And the f would be the full word.  
As for checking badges all I do is look to see you have one and if not a four day it's good for the day of the event.  Since you can buy tickets for friends and family I don't even check the name on the ticket with the name on the badge.  Just that both are good

Normal
Small
Posted by david campbell miked

miked wrote:
You posted before I could post. 

You can tell I'm bored and getting itchy, hanging out on the forums, waiting for next week to roll around.

This time next week I'll be wrapping up my second game at The Ram and getting ready for the beer and music on Georgia Street.

Normal
Small
Posted by garhkal david campbell

david campbell wrote:
miked wrote:
david campbell wrote:
austicke wrote:
derekguder wrote:Gen Con doesn't need to become a police state

Many attendees are really passionate about enforcing the "rules". I'm very glad that Gen Con is taking a much more measured approach.____________________________________________________
Alec Usticke, Unofficial Gen Con Indy Facebook Discussion Group
That concerns me... the last thing anyone should want to deal with is folks without the proper authority or training attempting to enforce rules they may or may not completely understand.
If someone wearing a security shirt or official staff badge wants a closer look at my badge or to check ID? Great. Anyone else is going to get ignored, and if they persist reported for harassment. 
you my want to check gen con policies.  GMs are required to check that all participants have a valid badge.  So if you are at one of my games and refuse to show your badge you would be the one reported
Badge yes, photo ID no. Of course no one is going to refuse to show a badge... is that really what you inferred from what I said? I'm concerned about well meaning people trying to play 'Spot the counterfeiter'. Leave that for security and the staff.
Yes, by all means, ask me to show you my badge. If you want me to take it out of it's holder so you can closely inspect it to make sure it's valid? Different all together.

Badges.  Vee don't kneed no stinkin badges! ;)

Normal
Small
Posted by roderick

Alright guys, chill down. no need to strut and posture.  No-one is asking to see your papers. 

Roderick Robertson
Forum Coordinator; Gen Con, LLC. 

Normal
Small
Posted by nialith roderick

roderick wrote:
Alright guys, chill down. no need to strut and posture.  No-one is asking to see your papers. 
Roderick Robertson
Forum Coordinator; Gen Con, LLC. 
I wonder if those Papers, Please cosplayers will be back. They could be posted at one of the entrances. :-)

Normal
Small
Posted by chickpea

Just asking IF there is something I am supposed to be doing. Relieved to know that I can just run my events as usual :) 

Normal
Small
Posted by roderick

Nope, just run the best darn game you can :-). 

Normal
Small
Posted by chickpea roderick

roderick wrote:
Nope, just run the best darn game you can :-). 
That I can do :D

New Post Sign in to write a new post.